Kitten Born With Backward Hind Legs

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll look further into pumpkin seeds, do you have any other information on how the pumpkin seeds could be a con in anyway?
Pure pumpkin puree, not seeds. :) And be sure it's plain, no spices or pie filling.

It is a fiber, so too much is not good (about a teaspoon should be fine) and you need to make sure kitty gets plenty of water. The pumpkin draws water into the colon and helps firm and bulk up the stool, so if there is not enough water it can constipate, just like many dietary fibers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mint33

Jessie's Mama!
Young Cat
Purraise
Pure pumpkin puree, not seeds. :) And be sure it's plain, no spices or pie filling.

It is a fiber, so too much is not good (about a teaspoon should be fine) and you need to make sure kitty gets plenty of water. The pumpkin draws water into the colon and helps firm and bulk up the stool, so if there is not enough water it can constipate, just like many dietary fibers.
Ah pumpkin puree, ill look into it

mint33

Jessie's Mama!
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't really tell from the picture, has the kitten been seen by a vet? Could it be Swimmer Syndrome? Without knowing exactly what his condition is it's impossible to say what might happen in the future. I suggest you get your vet to check him over, but if it is Swimmer Syndrome this can be remedied while he is still so young.

In this vlog I made you can see Jessie and his legs properly

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
He's adorable! I think that might be more serious than Swimmer Syndrome, but you really need to get him diagnosed so you can start treatment as soon as possible. Kittens have very soft bones, it may be possible to correct one of his hind legs even if the other leg needs to be amputated.

I've sent you a PM.

:purr:

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Even if one leg does need to be amputated and presuming that the other can be corrected to an acceptable degree... please know that animals can do very well on 3 legs. Of course he would be an indoors-only kitty, but that's not a bad thing. Cats are much safer indoors, even those with all 4 legs. He's very lucky to have you caring for him and trying to do your best for him to give him a chance. ❤

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He's a doll, and I wish him very, very well, indeed! I did share your GoFundMe on my Facebook page, with a little back-story on him. MOST of my friends there are cat lovers.

OH...and I subscribed to your vlog on Youtube, as well!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I subscribed as well. As I have often posted, three legged animals (have one right now) can do just fine. Animals in a cart can also function very well (had two of them), so don't give up on him.

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, they can do just fine indeed. My husband and I had a three-legged kitty named Beowulf many years ago-- actually, Wulfie was his cat before we got together. Wulfie was a huge and handsome seal point Himalayan-Ragdoll mix. He lost his right front leg as an adult, due to an injury. Very soon after his amputation surgery, he was back on the courtyard fence, with his brother Hengist coaxing him and encouraging him along. After a while, he was up on the carport roof, batting blue jays and mockingbirds out of the air if they dared to try to dive bomb those boys! His remaining foreleg became massively strong and those marauders didn't stand a chance! Beowulf didn't seem fazed after losing his foreleg as an adult, so a kitten who grows up on 3 legs... well, it will seem perfectly natural.

mint33

Jessie's Mama!
Young Cat
Purraise
I subscribed as well. As I have often posted, three legged animals (have one right now) can do just fine. Animals in a cart can also function very well (had two of them), so don't give up on him.
I won't give up hope, I have a strong feeling he will do wonderfully in the future

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
M mint33 I haven't checked out all of these links, but here is a site that lists charities and groups who might be able to assist with funding care for little Jessie. Some of these might be outdated or broken links... like I said, I didn't check all of them. But there might be some help for you in there.

Pet Financial Aid Resources for Low-Income Families

And from one link that I know works comes this list, some of which may be duplicates, but there might be some additional resources in there as well that may be able to help
Additional Links For Help

Many veterinary schools offer free or low-cost services from students in training. Check the link to find an accredited vet school near you and ask if they have discounted options for care.
https://www.avma.org/ProfessionalDe...ation/Colleges/Pages/colleges-accredited.aspx

Last edited:

mint33

Jessie's Mama!
Young Cat
Purraise
M mint33 I haven't checked out all of these links, but here is a site that lists charities and groups who might be able to assist with funding care for little Jessie. Some of these might be outdated or broken links... like I said, I didn't check all of them. But there might be some help for you in there.

Pet Financial Aid Resources for Low-Income Families

And from one link that I know works comes this list, some of which may be duplicates, but there might be some additional resources in there as well that may be able to help
Additional Links For Help
Thank you very much i will check this out right now!

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I edited the post to include info about teaching hospitals. Be sure to check that, too. Texas A&M has worked with several patients from clinics where I have worked, and hopefully there's a teaching hospital in your area as well. That's a really good option, too.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I forgot to mention that if you are asked to relinquish him in order to get treatment at a teaching hospital that you need to make sure that they will treat him as best they can for his condition and not turn him into an experiment for either that condition or others.

mint33

Jessie's Mama!
Young Cat
Purraise
How's Jessie doing M mint33 ? Has he been seen by a vet yet?
We're halfway through the goal for 200 dollars. I've been calling around and we've decided which vet to go to. Now we just need to make sure we're able to pay for the full expense. And Jessie is doing amazing, although I'm trying harder to keep him off his legs until we can get him to the vet. His right hind leg appears to hurt him and he isn't growing a single bit. I apologize that I don't update often on here other than late at night, I'm still a student and have a lot of work to do while taking care of him. But rest assured because we're on our way to get him seen! If all goes as planned he'll be seen by next week at least.