Kitten Diaganosed With Fip Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i took in a stray kitten about a month or so ago. Today at the vet shes diagnosed with FIP which i was told theres no cure and 100% fatal. Almost cried when i heard this :(
Right now she wobbly on her feet but still has a huge appetite. The vet recommended i put her down but i dinthbave the heart to make that decision. Can someone offer me any advice to somehow save her. I know it takes a miracle but idk...sigh

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: Oh NOOOO!!! That dastardly specter, FIP.... First, I offer my prayers and vibes for your kitten & you :vibes::vibes::vibes:
And a link to a very good PDF article from UC Davis that discusses all treatments for FIP and the sobering results for each:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://ccah.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/sites/g/files/dgvnsk4586/files/inline-files/FIP%20Treatment.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwi7787yvYDlAhUygK0KHdCpBgMQFjAKegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw1u4HepmyhLLCDAujjj3E_c&cshid=1570119940259

There are several groups who you can check out (I cannot endorse them - maybe you can discuss with your vet): FIP Warriors has lots of info -
Zen By Cat | House of Nekko | FIP Warriors | Share Stories

I have one cat who is now almost 5 but tends to be sickly who was diagnosed with FIP and I gave him herbs as a last ditch effort plus Biomoxx during his most critical stage as a kitten - he is too feral to treat by hand so I am very limited to treating him with herbs during flare-up. My vet is familiar with using herbs and approves my use of them - I use slippery elm, marshmallow root, licorice root, black elderberry (I save the unsweetened pulp from jelly making and freeze it), red raspberry leaf, lemon balm and German chamomile. Please note that we cannot recommend or advise you on treatments (nor should you blindly follow online advice because of quack medicine) - you might need to consult a holistic vet if your regular vet cannot guide you. I was raised using herbs, especially because my father's maternal great grandfather was a healer for the Pala tribe and his paternal grandmother was a Yaqui bruja - each tribe seems to have its own ideas & protocols on plants (just as some tribes eat fish & reptiles but for others nearby, those are abominations). I also have used North American ephedra (commonly names include Squaw Tea, Mormon Tea, Desert Tea) but backed off after the Chinese ephedra got banned in California - using ephedra takes experience, especially needing knowledgeable observation skills.
I CAN recommend non-systemic approaches such as using acupressure and dry-brush massaging to help assist the lymph and other elimination systems. Most pettable cats enjoy the light, circular massaging motions of acupressure on their inner paws and on their ears.
Please keep us updated - you are not alone during this difficult time! :cheerleader::heartshape::grouphug2: :redheartpump: :grouphug: :soldier::soldier::soldier::soldier::soldier:

Last edited:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
FIP is a horrible disease. While it is usually fatal there are rare instances of it not being. It's also one of those "we ruled everything else out which leaves this" so even if the vet thinks FIP, there is a chance it is something else. I'd say as long as she is eating and has a good quality of life it isn't time to say goodbye.

I'd probably get a second opinion from a different vet. Ask if they are willing to prescribe an anti viral (there has been some promising research with anti vitals). It also wouldn't hurt to see a holistic vet at this point, if the second opinion agrees, and see about alternative options to extend life and improve quality of life. At this point, it's pretty much try whatever sounds possible and see what happens.

If it helps any, my boy was sick about a year ago. Couldn't figure it out,mixed symptoms, nothing seemed to help and the vet told me we should consider the possibility of FIP. I got a second opinion and it turns out my boy was constipated and in pain so he was reacting to other minor issues as well making it seem like more items. He got an enema and on medication to control his arthritis, all better. That isn't to say your kitten is the same but until a second vet confirms hold out hope that maybe the first one just missed something.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My thoughts and prayers are with you. As long as she is loving life, keep her with you as long as you can. She will tell you when she can't go on. The power of love can perform miracles, as can the power of prayer. We are here for you, you don't have to be alone. There is strength in many, and many here have gone through this horrible disease with their little ones. I cry for your pain, please give that precious girl a kiss for me.....

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So sorry to hear that she might have FIP. In addition to the above information you were given:

Was she tested to confirm that she has corona virus? If not, that is a starting point as if she were negative for the corona virus, she most likely wouldn't have FIP. That is the virus (which is common in many cats) that can mutate into FIP under certain circumstances.

