Kitten breed/coat help

BrownieKitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Almost five months ago my cat had kittens and one of them was a very fluffy kitten. We named him Brownie; (he doesn’t have brown on him, the mother and the rest of the litter were named after baked goods.) These pictures are from when he was younger, I can’t take a new one right now because he’s sleeping in my lap and I don’t wanna bother him.

He has tabby markings all over, but his coat color ranges from white, dark gray and an off black color so i’m really not sure what to call him. Any help would be appreciated!

371A3B84-F5F3-4DCD-92BB-A0BB44C00AE5.jpeg
C524845C-7451-45C7-B560-98A0A209D5CB.jpeg

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's adorable :)

Brownie's color is brown tabby (black-based tabby). Brown tabby cats have black stripes on a brownish background color. They can vary in shade, some are more warm (orange / reddish shades) while others are more cool (grayish tan). If you take pictures of him from the side, we may be able to give you more information about his tabby pattern.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BrownieKitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He doesn't have any brown in his coat though :/

I will get more pictures

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BrownieKitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
12F43F1B-E376-4BA1-B2B4-2478E5629D6F.jpeg

If he looks a bit brown in the other photo it’s because my room’s light is a bit yellowy. He does have a bit of brown on his nose though.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I know he doesn't look brown to you, but this color is called "brown tabby" in the US, and this is the official term used by US-based associations like CFA and TICA. Genetically, it's a black-based tabby cat, so in some countries it is known as a "black tabby." The ground color on a brown tabby can be brownish or grayish. His ground color might also become warmer and more brown as he gets older. It looks like he has a mackerel tabby pattern, so he would be described as a brown mackerel tabby domestic longhair.