Kitten diarrhea

Kittycatsub

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone hope your day is well , I’m hoping anyone can help me . I rescued 11 foster kittens from the shelter all bottle babies the day they were supposed to be euthanized. I was only supposed to take three but someone brought the litter of 5 and another litter of 3 that day and they definitely put me on the spot saying they thought I was taking them all and that’s why they held them after hours for me . Lol I’m crazy I know . Anyways I had to take some of the kittens to the vet and that basically drained my entire bank account. I’m 23 working a minimum wage job which I’m almost positive I’m fired from because I haven’t been able to go back to work :( There are hardly any vets if any that have any availability so it was extremely hard just to get that appointment and I waited 6 hours each time in a waiting room. Once for the appointment and and a second time for medication. The diarrhea has Not Stopped and guess what… I now have diarrhea as well and it looks EXACTLY The same as the kittens . At this point I’m exhausted, overwhelmed and terrified. The vet basically told me he didn’t know and he obviously is overwhelmed with cases so I don’t think he really cares . I tried Albon and it didn’t work . At this point I don’t even have any more money to go back to a vet and the shelter told me they’re so overrun with animals that they have no one to take them . The shelter told me and I quote “ you can bring them back and we’ll have to euthanize them if they have diarrhea but you can have another group of kittens if you want “ . LIKE WHAT?!? I’m at my wits end and I just need advice , I’ve scoured the internet for days and can’t find anything . What the hell is infecting us ??? I’m just so tired .
I’ll attach picturesof the kittens diarrhea. I did suspect coccidia and tape worms but everyone’s saying you can’t treat tape worms until kittens are 6 weeks old ..these kittens have such bad diarrheathat if it keeps going this way they’ll most likely not make it ? I mean isn’t it super damaging and dehydrating to have diarrhea this bad, and yes I’ve been administering fluids . I feel their pain because it’s the same for me and I’ve lost all my appetite. This really sucks I’d love some advice . Sorry for the long post

I have successfully gotten three kittens Complete diarrhea free and they are in a separate room .All the other kittens are separated individually in the same room and I’ve been steam cleaning constantly . I’m suspecting coccidia or giardia, maybe even tape worms as well but like I said the vet was ZERO help .

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kittycatsub

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You should get to the vet and have them tested for parasites and other icky things.
I also mentioned that I drained my bank account caring for these kittens from the shelter and the shelter basically said they should be euthanized because they have diarrhea.. I do not have a car right now so it takes a lot for me to get to a vet let alone every vet in my area has no openings , even emergency vet said I could come but it would be hours in a waiting room not to mention they could deny me .I can’t be in a waiting room with kittens spraying diarrhea for hours and not being given their milk or pedialyte. I also now have the exact same diarrhea as the kittens so now I’m also going to have a huge medical bill as I had coffee ground in my poop just like the kittens . I’m suspecting giardia unfortunately. Such a disaster I’m very stressed

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you call around to local rescues and see if they will take them into their program? Kittens get dehydrated quickly when they have diarrhea.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I suspect Giardia also. Everyone, including you, needs metronidazole for 7-10 days. Can you ask a shelter if they will sponsor you as a foster for these kittens so that they can provide the meds at no cost?

I admire you for taking in these poor kittens to give them a chance, and I’m sorry you are dealing with this.

Where are you located? Kittycatsub Kittycatsub

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Google something like "cat rescue (your city, state)" and see if anything comes up that might be useful.

Kittycatsub

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you call around to local rescues and see if they will take them into their program? Kittens get dehydrated quickly when they have diarrhea.
Yeah I tried . Unfortunately cause they are the shelters “property “ they have to go back at 8 weeks old to be adopted but I already have adopters lined up so that when they get there they are immediately adopted out and will not even have the chance to be euthanized. But yeah the shelter would have to take them back from me and give them to a rescue organization themselves because I could get in serious trouble if I give these kittens away on my own without permission from the shelter . :( they are so over capacity that when I called about the diarrhea she basically said on the phone they didn’t care and whatever I do is up to me and that I can bring them back but they’ll just euthanize them because they have way too many animals and they’re already suspected “sick” . I realized these high kill shelters in LA definitely do not care at all. :(

Kittycatsub

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I suspect Giardia also. Everyone, including you, needs metronidazole for 7-10 days. Can you ask a shelter if they will sponsor you as a foster for these kittens so that they can provide the meds at no cost?

