Kitten Containment Box??

BertyRiley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
New to indoor kittens - my stray cat just had 5 babies on Saturday, and I know they will stay in the birthing box for a while yet, but what do you do when they get older? My husband is thinking of moving out our kitchen table and building them a containment box 6 ft x 4 ft and let them live in there until they are old enough to fix and adopt out.

What is normal? what do people do with indoor kittens? I've always had fixed cats and barn cats that disappeared for 5 weeks until they showed up with their crew.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BertyRiley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh - we will be fixing Mama once it is safe to do so. Vet said in about 8 weeks. She has become an indoor cat since adopting us.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Until mama is done nursing them, she needs access to them - and actually beyond that for as long as she wants to and as long as you have them. That box sounds a bit big for her to get in and out of. Can't you get a large crate and line the bottom edges with something like baby bumper pads - one with a door that you can let mama in and out of?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BertyRiley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I guess I should clarify, it would only be 1ft tall open top, 6ft long, and 4ft wide... think a puppy whelping box size. The open top so she can hop in and out, the kittens would eventually be able to, too - but by then they should be able to eat and litter box on their own.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I guess I should clarify, it would only be 1ft tall open top, 6ft long, and 4ft wide... think a puppy whelping box size. The open top so she can hop in and out, the kittens would eventually be able to, too - but by then they should be able to eat and litter box on their own.
Gotcha!!