Kitten Color Prediction

Beatenegg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hope experienced breeders out there can help me with my question.

As the tittle shows, can you tell what would be the possible coloration of the litters based on the below pairing?

Queen (black) x Tom (blue)=???

Queen's parent - blue queen x tabby tom
Tom's parent - blue queen x red tabby tom

Thanks in advance.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For a simple answer:
Queen (black carrying blue) x Tom (blue) = Kittens could be blue or black, with each kitten having a 50% chance of each color.

You wouldn't expect tabby kittens, since that is a dominant gene.
You also wouldn't expect red, tortoiseshell, or patched tabby / torbie.

What breed are you working with? A complete answer depends what other recessive genes may be present (such as colorpoint, chocolate, etc).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Beatenegg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For a simple answer:
Queen (black carrying blue) x Tom (blue) = Kittens could be blue or black, with each kitten having a 50% chance of each color.

You wouldn't expect tabby kittens, since that is a dominant gene.
You also wouldn't expect red, tortoiseshell, or patched tabby / torbie.

What breed are you working with? A complete answer depends what other recessive genes may be present (such as colorpoint, chocolate, etc).
Thank you for the response.

I asked this question because I read somewhere in the web that male kittens only have one color gene which comes from the Queen while female kittens have two color genes (1 from both queen and tom).

BTW, queen is a black Scottish fold and tom is a blue BSH.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I asked this question because I read somewhere in the web that male kittens only have one color gene which comes from the Queen while female kittens have two color genes (1 from both queen and tom).
That's true for sex-linked genes (located on the X chromosome). The "orange" (red) gene is sex-linked. Males inherit red from their mothers, females inherit red from both parents.

However, the other color genes such as solid (non-tabby), dilute (blue), colorpoint, chocolate, etc., are not sex-linked. Cats inherit these other genes equally from both parents.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Beatenegg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's true for sex-linked genes (located on the X chromosome). The "orange" (red) gene is sex-linked. Males inherit red from their mothers, females inherit red from both parents.

However, the other color genes such as solid (non-tabby), dilute (blue), colorpoint, chocolate, etc., are not sex-linked. Cats inherit these other genes equally from both parents.
Ohhh, that's much clearer now. Thank you for the explanations.