Kitten Bite On Finger.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello friends,

I have a feral kitten. she is socialized now. I was feeding her today and her one tooth touched my skin a drop of blood came out. It was not a deep bite. Do I need to see a doctor? I have washed my hand with antiseptic lotion.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It sounds like it is on the minor side of cat bites. Keep the wound clean (which you've done) and apply an antibiotic cream like Neosporin. If the spot becomes red or red spreads from it you will want to follow up with your doctor.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it starts to become infected, the area will be red, swollen, and painful. The problem with deep cat bites is that it they are essentially puncture wounds, which are difficult to thoroughly clean, and those deep wounds almost always become infected. If there is no pain or swelling in the next 24 hours, then you should be good. But if any signs of infection show, you need to get to an ER or Urgent Care Center for Augmentin, which is an antibiotic specifically for skin infections, and you may need an updated tetanus shot if you are not up to date on it. I've had three deep cat bites and they all got infected, but yours sounds superficial, but just be careful. Has your cat been vaccinated for rabies yet? If not, that could be an issue depending on where you get medical treatment. Some clinics will have you fill out a report that goes to the state, Others may insist you quarantine the cat. I've had three infections that I had to seek treatment for, and I had to do the paperwork, but luckily my cats were up to date on their rabies shot. I advise that you get your cat vaccinated ASAP if he has not already been vaccinated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What can I do in the future to avoid cat bites? When do cats bite humans?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's usually when they are scared, startled or upset. Chances are, since she is a socialized feral it was just accidental of your finger being too close to food. Ferals tend to Chow down quickly so she may not have realized your finger was there.