Below is an article that talks about testing opportunities, as well as symptoms, to help in confirming FIP. Easier done if she has the wet form, harder with the dry form. With the wet form, she would be accumulating fluid in her belly, which can be drawn out and tested. Tissue biopsies are what is needed most times for the dry form. Also, not necessarily a guarantee, but the dry form usually is accompanied by a fever - does she have a fever?

https://idexxcom-live-b02da1e51e754...c75ac/feline-infectious-peritonitis-virus.pdf

FIP is sometimes a 'go to' diagnosis for some vets, so a second opinion and pushing for applicable testing should definitely be considered. Our thoughts, hopes, and prayers are with you and your kitty.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You have been given very good advice above. I will just light a candle for your baby girl now, and please let us know how she is. Love her for as long as you have her, and when (AND IF) her life is no longer a pleasure to her, help her move on to her Next Great Adventure.

00LitCandle.jpeg

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Join the FIP Warriors group on FB - people there have a ton of information and experience with FIP kitties, and can help you get meds to treat your cat if you want to pursue treatment. There is hope!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the kind words. Im afraid the end is near. She stops eating and drinking all together. Shes laying in my chest covered with a blankie. Theres nothing i can do and that makes me feel so helpless. Just watching life being suck out of her slowly. :(

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you all for the kind words. Im afraid the end is near. She stops eating and drinking all together. Shes laying in my chest covered with a blankie. Theres nothing i can do and that makes me feel so helpless.
Having lost a young cat at the age of 3 years old to FIP I sincerely empathize with you. Sending special thoughts your way, we are all thinking of you and hoping for the best. :grouphug: However, if she succumbs to this awful disease please know that you were her guardian angel. :angel:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the kind words. Im afraid the end is near. She stops eating and drinking all together. Shes laying in my chest covered with a blankie. Theres nothing i can do and that makes me feel so helpless. Just watching life being suck out of her slowly. :(
While it feels as if you cannot do anything, please realize that you ARE doing something - covering her with a blankie and sharing your comforting warmth and love. My heart screams at the unfairness of it all - she is so young, so loved, so WANTED - she wasn't a street cat with no opportunities for happiness, she has a home, a family, so much to live for!!! :gaah: But know that she will depart on a journey that all of us must take, to return to our Creator and the ancestors and those yet to be born.
Are you giving her unflavored pedialyte to keep her hydrated? If she seems nauseated, give her just a few drops at a time. Also, rub honey or white karo syrup on her gums, to keep her blood sugar up. Dehydration is unpleasant, especially for kitties. If she seems especially uncomfortable, then it's time to let her go as comfortably as possible. Sometimes the end arrives so quickly but sometimes it takes a compassionate ending by the vet. Please know that we are with you in thought and spirit - you can reach out to any one of us via Private Message or here in the forums.:grouphug2::hearthrob::redheartpump::grouphug:

ashenshugar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You may also try Colloidal silver.

When they had some chest congestion we gave it to our cats and it cleared it up in a few days. Yes, there's a lot of controversy over Colloidal Silver, but through our own experimentation it seems to always have a positive impact on viral infections on both our pets and ourselves.

Make sure you use a true colloidal though, and not one based on salt which is a no-no.

They talk about it at another thread on this site.

Colloidal Silver and Coronavirus/FIP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She died in the middle of the nite. I heard her last dead throes but thought she was just moving around. Found her frozen stiff in the morning.

I just dont understand God sometimes. Why do helpless animals have to go thru something this terrible. She was just a baby with so much to live for. So many mice to chase. So much cat nip for her to enjoy. Her life was cut short and its totally unfair. Hot dang it!!!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She died in the middle of the nite. I heard her last dead throes but thought she was just moving around. Found her frozen stiff in the morning.

I just dont understand God sometimes. Why do helpless animals have to go thru something this terrible. She was just a baby with so much to live for. So many mice to chase. So much cat nip for her to enjoy. Her life was cut short and its totally unfair. Hot dang it!!!
I am so sorry my friend. Sometimes life is just not fair.
FIP is a nasty, nasty disease. We've had their lives cut short too, and there's nothing in the world that can fix that or make it go away other than knowing that in their short time here, they had all the love they could get. We had a great foster litter once, and one of the kittens failed to thrive and died before his 7th week. During those weeks with us, he had all the toys, good food, cuddling, vet care and love he could stand.
Sometimes I think when we're given a little pet that has a bad disease with little hope, we're given them for that reason alone, so they know what love is before they pass. And you delivered good on that. At least she didn't pass on as an unknown stray kitten, all alone. She was taken care of, loved, vetted, held, cuddled, and knew that love.
:alright:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
J Johnv713 .....oh, no.....I am so sorry....in her brief time, she knew the joys of cuddles, good food, toys and a safe warm bed. Her tiny body said "this far and no farther" , but nothing can cause her misery any longer. We have been in your situation before & feel your pain.....I guarantee that you made her last days and hours much easier for her. I hope and pray that we here at TCS are able to make the upcoming hours and days easier for YOU. :alright::grouphug2:

Status
Not open for further replies.