Kitten comes when he wants attention, but runs away when I walk to him

Suné Serfontein

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took in a stray 2 weeks ago and he has come a lot out of his shell recently. I am guessing he is around 6 to 7 weeks old now.

He is most comfortable in my room and when I lay on my bed, he will climb up and purr as he comes to me for attention or some playtime. But. When I go to him when he's on the floor, even if I go slowly, he runs away. I can just enter the room, or even if I've been in the room for quite some time, he still runs away.

Why does he do this? Is there maybe something I can do so that he won't run away when I approach him? Is it because he's a stray that I have to show him that he doesn't need to run away from me when I approach him? If so, what can I do?

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat has lived with me for almost 14 years and still sometimes does this. Especially if someone is wearing shoes or making eye contact!

I think your guy is just still a little unsure. If you want to approach, I would try making yourself smaller by sitting on the ground several feet away and then scooting towards him slowly. I would avoid eye contact too, and maybe have something fun with you like his food or some treats or a toy.

If he still runs away, I'd just let him approach you for now. His trust will most likely grow with time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Suné Serfontein

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has lived with me for almost 14 years and still sometimes does this. Especially if someone is wearing shoes or making eye contact!

I think your guy is just still a little unsure. If you want to approach, I would try making yourself smaller by sitting on the ground several feet away and then scooting towards him slowly. I would avoid eye contact too, and maybe have something fun with you like his food or some treats or a toy.

If he still runs away, I'd just let him approach you for now. His trust will most likely grow with time.
Thank you, I will do that!!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sunny578 sunny578 's advice was good. Cats don't trust a person everywhere in all contexts at first. So its totally normal that the bed is the first place the kitten is totally trusting. Your very quiet and chill on the bed after all. One of the funniest examples I've seen posted, was a woman whose stray cat trusted her first when she was in the bath. She took longgg baths, and was always quiet and chill. You can build more spots by calling the cat and being very quiet and chill. The floor, for certain, but the spots you reall want to work on are likely beside you on the couch or on your lap or the armrest when your in an armchair. Don't force anything. Just teach the cat that there is a noise (or tap the spot) that means you have time to pet the cat.

Also like Sunny, I currently have a cat, my 7th, that has always been a little skittish. No reason for it, was adopted as a young kitten, but once in a while skittishness is a character trait rather than a temporary thing. Much much too early to know if you have that, and most likely the skittishness will totally fade away over time. But if you do have a skittish cat? Thats no big deal. My skittish cat has a bunch of spots that she is comfortable seeking affection, and I can often call her to other spots. I can't just put her on my lap or pick her up, but she is a very affectionate cat on her terms.