Kitten Biting me

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
now Oreo has a habit of biting me . Last night I was laying in bead reading he came and sit lay with me I was petting him then all of a sudden bit me
then today bit me again I said a sharp no \not sure what to do . would getting him fixed help he is climbing on top of cupboards , tree lost interest

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How old is Oreo? If he's 6 month-ish, then I would suggest talking to your vet about getting him neutered. It probably wouldn't stop the biting, but it should prevent him from starting to territorial spray.

As for the biting, try saying "no" in a high pitched tone, next time he tries to bite you. That way, like if his siblings squealed if he bit them too hard, he should learn that he's hurting you, and stop biting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How old is Oreo? If he's 6 month-ish, then I would suggest talking to your vet about getting him neutered. It probably wouldn't stop the biting, but it should prevent him from starting to territorial spray.

As for the biting, try saying "no" in a high pitched tone, next time he tries to bite you. That way, like if his siblings squealed if he bit them too hard, he should learn that he's hurting you, and stop biting.
Oreo is a little over 5 months old and 9 lbs., should I get him neutered now ow wait til he is 6 months

Last edited by a moderator:

Remi&RiRi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got my boy fixed around 4/5 months. I agree that you should ask your vet but you should be fine getting him fixed at this age. Biting and lots of energy comes with young age and usually slows when they get older (some cats around the 1 year mark but all are different). If you sense him getting at all agitated while your petting him then I would refrain or pull back. Sometimes you may be able to tell when your cat is in a more energetic/rough housing mood. If its totally random than I would just continue telling him no and complete ignore him for a few minutes. I'm sure getting him fixed will help him overall with his energy levels.

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got my boy fixed around 4/5 months. I agree that you should ask your vet but you should be fine getting him fixed at this age. Biting and lots of energy comes with young age and usually slows when they get older (some cats around the 1 year mark but all are different). If you sense him getting at all agitated while your petting him then I would refrain or pull back. Sometimes you may be able to tell when your cat is in a more energetic/rough housing mood. If its totally random than I would just continue telling him no and complete ignore him for a few minutes. I'm sure getting him fixed will help him overall with his energy levels.
thank you for advice I have a call in to a vet when he bites I say a high pitch no and that seems to work , I also play laser and a long horse whip I have its got a feather on it its fun game
when he wants to bite and I pull back he wants to bite more I do not look at him and then he backs off

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Stop petting your cat before he gets over stimulated and your cat won't bite as much. Of course, he's still a kitten, so there's still going to be over exuberance.

Take time to learn how your cat communicates with you and pay attention to what he's saying. It'll prevent many behavioral issues before they get started.

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yes I will do that too thank you for your advice