Kitten Biting And Clawing My Eyes

Luna92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So glad things are getting better! You're doing the right things I also did the scruff and push down, I think it's fine. As she's older now when I find her on my dinning table I just do the pick up and carry her like a baby (she finds it equally annoying) kill them with kindness so to speak :lol:.

In terms of treats I use dreamies as they're for kittens and cats but I'm in the UK and I'm not sure if they sell them where you are. But you can also use normal food like tuna as a treat.

His hunting behaviour should progress Delphi still does the bunny kick, but she's a much better hunter then she was a few weeks back. Trust me it will come and he'll be hunting you all over your bed.

Your situation with your mum is giving me flashbacks. Me and my ma are really close but I love animals (mainly cats) and she is scared/annoyed by them (mainly cats). She once left my budgie outside while I was at my dads then claimed it died of natural causes...not sure how natural it is to freeze to death poor thing. She's not malicious just a bit silly. Anyway once we adopted two cats (we had a mouse problem) there was so much tension in the house and arguments it was horrible in the end we had to give up one (the ankle biter) and later my little angel's kidney gave up. We never spoke about animals after that, anyway now I live on my own I have my kitten I have peace and I'm closer to my mum. Your situation sounds very claustrophobic though save up if you can.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BabyBlueberry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Moving out is definitely in my agenda. I have plans with my boyfriend to start apartment hunting at the start of this school year - I'm going to work and he'll be going to college when we graduate. I've lived with her for 17 years and I can tell you it's been long enough that I know I don't want to stay longer than needed. If the apartment we get doesn't allow pets I don't know what we're going to do (he has his own cat, she's 6 I believe), but moving is a priority for us.

Scruffing is still working and he rarely BITES my eyes anymore, just does his weird sucking attempts that I stop pretty quickly. He's stopped going for MY eyes while I have my glasses on but happily goes for my mom's. This leads to her throwing him and I swore at her like a dog when I saw her do it. He also bit and drew blood on her, not that I blame him. She's really rough with him and does the opposite of everything I say. She won't even pick him up and move him, she shoves or slaps at him. I'm really irritated by her alone at this point. He can be a butt but she allows for him to do so and when it finally aggravates her she lashes out in the wrong ways. I'm sick of it, but I'm doing what I can for him. If this continues I'll have to take him to the local shelter - god knows I don't want to, my mom has made me give them enough animals as it is. They're no kill, at least.

BabyBlueberry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey! I think I may have some reasoning as to why he likes my eyes so much!

I noticed when I'm laying down with my glasses on, he gets kind of stamdoffish - I think maybe he's seeing his reflection! And then he goes for my eyes out of confusion, because he couldn't see them before.

Could that be it maybe?

BabyBlueberry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A followup on that - I've noticed when it's just him and I home alone he's much more relaxed and actually tends to entertain and play with himself (chasing his balls across the floor and not needing them thrown, picking up and slinging his toy mouse on his own) than try to get me or my mom to play with him (he'll aggressively try to get attention and with my mom she throws a ball in frustration - i know he's either wanted to be petted or played with). Maybe me and my mom is too much for him and he's "putting on" so to say? Maybe two people makes him anxious (though we aren't terribly active around the house)?

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey! I think I may have some reasoning as to why he likes my eyes so much!

I noticed when I'm laying down with my glasses on, he gets kind of stamdoffish - I think maybe he's seeing his reflection! And then he goes for my eyes out of confusion, because he couldn't see them before.

Could that be it maybe?
Does he act different from a distance or only when he's right next to your face? If it's only when he's very close that is definitely possible.

A followup on that - I've noticed when it's just him and I home alone he's much more relaxed and actually tends to entertain and play with himself (chasing his balls across the floor and not needing them thrown, picking up and slinging his toy mouse on his own) than try to get me or my mom to play with him (he'll aggressively try to get attention and with my mom she throws a ball in frustration - i know he's either wanted to be petted or played with). Maybe me and my mom is too much for him and he's "putting on" so to say? Maybe two people makes him anxious (though we aren't terribly active around the house)?
I would think it's more to do with how your mom reacts to him. If she's playing with him one second then hitting or throwing him the next that's going to confuse him and stress him out.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could kit stay with your bf until you get an apartment?

