Kitten breathing

Pathomas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! Not sure how to post a video to explain what’s going on with my kitty so I will try my best to explain! She is about 12 weeks old and is eating drinking and growing! She’s also very active. I noticed that I can see her stomach pumping up and down really fast sometimes even when she is resting. Her whole body is moving when she is breathing. I don’t know if that’s normal or not but it doesn’t look like it. Should I bring her to the vet or is it common to see kittens breathing fast?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
To share a video, upload it to somewhere like youtube, and paste the link into a post. Hard to say how normal it is without seeing the kitten breathing.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Can you time her breathing, breaths per minute? Normal rate is 20-30 breaths/minute. That's quite a bit faster than normal human breathing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pathomas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
here is a video of it. I counted 25 per 30 seconds and x2 would be 50.

Pathomas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! Here is the link

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
When does she start breathing like this? Is it after play or a stressful situation? Or will she just lay there calmly and breathe like that?

Pathomas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She will do this while she is just laying calm. She is eating, drinking water, going to the bathroom normally, and is still very active.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She sounds normal. What you are experiencing may be purring. It sounds and looks like accelerated breathing but it may be just the cat purring to express content or to purr herself into a more relaxed state. It does not sound like you have a problem!