I admire you for taking in these poor kittens to give them a chance, and I’m sorry you are dealing with this.

Yeah I’ll have to go to an Urgent care I guess and explain . The shelter didn’t care at all when I called and explained, they said they don’t have the time or resources. It’s okay I ended up getting my hands on the medication for giardia from the vet without going in , hopefully it works . & it’s okay it’s been the hardest thing ever , I’ve been up for like 2-3 weeks straight now . I just hope they make it through . <3
I also am located in the valley / LA

HeyKat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you're going through this. 11 bottle babies for one person is madness. I recently had just 5 sickly 3-week olds and I nearly cracked under the stress and sleep deprivation. You're an absolute hero.

I hope that after this you can find a rescue to work with that treats you like a human being. That shelter sounds awful and you don't deserve to be emotionally blackmailed into taking all this on.

Would it not be possible to get the shelter to agree to hand over the kittens to a rescue? If you've done the legwork of finding a rescue willing to take them, I don't see why the shelter would refuse.

I really hope the metronidazole helps. Good luck and thank you for everything you're doing for these babies.

Joelle and the kittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Just a note that thankfully the giardia variant that usually infects cats is not transmissible to humans. Same with coccidia (phew!).

Kittycatsub

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry you're going through this. 11 bottle babies for one person is madness. I recently had just 5 sickly 3-week olds and I nearly cracked under the stress and sleep deprivation. You're an absolute hero.

I hope that after this you can find a rescue to work with that treats you like a human being. That shelter sounds awful and you don't deserve to be emotionally blackmailed into taking all this on.

Would it not be possible to get the shelter to agree to hand over the kittens to a rescue? If you've done the legwork of finding a rescue willing to take them, I don't see why the shelter would refuse.

I really hope the metronidazole helps. Good luck and thank you for everything you're doing for these babies.
That’s a good point I’ll ask around my area and see if a rescue will take them and the shelter will OK it . I honestly feel so sick and then on top it , the parasites :( I really hope these guys make it , I would be heartbroken especially after all this to see them pass . I have 3 that are perfectly healthy now and I have them in my other room now . I’m grateful for that at the least .
thank you so much though I really appreciate it . This has been so hard ! Also those kittens were so lucky to have you !! Good job <3

Kittycatsub

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just a note that thankfully the giardia variant that usually infects cats is not transmissible to humans. Same with coccidia (phew!).
So I went to the doctors and YEP I tested positive for giardia :( I am in soooo much pain so I can only imagine these little kittens . It’s awful !!
i’ve been wearing gloves this whole time so I can’t really figure out how I got it other than the fact that it’s easily transmittable & there was one time where a kitten literally flung the diarrhea off her tail and it got on my shirt and face but I would never have suspected it got in my mouth.Really gross but hey I’m honest, and I hope if this happens to someone else they can look at my post and not feel so bad ! Lol

Kittycatsub

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What medication did the doctor give you, and what meds are the kittens on?

Again, so sorry you all are suffering through this.
Kittycatsub Kittycatsub
So the vet actually gave me fenbandazole, which is technically off label use but it worked fast . 0.01 ml a day and they are clear now . I was cleared from giardia after like 4 days on wormwood and diatomaceous earth , Ive been having lots of kidney issues and just lupus issues so I didn’t wanna take YET another antibiotic . It worked tho I’m clear :)
Also I gave the kittens kochi free and wormwood cleared by the vet , just two drops each a day and it worked . They’re stools are SO much different and better .

Kittycatsub

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So the vet actually gave me fenbandazole, which is technically off label use but it worked fast . 0.01 ml a day and they are clear now . I was cleared from giardia after like 4 days on wormwood and diatomaceous earth , Ive been having lots of kidney issues and just lupus issues so I didn’t wanna take YET another antibiotic . It worked tho I’m clear :)
Also I gave the kittens kochi free and wormwood cleared by the vet , just two drops each a day and it worked . They’re stools are SO much different and better .
Sorry I meant “ THEIR” lol

Dogslover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How many days u gave fenbendazole to kittens?