Kitten Diarrhea

ifwewerebirds

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We adopted two 7 mo old kitten from Petco two weeks ago. If you didn't dig in their box, you'd think they were totally fine. Great appetite, fur coat, energy, etc. However, we've been dealing with diarrhea. The lady who runs the rescue took fecal (not sure of the test method) the night we brought them home and said it was Giardia. We gave two rounds of Panacur to both cats and cleaned their room like crazy people, but it only improved slightly.

They ran a Elise? (the antigen) fecal at our vet and it came back negative of Giardia. So, after the two rounds the vet suspected possible Coccidia. He gave us Albon. We gave a 2x dose the first day, then 4 regular doses to both cats. It took two days, but then we had regular poop for 48 hours. They took their last dose last night, however, Loki had diarrhea again this morning.

Is is normal for the diarrhea to be somewhat intermittent as they recover? We've bathed them twice already and wash all bedding every 2-3 days in super hot water. We give them food on paper plates, water in plastic cups and throw them away twice a day and give them fresh ones. We empty their box 10x per day and sanitize the box every 5 days. We wipe everything down (including ourselves) with Lysol wipes and wash our hands every time we touch them, food, box, etc.

I bought a steamer yesterday. We plan to bathe them again today and steam the whole room and wash all fabric again. They're currently eating 1 1/2 cans of FF Classic Turkey per day plus RC Kitten dry as supplement. This was the same food they had with the rescue. I know the dry isn't great, but I didn't want to change their food yet since I wasn't sure of the cause yet. Trying to limit variables. As I said, they look and act great, and they seem happy.

Any advice? TIA.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you are doing everything right. I have found it can take quite some time to totally get rid of Giardia, or coccidia. I had a kitten with both, and as the vet said every parasite known to man :( it took Multiple treatments over a 3/4 month period before he was completely over it and well. He also got better, then worse so many times. Now two years later he is the picture of health, can eat anything and everything, never a digestive problem one! there is hope :)

I also would not change their foods right now. They are use to this, and i might not add a new variable in for now. If you do, my kittens always did well on Merrick dry kitten food. fancy feast classics are good.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hang in there. This can certainly take time to get under control. And if you do decide to switch foods, do so slowly. Mix a small amount of the new with the old, and gradually increase the new while decreasing the old food.