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
does he understand mirrors? maybe put him in front of one and see his reaction. I would never advise violence against a cat. I got a little impatient at my cat when he was younger because he jumped on the dining table and I smacked him, I actually acted without thinking and immediately regretted it. That was the only time I saw him feel threatened and waved his unsheathed claws to swat at me. He is usually a VERY calm and patient cat. He's a cat I could play with in anyway I wanted, stuff him into my bag, forcibly hold him while he's squirming to get out of my arms and he would never even show me a claw. But that one time he sensed my aggression and showed capability of responding in kind. I never did it again. if you show your cat patience and calm while being firm, they will learn confidence, patience and discipline.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a kitten who like to attack my eyeballs, I think he thought they were pretty cool toys. Our eyes are constantly moving and they are reflective as well so they do make for a pretty enticing toy. Eventually he stopped going for the eyes all together, if I remember correctly, it was a few weeks. Just imagine a glossy black dot moving in short quick movements all the time, to a kitten, who does not know any better yet, that is quite the temptation.
And to your question about if cats can see screens. I say yes. My cats watch TV, and are even able to follow characters on the screen. One of my cats loved watching hockey with me. They also love watching bird and bug videos on my computer and try so hard to get them. I had one cat who would even look for what was on the screen in the house if it "flew away". Poor guy was so confused, he would look at me like "where'd it go mom?"

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m sorry you are in this mess. Again, no judgement here. You are young and will have many upheavals (& hopefully you will be going to college or to classes to be certified in something.) Given how much change and how many unknowns you have in your future (& the violence your mom seems prone to) I still strongly suggest re-homing him while he is a cute/adoptable kitten. So many cats never get adopted because they are no longer babies! Adopting him out to a cat lover that you know (in a more stable position then you and not just about to graduate high school) would be ideal. That way you could visit.

When you love your pets (or your kids,) you have to do what is best for them, not you. I’m sorry and I hope when you have your life more together you adopt a cat or two! Until then, you can always foster baby kittens if you want.
:vibes::grouphug2:

BabyBlueberry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm going to wait until his neuter before I make any quick decisions. He's gotten much calmer and I've had a long, arguably rude conversation with my mom, so I want to see how that all pans out after that.

I have deduced that yes he can definitely see TV and phone screens, and I've also deduced that in terms of my glasses, he's seeing his reflection. My eyes themselves are toys to him and I'm currently going with the idea of he's not trying to SUCK on my eyes but he's trying to gently play with him - with me he tends to nip very softly, "lip" me so to say, or just lick me. He has actually bit my eyelids before and he has stopped that completely, so that's how I'm deducing it down to him trying to be gently playful.

I also think he may be teething or something? He's taken to biting on things a lot, which I had been steadily breaking him of before. In theory it shouldn't pop up this quickly or this intensely otherwise, I think. He also bites softly, so that's how I'm coming to this assumption also.

I have also discovered that he goes crazy for turkey. I've never seen him get so excited in my life.

Now, all of the things I just said regarding him being gentle with me are the complete opposite of how he is with my mom, I'm wondering if it's because she's not taking the efforts to teach him any manners (or also because of her aggression towards him). I find it amusing, personally. She's getting what she's giving. I will say though that if I see her mistreat Charcoal again that I'll be moving out and taking Charcoal with me. I already told her when I was getting him that I was getting him for me and if she didn't like it I would just leave, and I plan to keep my word on that. She's not a very healthy person to be around anyways, so all the more reason.

Charcoal does still occasionally get INTENSELY hyperactive, but I'm calling that a kitten thing. Any other time he's an absolute angel - plays softly, sleeps, just wants you to pet him and love on him. During those times I permit him near my face - when he's good I offer him kisses, and his cute little self typically actually returns them - he boops his nose to my mouth or gives me a little love bite or licks me. It's adorable and the purest thing I've ever seen in my life. He's a little darling.

BabyBlueberry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm aware letting him near my face while trying to keep him from my eyes is a horrendous decision when it's being read, but the actual experience is controlled, quick, and always when he's really calm and typically about to nap, and also much more focused on getting a nice, long rub. I would never offer kisses if he was even remotely rambunctious, I'm trying to teach him that kisses are a calm-only thing. He's also never went for my eyes when giving kisses, just occasionally misplaced a love bite and gotten the tip of my nose.

Speaking of love bites, he's gotten gentler at those also lol.

BabyBlueberry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay! So, well, I was basically all wrong.

I AM making progress with Charcoal, except for the eye thing mostly.

He is in FACT trying to suckle my eyelashes. Just somewhat aggressively. He treats my eyelashes the same as he does my mother's shirts.

