Kitten cannot meow post-spay

scarletfire

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

I recently adopted 2 kittens from an adoption agency, currently doing foster-to-adopt. One of them, Lily, was spayed on Nov 25, 2019 (exactly 1 week ago). Since then, she cannot meow. She also has periodic dry coughing and she licks her lips right after, most likely because she was nauseous maybe, after reading a few posts. She's already 1 week post-surgery. She's seeing the vet on Thursday, December 5, 2019 for her last vaccination booster shot and to check the stitches. I've asked the adoption agency for permission to see the vet (as they are currently "fostered" and the adoption agency is currently the registered owner) also for her dry vomiting and lack of meows as she was quite vocal before, and she still tries to be vocal, but just comes out as a... well... scratching sound. Does this warrant an earlier visit to the vet, or leaving it to Thursday is okay?

Sorry if I sound a bit.. nervous.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's okay to be nervous. It's good to share your worries with someone else, and we are all cat lovers here. Her hoarseness may be due to being intubated - it does that to humans, too. I think it can wait until Thursday, but if it really worries you, call the vet's office and ask.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
My guess would be that the anesthetic they used...either gas....or perhaps a tube, may have irritated her throat, but hopefully not her vocal cords.

If it were me, I would call the Vet tomorrow, and ask about the 'non-meowing'....and dry coughing.
If it is dry vomiting then that would be more serious.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there, reading the title of your thread reminded me of a thread that I have seen before around here.

Here it is: Can cannot meow post spay.

In that thread, PushPurrCatPaws PushPurrCatPaws said that it could be from throat irritation associated with intubation, and IndyJones IndyJones said that their cat couldn’t meow for a week post-op.

I would recommend calling the vet tomorrow, and see if they think she should be brought in earlier.

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
My male kitten Lucca had a raspy hit and miss meow 😆 (very cute but it worried me too) when I adopted him the day after his neuter. Also a “cough” brought on by the intubation. She’ll probably be okay but definitely see the vet because they can rule out anything serious. Lucca still occasionally lets out a squack of a meow that is adorable to me💕🐱

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scarletfire

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone. She eats, poops and pees normally, although she takes a significantly longer time to eat now.

I've called the vet and left a message.

How long did it take your cats for their voice to become normal?

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
Well lucca’s was fixed October 9th, I got him the 10th, and it’s pretty much normal now. It sounded like that till a couple of weeks ago. Even now though it can “disappear” as he meows. Reminds me of a boy going through puberty lol! I’d say a month and it’ll probably come back...