Kitten breed

Alyssaruiz11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys I’m a new cat owner only owned dogs in the past. I got a kitten from a lady who was giving them away she told me she was 7 weeks when I got her but the vet told me she was closer to 5 weeks old. So right now she is about 7-8 weeks old and she is a total sweetheart she was totally black and white when I got her but now she has lightened up! I’m wondering what she can be or what is more of her dominant features! Let me know what you guys think!
06086C46-746E-4E63-B7B2-2D3AE275D2EB.png
42016060-3D5D-42BF-AEB0-0C6651B38A8A.png
D32BC435-A341-47F6-A44D-6D13B95F748F.png
CCF3C766-8E25-4959-B17F-4E6B2DC22C03.jpeg
652F824B-90F6-4AC6-A15F-6F795B274921.jpeg
DC81E415-0497-4198-958D-2F2DEC44CF6A.jpeg
F57798A7-3910-4E97-B421-9F856D661ED5.jpg
1B1ADCEB-204A-42B8-9892-96A1CFB80E32.jpg
AA0F5531-8C7C-4854-B579-FA6840AA6F39.jpg
A69F4C68-1A5C-4D0F-B122-3E82A50E6AD6.jpg

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's adorable! I would describe your kitten as a black and white domestic shorthair. Most cats are not any particular breed, and are also not "mixes" of breeds, unlike dogs, so we call them domestic shorthair or longhair based on coat length. Cats don't need to be any breed to be wonderful pets, though... domestic shorthairs are great cats :)

Young kittens at her age haven't fully developed their adult coat color or eye color, and it's common for black kittens to have "ghost tabby markings." These ghost markings will probably go away when she gets her adult coat, and she will become simply black and white, although some black cats retain faint ghost markings into adulthood. Her eye color will also change as she grows up, and will probably become either gold or green.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your kitten was taken from her mother away too soon! First, you should be feeding her kitten food. Both wet/meat and dry/kibble. The kitten grade food should be fed until she is a young adult. Usually, one year of age. Plus,a saucer or two per day of Kitten Milk Replacement. (KMR) It will help provide her with the fat, portions and minerals she needs to grow. For 12 weeks. Buy the powdered form. then you just mix what you need.

She may have behavour problems as she grows older. Mom cat did not have time to teach her how to be a cat. But TCS members will be able to help if you have problems. Attractive kitten!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alyssaruiz11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your kitten was taken from her mother away too soon! First, you should be feeding her kitten food. Both wet/meat and dry/kibble. The kitten grade food should be fed until she is a young adult. Usually, one year of age. Plus,a saucer or two per day of Kitten Milk Replacement. (KMR) It will help provide her with the fat, portions and minerals she needs to grow. For 12 weeks. Buy the powdered form. then you just mix what you need.

She may have behavour problems as she grows older. Mom cat did not have time to teach her how to be a cat. But TCS members will be able to help if you have problems. Attractive kitten!
Yes the vet told me same as well she is on kitten dry food and kitten wet food mix. She also has a saucer of KMR she gets daily I do have the powdered can! She goes to her next vet check up next Sunday to get all her age appropriate vaccines! When I got her she was having very runny poop I think they were feeding her very cheap food that was not good for her! But now her poop is perfect

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
She is a beauty. I am wondering about her eyes. I know that at four weeks of age their blue color starts to change, so I am wondering hers are going to remain blue.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Generally, a black and white kitty will not have blue eyes, unless it has a lot more white markings than this kitten. Blue eye color is associated with white, mostly white, or colorpoint (pointed) coat colors.

It can take some time for eye color to develop, though. Kittens develop at different rates.

Alyssaruiz11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is a beauty. I am wondering about her eyes. I know that at four weeks of age their blue color starts to change, so I am wondering hers are going to remain blue.
That’s what I was wondering too cause I was reading they usually change color at about a month old but she’s about 7 weeks right now. And will be 8 week approximately on Sunday. The vet told me typically a 1 pound cat would be 4 weeks and a 2 pound kitten is around 8 weeks. And based on her teeth and size she is 7 weeks now and weighs 1.7 pounds

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Generally, a black and white kitty will not have blue eyes, unless it has a lot more white markings than this kitten. Blue eye color is associated with white, mostly white, or colorpoint (pointed) coat colors.

It can take some time for eye color to develop, though. Kittens develop at different rates.

By four weeks of age the color of a kitten's eyes are starting to come through. She is roughly between 5- 6 weeks old and her eyes are as blue as Paul Newman's.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
That’s what I was wondering too cause I was reading they usually change color at about a month old but she’s about 7 weeks right now. And will be 8 week approximately on Sunday. The vet told me typically a 1 pound cat would be 4 weeks and a 2 pound kitten is around 8 weeks. And based on her teeth and size she is 7 weeks now and weighs 1.7 pounds

Okay, so she is even older than what I stated. I think you have a blue eye beauty on your hands there. :)

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eyes generally start to change color between 4-6 weeks, but they can remain blue for a bit longer depending on the kitten. Here's a 7 week old Russian Blue kitten as an example... this kitten will have brilliant green eyes as an adult.

75223858_2610922528931106_7386763172620795904_n.jpg

It is unlikely that your kitten would end up with blue eyes as an adult, but it certainly would be pretty if it turned out that way! Post more pictures as she grows :)

Alyssaruiz11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Eyes generally start to change color between 4-6 weeks, but they can remain blue for a bit longer depending on the kitten. Here's a 7 week old Russian Blue kitten as an example... this kitten will have brilliant green eyes as an adult.

View attachment 322003

It is unlikely that your kitten would end up with blue eyes as an adult, but it certainly would be pretty if it turned out that way! Post more pictures as she grows :)
Aww yeah most likely then her eyes will change soon! That kitty is so cute looks like a little koala!!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww yeah most likely then her eyes will change soon!
They will probably start to change soon... but if they are still blue when she is an adult, definitely come back and post pictures! There are occasional mutations that can cause a mostly black cat like her to have blue eyes, but this is rare.

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My 5 mo kitten had blue eyes till 7 weeks (I knew his foster mom and saw pics of him starting at 3weeks old), but by the time he came home with me at 9 weeks they were grey. They are now the most intriguing amber brown color. They changed very slowly from blue to grey to the brown/gold they are now.

Whereas our other kitten hers were gold when we brought her home at 9ish weeks old and they never budged!

Last edited: