kitten bites me and i have no idea why

paprisun

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten is about 2 months old and of course she really likes playing. So sometimes she will grab at my my hand and try to bite at it when she’s laying down.

But sometimes i can’t tell if she’s playing or not. She will purr and try to get attention and pets from me, but when i do pet her she nips me. Or i’ll be trying to sleep and she will be calm, but then go under the blankets and randomly bite at me. I’m trying to teach her not to bite at all but i don’t know why she keeps doing it.

she has never hissed at me and i know it can’t be that she’s feeling overstimulated because she does it when i’m not even petting her. And when she’s not in a biting mood she’s very sweet and let’s me carry her, and pet her anywhere with no trouble.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! i’m so confused :/

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
At eight weeks a kitten is usually with mom and litter mates. Biting and kicking each other is just part of the constant game of kittens. Without her playmates she is trying to play the same games with you. You have to teach her very patiently what is acceptable play with you. If she goes to grab your hand take it away and give her a stuffed toy to bite or kick instead. If she bites you, give her a loud hiss to let her know to stop. And most important make sure you are spending time every day playing with her with something like a wand and string toy where she can run, jump and chase it until she is tire.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's kitty play. Their play is generally hunt-catch-kill oriented, so she's trying to "kill" your hand. The above behavior will set her straight, but you still might have to pin her down by the neck. She'll complain, but it might be necessary. The kicker toy then can be substituted for your hand.

a vigorous play session later at night, followed by her last meal of the day will help quiet her down longer so you can get some sleep (probably not all night, but it will be an improvement).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

paprisun

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks everyone!!!!