Kitten Biting

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not new to kittens/ ferals etc and I have a cat that we named Choo Choo because she was a young adult when we adopted her and she was very bitey. So I know the basics.

The foster litter I have now had two very bitey cats. One of them has been trained out of it but the other one is very very nippy and he nips hard. It's enough that I don't think he's ready for adoption yet. They are coming up on 12 weeks old so I've been working on them for 6 weeks. They get tons of interaction. The nippy one is very boisterous- they all are- but this one is very active.

How long does is the longest it's taken for you to train a bitey kitten out of nipping? I'm getting worried because the shelter wants to have him go to the adoption center in four weeks. So I have four weeks to resolve this issue.

esco98

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitty was pretty nippy for a while but he was a stray so I don’t think he ever knew not to bite. His bites were never hard enough to break the skin but it was a constant thing that was very annoying. My boyfriend used to train dogs and he got tired of the nips and started snapping his fingers and saying my cats name in a very angry tone. He would then move Esco off of the bed or put him in the living room for a bit as punishment. After about a week of this anytime Esco would do anything wrong all we had to do was snap our fingers and he would quit immediately. This is just how we did things but every cat is different. Also don’t be afraid to express your concerns to the shelter about him being ready for adoption. Good luck!:goodluck:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitty was pretty nippy for a while but he was a stray so I don’t think he ever knew not to bite. His bites were never hard enough to break the skin but it was a constant thing that was very annoying. My boyfriend used to train dogs and he got tired of the nips and started snapping his fingers and saying my cats name in a very angry tone. He would then move Esco off of the bed or put him in the living room for a bit as punishment. After about a week of this anytime Esco would do anything wrong all we had to do was snap our fingers and he would quit immediately. This is just how we did things but every cat is different. Also don’t be afraid to express your concerns to the shelter about him being ready for adoption. Good luck!:goodluck:
I have used finger snapping with last cats and it was very effective.