KITTEN DIARRHEA AND TROUBLE EATING

Waheeda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So one of the kittens i feed had diarrhea today (brown, watery) and he looks like he wants to eat, but he cant. its been 3 days since he ate properly. His teeth hurts i think. He isnt depressed, is active but not much. He is occasionally sneezing/coughing, but its nOt frequent.Can someone help me out here? I cant take the kitten to the vet cuz of personal issues that id rather not talk about. he is a stray so not attacking for taking him to vet will be appreciated.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You didn't mention the age of the kitten, but if pretty young, going three days without eating is not good at all. It's not good even for an adult, but for a kitten, even worse unless they are also nursing. If he is teething, that doesn't normally cause them to stop eating. Could it be that he's congested and doesn't smell the food? If that's the case if you can, put him in a steamy bathroom to try to clear out his sinuses. If you can't do that (possibly outdoors only kitty?) then can you at least put some food directly into his mouth? sometimes even if they can't smell it, if you put it in their mouths they then can tell it's food. You might have to do this over and over until he's eating. But he might indeed need to be seen by a Vet depending on what the real issue is, and particularly if he's a tiny kitten. You might see if the humane society will help with that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Waheeda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You didn't mention the age of the kitten, but if pretty young, going three days without eating is not good at all. It's not good even for an adult, but for a kitten, even worse unless they are also nursing. If he is teething, that doesn't normally cause them to stop eating. Could it be that he's congested and doesn't smell the food? If that's the case if you can, put him in a steamy bathroom to try to clear out his sinuses. If you can't do that (possibly outdoors only kitty?) then can you at least put some food directly into his mouth? sometimes even if they can't smell it, if you put it in their mouths they then can tell it's food. You might have to do this over and over until he's eating. But he might indeed need to be seen by a Vet depending on what the real issue is, and particularly if he's a tiny kitten. You might see if the humane society will help with that.
He ate a bit of tuna which I gave as a last straw. Just a bit. He doesn't seem to want to eat more. He is now less active. Whatever the cause is, it's progressing. 😭

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I know the other cat that has eating issues has FIV. Is it possible this kitten has it too? Or FeLV? If they are strays, they probably aren't vaccinated :frown:. I'm not saying this is the problem, but might be. :vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Waheeda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know the other cat that has eating issues has FIV. Is it possible this kitten has it too? Or FeLV? If they are strays, they probably aren't vaccinated :frown:. I'm not saying this is the problem, but might be. :vibes::vibes::vibes:
He's started to eat alright. Today he didn't eat any dry food but ate plenty of wet food and cooked chicken. I think it was mycoplasma transmitted from the FIV kitty since I noticed that the kitten had dark yellow urine. I had noticed dark yellow urine in the FIV kitty too (his name is Whistle, the kitten is Namer). So maybe it was just mycoplasma that resolved on its own. Hopefully it won't come back!