Kitten diagnosed with possible asthma/bronchitis

emulations

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 8 month old kitten might have asthma and I'm so upset. From the moment I got her, I felt her breathing was too audible for a cat (she snores) but during her first vet visits her lungs were ok and it was put down as her being a noisy breather.

Yesterday morning she had a coughing fit while she was playing with her tunnel and some catnip (taking that away) and I took her to the vet asap. Vet said she could hear something in her left lung so she got X-rays done. The radiologist wasn't in apparently but Monday I will get an official diagnosis but the vet said it could either be an infection (there was signs of this in x-ray) or beginning of asthma but she felt it was more likely to be asthma related with a possible infection on top.

In the meantime, she has a liquid steroid (Prednisolone ) and antibiotic. Once I get a call back early next week, depending, could proceed to change treatment . I should note that the vet said whatever it is, it's very mild and my kitten's behavior is otherwise 100% normal (lots of playing, eating, normal litter box use) and she has only had this coughing fit once before

My cat is indoors, spayed and a single cat. Her most persistent symptom is that I can hear a slight whistle/wheeze when she is breathing through the nose.

Anyone else has a cat who developed asthma while a kitten? I'm just upset and scared; my last cat lived to 16 years old but the last two years I spent it dealing with his chronic kidney disease and all that it entailed and it was very stressful. I'm sad my kitten is so young and might already have a chronic condition. Any kind words or advice or anything would be appreciated.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had MANY cats who breathe noisily and snore loudly. My Yammy does right now! My Dutch almost died from distemper when he was a kitten and it scarred his lungs badly. if he gets sick, it REALLY affects his lungs. They are both almost ten years old. Your kitten could have a mild infection that the meds could be clearing up right now. Keeping the humidity high really helps, make sure you encourage water, which thins secretions, and keep a supplement around, like Nose Relief (on Amazon) for times when it gets worse. some vets give an inhaler and nebulizer treatments, which mine did for Dutch, and when he gets sick, I put him in a carrier, drape a sheet over it, and snake the nebulizer hose into the door. Under the sheet. Or give the inhaler under the sheet too, into the carrier through the front door. Much easier than trying to get a struggling cat to participate. I haven't used them in a long time, i give DMG to them every day to maintain their immune systems and it really worked. It just becomes bad when they are sick. my cats have leukemia so are really susceptible to illnesses. good luck, and try not to worry, yours might 'outgrow' it anyway!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emulations

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had MANY cats who breathe noisily and snore loudly.
My kitten is a snorer for sure and she does exhale loudly sometimes (kinda like how us humans sound when we exhale out of frustration/anger/tiredness) but she only does this usually while sleeping.

Thank you for all the advice. I am really hoping it's just an infection and not possibly lifelong asthma.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emulations

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I forgot to mention that the vet said her white blood cell count was a bit high from her last blood test (taken end of January as part of the spay procedure) so I'm wondering if it's possible for an infection to linger so long? I havent had her tested for leukemia or FIV yet since it's quite costly and I'm saving up to be able to do it soon.