kitten breathing super fast

bubblepuff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi. I jus noticed this morning that my kitten is breathing really fast. about 82 times per minute. I am not sure what this indicates. I picked up this kitten when he was about 5 weeks old from the streets and he has been very healthy until the last time I gave him a bath. he didn't eat well for 2 days after which he was back to normal. now it is another 3 days after that and he started to be like this.
I haven't vaccinated the cat or anything but feed him gud cat food.
should I wait?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bubblepuff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
just want to say that the breathing has come down to 65. but he is not eating anything.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi.. Welcome to TCS!

How old is the kitten now?

Does the rapid breathing happen after activity?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Call a vet and ask them over the phone what a respiratory rate for a kitten that young is supposed to be. I would worry more now about him not eating anything, try to tempt him with tuna, sliced turkey, or anything you might have. Is there any reason you are bathing the kitten? I've had cats that are 5 years old and NEVER have been bathed, they are clean animals and clean themselves almost constantly. Maybe he is allergic to what ever you are bathing him with and is being slowly poisoned, that would account for a fast rate and not eating. Again please call a vet and ask about that too. Good luck and please keep us posted!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If the kitten is playing and active the breathing rate can go up to 60 or so. Resting it really should be between 20 - 40. Check the kittens breathing when sleeping. A high respiration rate can be caused by many factors. I would not wait to take the kitten to the vet though. Not eating is the first sign to being sick and for a kitten to stop eating means something is really wrong. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

bubblepuff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
oh Lord. I used to bathe it cuz when I cleaned his poop he used to jump into the wood pellet powder n roll around and I never really saw him clean his back. maybe just feet cuz he is still learning. my friend has now taken him away since I am going on vacation. people tell me its cuz he sensed that he was going away! I dunno how far is it true. I tried calling a vet but I couldn't get through. I am trying to get my friend to take him to a vet.
He was perfectly alright yesterday but I did notice a little less activity since I gav him a bath. one reason for that is we had a long weekend n he got to see much more of us than normal days. He always pukes when I give him a bath. I bathed him thrice in 2 months and only once he didnt puke.

the last time after the bath he wasn't eating well but was still eating and drinkin water. but this time it was barely anything. I gave him tuna and he started scratching the floor as rhough it was poop he was trying to cover. I hope he gets better soon. I just can't stop thinkin especially now that he is away from me.

bubblepuff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will call a vet tomorrow nonetheless. and the rapid breathing happened throughout the day. started today afternoon as far as I noticed. there has been no activity the whole day. all he wants is to cuddle on my lap.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would call the vet asap - at least that's what I'd do if it were my kitten. I'm with basically everyone above - the not eating is an even bigger concern at the moment. Combined with what sounds like a slightly high respiration rate - the food and now the low activity level doesn't sound good. It's possible he's just beyond stressed from the bath (it sounds like bathing is horribly stressing for him - given the puking, etc) but I really wouldn't wait to at least call....kittens (you don't say how old he is now but I'm guessing still little) can "go south" SOOOO quickly that I wouldn't wait another 24 hours if it was me.

A call won't cost anything - and when I'm concerned about something like this I at least call and ask the receptionist to actually go back and ask the vet himself if I should be extremely concerned. Again - a call is free. And since it sounds like you're a truly concerned cat parent - I'm sure you'd hate for something to happen because you waited. 

Let us know what happens! Hoping all ends up ok!

funnierthanme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bubblepuff, how is the little kitty now?  I've been reading this thread and worry so much about little ones.  If you called your vet's office, what did the vet say, or did kitty get better on his own?

How is he doing now?

bubblepuff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I asked my friend to take him to the vet but he said he would wait for a couple of days cuz he thought it would be the depression of departing from me. I kept buggin him day in n day out until he finally said that yes he is breathing well and also playimg *sigh of relief* but I am still waiting for a video so I can get the ultimate satisfaction. I miss my kitty a lot..

funnierthanme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad to hear that he's doing well.  Don't let him keep him too long.  He might fall in love with him and want to keep him.  Post an update soon.