Kitten Bowel Movements

wealthy1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My girl Missy Aerial isn’t popping. Her stomach feels a little hard. Today she sat in the litter box.

I don’t think it’s anything severe, but is there a “home remedy” to help her?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wealthy1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How old is Missy Aerial? When was the last time she pooped? What is she eating?
She is about 4 or 5 months. I don't know when she pooped last I also adopted her brother so they share a litterbox. I only had the kittens for a little over a week.

She was eating kibble at first and now she is eating dr. Elsey wet and dry food.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she is constipated it could become a serious issue, that will need vet help. I would watch closely, and if she does not poop in the next 24 hours or so i would have a vet check. Or if she starts acting like she is in pain, not eating drinking, playing, i would try to get her in sooner.

In the meantime you might try adding a bit of canned pumpkin into her wet food? Be sure its plain canned pumpkin. not pie filling. just a teaspoon or two, some cats will even eat it out of the spoon?

wealthy1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If she is constipated it could become a serious issue, that will need vet help. I would watch closely, and if she does not poop in the next 24 hours or so i would have a vet check. Or if she starts acting like she is in pain, not eating drinking, playing, i would try to get her in sooner.

In the meantime you might try adding a bit of canned pumpkin into her wet food? Be sure its plain canned pumpkin. not pie filling. just a teaspoon or two, some cats will even eat it out of the spoon?
Thank you. I went and bought some pumpkin and feed half a teaspoon to both cats.

If I don't see any improvement I'll take her to the vet tomorrow.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a plan. Did they like the pumpkin? I know some do, some not so much. Hopefully she will be all better, and use that box by tomorrow. But if not i think i would want to get vet advice on it, as they have not been with you for long, and they are still fairly young.

Glad to hear you are feeding Dr. Elseys, my guys love the chicken dry food. They are not fans of pate, so they wont eat the wet, but it looks good! We eat a lot of Tiki cat and Almo nature in my house for wet. Trying Caru, and the new weruva slide right now, not sure how thats going to go.

Keep us updated on your two! I will keep them in my thoughts! :crossfingers:

wealthy1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a plan. Did they like the pumpkin? I know some do, some not so much. Hopefully she will be all better, and use that box by tomorrow. But if not i think i would want to get vet advice on it, as they have not been with you for long, and they are still fairly young.

Glad to hear you are feeding Dr. Elseys, my guys love the chicken dry food. They are not fans of pate, so they wont eat the wet, but it looks good! We eat a lot of Tiki cat and Almo nature in my house for wet. Trying Caru, and the new weruva slide right now, not sure how thats going to go.

Keep us updated on your two! I will keep them in my thoughts! :crossfingers:
Yes they lived it. But they don't like the dr. Elsey wet cat food.

wealthy1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. How much wet food is she getting every day?
mixed wet and kibble about 3 ti.es a day. But I noticed today they both stopped eati g the wet although they were eating it a few days ago.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes they lived it. But they don't like the dr. Elsey wet cat food.
my guys love the dry, not so much the wet. You can maybe try some different brands of wet for them. different brands, different textures and flavors. Do you have a pet store nearby that sells wet food. I dont its a drive for us. But if you can buy a can of this and that, see what they like.
I am a fan of both wet and dry. Some cats do fine on only dry, if they are big water drinkers. But just as often they have issues with only dry, and constipation is one of the first signals that they are not getting enough moisture.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's probably the reason for the constipation then, not enough moisture. Yeah, try duckpond's idea of not mixing them, maybe put the wet and dry side by side on the plate or on separate plates.

wealthy1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
maybe try not mixing? my guys will eat wet and will eat dry. but they will not eat it mixed together :dunno:
I separated the wet and dry. My girl just played with her dry kibble and used it as a soccer ball. But she did eat some fancy feast earlier. I’m gong to give her some more pumpkin in the morning.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats also love pumpkin paste, not the pie one. I get the organic 100% at the Walmart. I give it to them when they're "loose." It's great for their tummies.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she will eat the fancy feast wet i would give her that, and some more pumpkin :) let us know how she is doing!