Kitten care

Veahkee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten is about 3 weeks old and her tummy and legs are red and her skin is peeling..also she is losing fur by her tummy

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there any way to post a picture so we can see what is going on? Red skin and losing fur is often related to allergies, what are you feeding her? 3 weeks old should still be getting a bottle. Are you giving her goats milk or kitten replacement milk? cows milk can cause all kinds of problems in cats. It may also be from you stimulating her to go to the bathroom, perhaps all the rubbing, and then not getting her completely cleaned or dried. What are you cleaning her bottom with? Make sure it is for cats, or use a warm wet washcloth with no soap. Maybe StefanZ StefanZ can help, he is an expert on kittens. I wish her well, you will be blessed for caring for her......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Veahkee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I give her kitten replacement milk and yes I do bottle feed her and I use baby shampoo to wash her after I stimulate her.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What brand of kmr? Baby shampoo should be OK, but perhaps it may be the culprit... If nothing else, if the shampoo isnt rinsed thoroughly enough, it may give irritations...

Ps: I see I was called upon, but I didnt not got the notice...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Clean the kitten with just a warm damp cloth, nothing else. Do not rub too hard. Apply coconut oil to the bare spots and hopefully the kitten will heal soon. If it does not, then please see a vet for advice.

Veahkee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Its a Hartz brand

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please do not use Hartz! It makes kittens sick. It may be what’s causing problems besides too much bathing and rubbing. I always advise against Hartz products across the board.

Please get powdered PetAg or GNC or Royal Canin. Any of these are high quality. Walmart has powdered PetAg; pet stores will carry the others.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its a Hartz brand
Ouch...

Another alternative to the above mentioned kmr is, goats milk, and even raw goats milk if you can get it.

But. You are washing him frequently. I suspect he has frequent diarrheas?

If so, he will need more salts than usually. You can use pedialyte, best such a flavorless pedialyte for human babies.
But you can always begin with a trifle common kitchen salt the first day.

Veahkee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please do not use Hartz! It makes kittens sick. It may be what’s causing problems besides too much bathing and rubbing. I always advise against Hartz products across the board.

Please get powdered PetAg or GNC or Royal Canin. Any of these are high quality. Walmart has powdered PetAg; pet stores will carry the others.

Okay thank you

Veahkee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ouch...

Another alternative to the above mentioned kmr is, goats milk, and even raw goats milk if you can get it.

But. You are washing him frequently. I suspect he has frequent diarrheas?

If so, he will need more salts than usually. You can use pedialyte, best such a flavorless pedialyte for human babies.
But you can always begin with a trifle common kitchen salt the first day.
Yes he has diarrhea and do I mix it in his milk if so how much do I give him?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can mix powdered KMR with unflavored Pedialyte instead of water. This will give him the additional electrolytes he needs. I’m guessing the switch will stop the diarrhea in a day or two.

Have you picked up a new brand of formula yet?

Veahkee Veahkee