Kitten biting my legs in bed

Elemteacherjoy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sometimes my kitten (6 months ish) will bite at my legs, through the covers, when I'm in bed. This happens sometimes when I'm lying in bed on the computer before bed. In those cases, I usually end up trying to get him to stop before remembering it's probably better to redirect to a toy and I grab something. However, it also happens when I'm trying to sleep such as very early this morning!

I know it's not food needs. He has constant access to dry food and water, and I only give him wet food at night. Trying to tell him "no" or yelp, hiss, etc. doesn't really do much. I ended up just putting him on the floor over and over again last night until he stopped. Of course I love to have him on my bed but not biting at my legs! It definitely seems like play behavior or attention seeking behavior; he's not out to harm, but it's still annoying! Thank goodness I love him, lol.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats, and especially kittens, love pouncing limbs under the covers. Any movement is very attractive to them. (Never play with them that way if you allow them in there when sleeping btw. They love it, but it makes it worse) Of course, it is also possible this is a learned tactic to wake you up and get attention, but with a 6 month old, my guess is that its movement related. Its hard to lie perfectly still like a corpse -- a kitten will see some tiny movement.

I don't think redirecting with a toy is a great idea at all. That is just going to transition it from play and build a learned response of "this works to get attention." Either lie perfectly still like a corpse (good luck), pick up the kitten and put on the floor (and rinse repeat as often as needed) or use a loud no if everyone is already awake. Some of these methods have the drawback of discouraging the cat from coming on the bed at all, so there is no easy or perfect solution afaik.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. What would happen if you put him underneath the covers? It might backfire, but when Feeby was first with us, that is what I did with her and it seemed to quiet her down a bit as she liked the idea of being under the covers - sort of a hiding spot. Keep in mind, Feeby found us when she was around 2 years old, so a lot more 'mature' than your kitten. However, the end result is that all these years (she's 15+), she has always come to bed (almost) every night to sleep with us.

Btw - how about a name and a pic??

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never have raised kittens before, just grown cats, BUT I am certain that he will outgrow his "juvenile behaviors" in good time. :) BUT I know that knowing this does not solve your problem with him for now. No answers for now.:ohwell:

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Sounds like he's just being a kitten!

I would stop him, as you don't want to encourage bad habits, but I think this is pretty normal behavior for a kitten, isn't it?

My Jasper is SUPER gentle and doesn't really do stuff like this, but Sammy, Isabel and my late CiCi ALL did when they were kittens.