Kitten Diarrhea. Help!!

Goldsmithkitten54

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We need help with our 12 week old kitten. When we brought him home he started have loose stools. We took him to the vet for a check up and he tested positive for round worms. Gave him the medication for the parasites. His diarrhea got worse. Called the vet and they prescribed him a probiotic. Gave that some time to see if it would help. No luck. Continued to have diarrhea. He then started having accidents outside his litter box, I can only assume due to stress from the diarrhea. We took him back to the vet, they did another stool sample to make sure the worms were gone. His stool came back clear. Then they put him on metronidazole, and said the diarrhea should stop within 24-48 hours. They also put him on a prescription food. Hills Gastrointestinal Biome. We are still doing the antibiotic, and I am giving him the probiotic in between in hopes for restoring gut heath. Before starting the metronidazole his stool also smelled really bad. That has stopped, but diarrhea continues. We had brief success with some slightly formed stools (soft serve ice cream texture) when giving him pumpkin. But the diarrhea continues. He seems to be uncomfortable when he poops, still has accidents. Otherwise he is eating and drinking a lot, still playful, and is otherwise a healthy kitten per the vet. Really need some help in what we should do next! Thanks

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just thinking out loud here. Is the Hills food chicken? Often cats are allergic to chicken, as is mine, maybe try a cat food that is not chicken, you will know if that's the culprit in a few days. Also, I have had a lot of luck with s boulardii for firming up the stools.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Goldsmithkitten54

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, the foods first ingredient is chicken! Never knew cats had trouble with that. Where do you get s boulardii? Thank you for the reply

creamsicle478

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had similar problems. Used to be an outdoors cat before I adopted him from a shelter. He had diarrhea nonstop, fecal sample came back negative, so we tried probiotics - didnt help, and then antibiotics - didn't help, and a couple days later I found roundworms in his poop (so fecal sample was a false negative), and then dewormer, and then more antiobiotics (Tylosin), and switched food to Royal Canin GI food, and about a month and a half later since first diarrhea, he's finally having hard poop. So I think it just takes a long time unfortunately :/ at least in my case. He was on antibiotics for a week when it was getting better (soft poop but not liquid) when we stopped and started giving probiotics, but the diarrhea came back, so we did another 10 days of tylosin and we're on day 8 now and he's been having hard poop. We are giving him a booster dewormer on Monday just to get rid of all of them, but yeah diarrheaa sucks and sometimes it just takes a while. Best of luck with you!