Kitten/cat Intro Progression - Pushing The Line

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
YAY! It sounds like a big success and like they will get along well for years to come. Good job!
Thanks! Not purrfect yet - but certainly MUCH better!

I just got home, both were in the kitchen to greet me and Bean was rolling around for belly rubs with the kitten right by her. A gigantic improvement! All I know is Luna wants to play with her so badly!

Soon!

I think in within a month any residual annoyances will be a thing of the past.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's a few days later - Luna has been officially fully integrated into our household :purr:

Being as for the most part things are relatively peaceful between her and Cocoabean now (there are still periodic dust-offs) we decided to not to put Luna in her room last night and see how that went.

Well, it was absolutely fine. Better than we could have expected. All was peaceful, heard nothing between the two cats all night. Luna somehow managed to jump onto our bed at some point (we were surprised as the mattress is on the high side) and I woke up around 4am to find her sound asleep at the foot of the bed. Then, both cats let us sleep until 7:00 am (could not believe that!) and woke up to find Luna squeezed between my husband and I, looking very very comfy.

Went downstairs to feed the cats, that went well. Luna seemed to understand that she now has her "place" to eat on the other side of the room and didn't try to nudge her way into Cocoa's plate. Cocoa ignored Luna completely so that was good also.

The day was peaceful between the two of them until around 8pm. I've noticed that seems to be a bewitching hour for Luna where she gets a second wind and starts to hound Cocoabean to play but, Bean is just not quite yet ready for this yet. I just watched Luna chase Bean up the stairs about 1/2 hour ago. I redirected Luna back down to play with her and give Cocoabean a break.

Not yet perfect but day by day getting better and better.

PS: I don't know about other Maine Coon cats but this one is ridiculously lovable. I can't tell you how many times a day she comes over to crawl into my arms, wanting belly rubs and chin scritches, and to just nap on me. My husband is vocally jealous. She puts Ragdolls reputations to shame. I am her most definitely her human.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yay!! It's definitely a relief when you don't have to separate them at all anymore.
Yes, for sure. Especially at night.

It's sure weird though with them. Sometimes Cocoa is perfectly ok with Luna being around her, just goes about her business and as I mentioned a few times they almost look like they will play - yesterday my husband had the tunnel out and they both were going in and out of it, sort of chasing/following each other but - not quite. And then this morning Cocoa slaps the kitten down for coming near her first thing in the morning; although I think it may have been a territorial thing because we were in the bathroom and that's were her litter boxes are and the kittens boxes are elsewhere. She may have been defensive about her resources.

I did figure out one small way of avoiding little arguments - when I feed them I now put Luna's dish down first so that she isn't rushing over to stick her face into Cocoa's dish. That was an epiphany of sorts LOL. Lets Cocoabean eat her fill in peace and walk off since Luna tends to chow down her whole portion in one sitting, while Bean does not.

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sometimes I noticed Grey cat slapping Noodle almost out of the blue when she would come up or sneak up on him. It doesn't really happen anymore, I think he really had to drive the point across that he would not be tolerant of her jumping on him and trying to play, but to the point where he would do it just when she got in his space and surprised him. It seems like older cats need to really make themselves clear for a while but then they calm down once they feel sure the young cat gets the point.

That food trick is a good one- simple but effective. And I dont think cats care who gets fed first, unlike dogs. I will remember that one!

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is really wonderful! I’m glad they are okay with each other now. Don’t worry about the occasional swats/hisses. Even us humans do that to people we see everyday. Hehe. I guess it’s like us during our bad day/moods and we snap at people. We just make a BIG deal when cats hiss at each other...like the world is about to end. Lol.

Oh well...cat lovers

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is really wonderful! I’m glad they are okay with each other now. Don’t worry about the occasional swats/hisses. Even us humans do that to people we see everyday. Hehe. I guess it’s like us during our bad day/moods and we snap at people. We just make a BIG deal when cats hiss at each other...like the world is about to end. Lol.

Oh well...cat lovers
Things are going a lot better now.

Cocoabean has stopped hissing at Luna. Haven't heard her do it since about oh, last Friday I think it was?
They can pass each other around the house easily now, sit near each other no problem and yesterday both were sitting in our bed relaxing with my husband together too. Didn't last too long, but it happened :hyper:
Luna is a bit shell shocked though I think LOL. I see her kind of flinching near Cocoabean - expecting the hiss now. I am sure that it will take a little more time for her to now realize that she's not going to do it!

We also left them alone in the house Saturday night for the longest time period thus far. We had a wedding to attend, not too far from home, but knew we'd be gone a good amount of time. Was a total of 6 hours and nothing was amiss when we returned so we were quite relieved to see that also.

Unfortunately Luna gave Cocoa her kitten flu though :p Had them both at the vet Saturday morning. Bean was kind of "coughing" and sounded congested, was off her food somewhat because of it - she got an antibiotic injection (seems to have done the trick quickly). Luna received an teramycin eye ointment and Clavamox liquid via syringe to give her because she never fully recovered from the slight crustiness she was getting and still was sneezing periodically. That's fun (NOT) but we're experts at sick cat care having spent several years dealing with an elderly kitty with multiple illnesses.

Luna is no match for our kitten wrangling powers of medical enforcement
:flail:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We officially have playing/chasing each other around the house :hyper:
Last few days Cocoa has warmed up to Luna much more to the point where this morning around 4:00 am, the kitten obviously was chasing her around, and she leaped onto our bed, onto our sleeping bodies LOL.
We forgave since it meant they were having fun together.
So all told, it took a month to get to this point. Not too bad at all.
Next big step will be to see them grooming each other.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Update

Luna and Cocoa hanging.
They play, relax, no more hissing, share litter boxes and food bowls. Bean is much more relaxed and happy than she was last month. No grooming yet but then again Luna is too go-go-go for that yet. But we are thrilled that they've reached a peaceful co-existence and more.

cat friends.jpg