Kitten box

dawnt91

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Muffy's babies are a bit over 2 weeks now, and I have a question about the box they're in. Right now they're staying in a laundry basket with soft towels. Muffy jumps in and out of the top. The kittens are really starting to crawl around and explore the basket. Should they be in a box where they could get out or should they stay in the laundry basket? There's no way they'll be able to jump out of this basket even when they're older because the sides are pretty high. I want them to be able to explore, but I don't want them getting hurt. I've seen some beds that people have made for their kittens that have an entrance on the side so the babies can get out. Any suggestions?

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is a good idea to have some kind of nesting bed that has an opening that mom can get in and out of all the time. Mine is about 3 inches high. When they babies are old enough, they can climb out on their own. I wouldnt really let them roam until they are about 3 to 4 weeks old or are showing some fluency in walking. Babies will crawl forever sometimes just looking for mom. They can get into all sorts of trouble and then mom usually flips because she is constantly having to find the babies.

imagyne

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We use a box that is high on all sides with the exception of a small entrance cut down on the front. That means that the kittens will not be able to get out unless they can negotiate the little entrance. It's about 4 inches from the floor and about 5 inches wide whereas the rest of the box is about 14 inches high. If you are going to do that, then I suggest that you have a room that has been kitten proofed, where they can explore when they are able to get out. This just makes it ALOT easier to work with them, not have to worry about keeping track of several kittens, ya know where to step.. and so on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dawnt91

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took your advice and changed the kitten box. I took a cardboard box that is about 3 feet long and 1 and a half feet wide and cut an entrance in it like you described. It's probably about 4 inches high (from the bottom of the box) and 6 inches across. When I put the kittens in it, they all started exploring. It's quite a bit larger than the laundry basket, so I think they'll like it. Also, one of the little ones, a cute little girl, is much more advanced than her brothers and sisters. She's already figured out how to get a paw out of the opening. I think it'll be a while until she can get out, but she sure looked cute. Of course, I snapped a couple of pics.

Thank you for your suggestions!

imagyne

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your very welcome!! and by all means.. post your pixs!!