Kitten diarrhoea

Pearlyy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, I'm new to this site but I read up a lot of helpful advices here so I would like to seek help from you all. I brought back a 2 month old kitten about a week ago and he has been having soft mushy poo from then. I fed him royal canin kitten wet and dry food (which is the same as what his foster mum had been feeding him) but he started to reject the wet food recently. I bought him Purina proplan canned food instead and he gobbles it up. I have another older kitten about 7 months old and they are getting along fine but my older kitten started having soft mushy poo about 2 days ago. My older kitten have had no diet change etc. I'm not sure what is wrong but they're both active, drink a lot of water and enjoys their food be it wet or dry. Do I need to take them to the vet? Attached picture of my 2 month old kitten poo.

My 2 month old kitten knows where his litterbox is at and goes to his litterbox to pee and poo but he also seem to always want to poo on the floor..

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pearlyy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I brought my 2 month old kitten to the vet 3 days after bringing him home and he has just finished his course of dewormer too. Does dewormer cause diarrhoea in kittens? I didn't have diarrhoea in my older kitten (he was 3 months old when I gave him his dewormer)

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Deworming can cause soft poo but since your other kitten is getting soft poo too I would call the vet to let them know. My vet often lets me just bring a sample of the poo to them for testing and that is much easier than trying to take the kitties. You could ask if they could test a sample.
Welcome to the site and please let us know how the kitties are doing.:welcomesign:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pearlyy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your help! I've called my vet as per your advice and they're told me if my older kitty continues his soft poo for another 2 days, I should bring him in for a check, as well as poo samples from them both. Will definitely update here again on their status!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please, ask your vet for a complete fecal test, including Giardia, even with the snap test for it.
Be aware that Giardia could even not be detected at a first test, and sometimes a second or third test is needed.
Normal dewormers do not treat Giardia, which requires a different approach.