It's really confusing, and I frankly have no idea how to break a cat of suckling habits - someone said earlier it was a comfort thing. I know I can DISCOURAGE him from it and make him stop, but this is one of those things that he will attempt to do every chance he gets.

I feel a lot safer, now that I've made at least salt grains worth of progress on it and also now that I've identified it. I'm technically, however, not safe. With cats, I've mentioned before that I'm allergic. This includes saliva, scratches, and pet dander. My allergies to his dander are pretty random and sporiadic and require me to be pretty much inhaling his fur for any effect - this causes me to sneeze uncontrollably. Pet dander (and saliva) also effects my eyes, causing itching, swelling, and burning. While I can definitely say I've gained some resistance while living with Charcoal, my eyes still swell and itch occasionally. It's mostly problematic because when things irritate my eyes, my eyelashes are rejected from my body and within minutes I'm able to pull them out by clumpfuls. They also fall into my eyes. I'm honestly pretty okay with it all.

I would still like to know if anyone has any tips on how to break him of this, though. It's pretty weird. He doesn't respond to hissing in the slightest. My best bets have become hitting a surface to startle him, and flyswatter when he's biting/clawing. He's still definitely not a fan of the flyswatter but hates it so it's become something I can use without fear of traumatizing him lmao. In the way of training, he no longer bites or scratches me hardly at all. If he does, he gets picked up and moved. If he continues, gentle swat of the flyswatter (typically near him, not to hit him. occasionally i have to swat him otherwise he thinks i'm playing a game with him). He's also gotten really good with the word "No." in a stern voice, followed by "Get down." if he's somewhere he knows he's not supposed to be. Everything is honestly panning out better than I ever anticipated. He's not a darter for the outdoors but he definitely thinks exploring the cabinets when we don't know is fun - until he cries. I'm hoping one day he'll decide cabinets aren't fun.

But, alas, like I said, any help with how to "wean" him would be SERIOUSLY appreciated. He'll just latch on in my sleep no problems, and if the angle isn't good enough for him he bites. It's disconcerting when he starts trying to bite.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's really confusing, and I frankly have no idea how to break a cat of suckling habits - someone said earlier it was a comfort thing. I know I can DISCOURAGE him from it and make him stop, but this is one of those things that he will attempt to do every chance he gets.
I'm not sure you can stop the suckling behavior but you can redirect it to something apropriate. A plush baby blanket or stuffed animal often works. Keep one near you, when he gets near your face gently move him to the item on you lap. keep petting and talking sweetly to him. Even my old man purrs and kneads bread when I slightly pull and massage their scruff. Patience and repetition should work. He's happy and wants to be near you, he just needs to be taught how to do that so your both happy. The baby blankets are often on sale for under $10 and I've gotten several at yard sales.

Last edited by a moderator:

BabyBlueberry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update on Charcoal, I can't get him to "stop". I tried transferring but just moving my head gets the message across to him. He has started trying to play in his litterbox though which has me a little concerned. Is he bored? It's like he has to go potty but then realizes digging around in there is fun and changes his mind. He did change his cat little because what he'd bought before was so small and aggravating and not working terribly well, but he didn't seem to mind the change for a good while, so i don't think that's it.

I'm also debating changing his name to Bug. I never really called him anything except Buggy and Little Bug anyways, so it wouldn't be anything but a change on paper.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Some kittens go through a stage when they think the litter box is the greatest toy. Most outgrow it.

He is young and energetic so might be bored and looking for a new game. Put away some of his toys and in a week he'll think they are brand new. You can also make him some puzzles. These are food puzzles but you can put a toy in many of them.

Homemade Puzzles - Food Puzzles for Cats

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update on Charcoal, I can't get him to "stop". I tried transferring but just moving my head gets the message across to him. He has started trying to play in his litterbox though which has me a little concerned. Is he bored? It's like he has to go potty but then realizes digging around in there is fun and changes his mind. He did change his cat little because what he'd bought before was so small and aggravating and not working terribly well, but he didn't seem to mind the change for a good while, so i don't think that's it.

I'm also debating changing his name to Bug. I never really called him anything except Buggy and Little Bug anyways, so it wouldn't be anything but a change on paper.
Believe it or not it's actually fairly normal for Kittens to go through a phase where they play in their litterbox, it doesn't usually last long because as they get bigger they have less room to play and it gets less fun.