Kitten "cry" meows while I wash dishes

Jenn567

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten is about 9 weeks old and since getting him I realized that he meows very loud and persistently whenever I'm in the kitchen washing dishes or just doing chores. At first I thought it was because he smelled food but it happens even when I'm not cooking. He would try to climb the cabinets or my leg, one time he actually succeed and climbed all the way onto my shoulder! I'd stop to pet him, play with him, give him food, but he'd just come right back and continue until he tires himself out and just lies down until I'm finished.

Why is he doing this? Is he just looking for attention or is he just that curious about what I'm doing on the counter where he can't see. His meows are so persistent it's like something is wrong, it's a little worrying.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Both. Curious and attention. My 7 year old cat still cries if she does not see me. The climbing will eventually stop.

karen.balch72

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Jenn. Congratulations on being a Kitty Superhero! I think you might be onto something with he's curious about what you are doing that he can't see. When he did make it to your shoulder, did he seem a little more content? I saw on an episode of 'My Cat From Hell' Jackson suggested to have a spot for the kitty to sit where it could be out of the way but feel 'part of the action' and treat when kitty just sits quietly and watches.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My 4-years cat walks in the kitchen, meows and climbs furniture when I pick a plastic bag. That is because the bags makes a pretty similar noise to the wet food bags.

We let a chair just for the cat to sit and watch us cooking. I suppose he loves the variety of smells. :-).

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of minish's proudest moments was when she could jump on the kitchen counter. It's where we prepare food so always a place of attraction even only for observing. Like solomonar solomonar I provided minish with a barstool same height as the counter and got her used to staying by giving treats. I offer her the things on the counter for smelling so she sits still and we do kitchen chores together. This was after 15 weeks though I don't know if a 9 week old would understand

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He may be hungry, as most kittens are, and associates the kitchen, especially plates, as a food source. 9-week old kittens should be fed several times a day and as much as they will eat until almost a year old. The 'pleading', insistent meow sounds like hunger.

Sarabismom

Sarabi & Augustus 🥰
Young Cat
Purraise
He may be hungry, as most kittens are, and associates the kitchen, especially plates, as a food source. 9-week old kittens should be fed several times a day and as much as they will eat until almost a year old. The 'pleading', insistent meow sounds like hunger.
I agree with this! He’s probably hungry.Gus is 12 weeks and he does that whiny meow when I go into the kitchen sometimes too. I mix a little warm water with his wet food so if he hears the faucet turn on he comes running when he’s hungry!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jenn567

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Jenn. Congratulations on being a Kitty Superhero! I think you might be onto something with he's curious about what you are doing that he can't see. When he did make it to your shoulder, did he seem a little more content? I saw on an episode of 'My Cat From Hell' Jackson suggested to have a spot for the kitty to sit where it could be out of the way but feel 'part of the action' and treat when kitty just sits quietly and watches.
He was quiet when he got onto my shoulder and was ready to get on the counter and explore! That’s a great idea to have him higher up and see what’s going on, he’s apart of everything else I do I guess he felt a little left out. I will try this!

karen.balch72

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
... he’s apart of everything else I do I guess he felt a little left out.
That was Jackson's comment, too! The "family time" was just as likely to be in their kitchen cooking together any Kitty caused "trouble" trying to make a spot to be a part of family time there too. The family had great stuff around for Kitty to be a part everywhere else, just didn't think about just how much time they spent in the kitchen until he brought it up. Enjoy your times with your new friend!

See you around the scratching posts :bluepaw:

Jenn567

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That was Jackson's comment, too! The "family time" was just as likely to be in their kitchen cooking together any Kitty caused "trouble" trying to make a spot to be a part of family time there too. The family had great stuff around for Kitty to be a part everywhere else, just didn't think about just how much time they spent in the kitchen until he brought it up. Enjoy your times with your new friend!

See you around the scratching posts :bluepaw:
Yes that makes so much sense now! I would love to see this episode if remember which one it is!

karen.balch72

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would love to see this episode if remember which one it is!
Oh my gosh, sorry. I don't remember. I'll sit and binge several episodes at a time on my down days. While not always a personal situation, I'll find a nugget or two in most episodes. His YouTube channel is nice too for little teaching bites.
Sorry if I send like his ad agency, lol.

Jenn567

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh my gosh, sorry. I don't remember. I'll sit and binge several episodes at a time on my down days. While not always a personal situation, I'll find a nugget or two in most episodes. His YouTube channel is nice too for little teaching bites.
Sorry if I send like his ad agency, lol.
Oh no worries. You were still very helpful, thanks!