Kitten Behavioral Changes After Vet Visit!

creekgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I sure hope someone can shed light on this situation.....

Last month I adopted an adorable kitten. I first met him when I was passing through a rural area and stopped at a yard sale. This little kitten approached me and rubbed against my leg. When I picked him up he just melted into my chest, a sweet warm little bundle of love. He was so endearingly unforgettable, I went back a month later and was thrilled the family was willing to let me adopt him!

All the way home the kitten sat quietly on my lap, purring, sometimes nuzzling me under the neck. I was amazed.....I've never seen a cat so good in a car! For the next two weeks his behavior was just as gentle, sweet and docile. I told friends, I've never seen anything like it......this kitten is like a ragdoll! Devoted to me, he loved to be held, sat on my lap while I was at the computer, slept whole nights through by my side. I marveled.....he's the perfect kitten!

It all changed after a trip to the vet.

Being about 12 weeks old, I thought he should be examined and vaccinated. Even in the vet's office before the visit, he sat quietly in my lap. I didn't see anything unusual about the exam, maybe not as gentle as I might have hoped, but certainly not abusive. Still, when I brought him home, it was like I had brought home a different kitten.

Since the vet visit he has been hyper-active, dashing around the house frenetically. He's fidgety. He flinches if touched and fights against being picked up and held. He no longer sleeps by my side. He bites, claws, plays too hard. Before it was like he didn't have a care in the world. Now he seems angry all the time.

At first I thought he was just upset by the vet visit and would get over it. But if anything, he's gotten worse.

WHAT HAPPENED???

I've been around cats all my life and know kittens are playful, but this kind of overnight personality change is weird. I could not find any explanation online. I even tried google searching kitten behavioral changes after vaccinations and found nothing. But the difference in this kitten is like night and day. The change was not gradual like a natural development stage, but overnight and completely. He's like an entirely different kitten. I'm heartbroken as it seems it could be permanent.

Have any of you ever heard of such a thing?

thank you in advance for any input you can give me........

creekgirl

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm. Well I take it you know about redirected aggression but think it isn't that since it isn't fading away. That seems a reasonable conclusion so we need to think of something else.

Still, this *is* normal kitten behavior...the only thing that is abnormal is the switch. However: (1) super young kittens can always change behavior rapidly; and (2) you got to know yours during a drive and when you first got to a new home -- these are stressful times for a kitten. The kitten might have been acting extra cuddly for reassurance because he was nervous being in a new situation/new home. Normally this would make a kitten hide its true, but an unusual reaction to the stress/new situation seems more likely to me then something wrong with the kitten. And certainly some cats do become affection seeking when nervous.

So . . . my theory is that this is a normal kitten, now acting in a normal way now that he has settled in. As with any rambunctious kitten, you must train him not to bite and bond with him the slow way, understanding that he is too active to sit still for petting most of the time. If you want tips for bonding with such a kitten, let us know.

As with any kitten like this, there is great reason for optimism that he will become a super sweet and affectionate kitty . . . eventually. Its understandable that you are a little down since you thought you won the lottery and got a 10 week old kitten that just came super sweet, but a normal kitten isn't such a bad thing, right?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I will just chime in to agree with both A ArtNJ and Furballsmom Furballsmom . He's normal. But you know that the loving, sweet side of him exists, and later on, that will almost certainly come out again. Right now, he's about the equivalent of a four-year-old little boy, and, trust me, they are ALL little wild men! Give him love, give him discipline, give him direction, and that loving guy you first met will show up again. At first, only here and there, but when he's a bit over one year old, he'll be ready to love on Mom again.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was the kitten dewormed during vet’s visit as well? If yes, one possible explanation is that he had worms which caused his sleepiness, and since he’s free of them now, he behaves as normal active kitten would.

Edited to add: he plays hard because he’s been separated from his siblings too early, normally he’s at the age when they start rough play together and he would learn through this that biting/scratching is too much. You may consider getting another kitten to teach him that. Kittens do best and healthiest in pairs.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

creekgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, thank you all! Your responses make a lot of sense! It seems entirely likely that a kitten in a new situation would feel vulnerable and maybe extra affectionate, then when he feels more secure, return to normal kitten behavior!

It is true, he's not acting in a way that I wouldn't expect of a kitten. Just that he started out so different, and the change was so sudden. He did have fleas, which I treated immediately, and was "wormed" at the vet office. So he may feel happier, healthier and more frisky now that he feels better. He was the last of the litter, the one they said nobody wanted to adopt. I can't figure out why......he is adorable!

He got quite a lot of play this weekend as my sister and family came to visit. This is the first time I've seen him pooped out since the vet visit. It still disturbs me, though.......I seem to have become his least favorite person : ( I wonder if a bond of trust was broken with the vet visit, and dread taking him back for his second set of shots.

I'm sure all will be well over time. I still kinda miss that sweet little bundle of love that stared so adoringly into my eyes and cuddled in my arms so contentedly. But everything you guys say makes complete sense. Someday when he's older and much more sedate, I'm sure I'll remember his crazy kitten days fondly too.

THANK YOU!!!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably because you were slow to realize the change back to normal kitten behaviors and kept trying to put a now typical ants-in-pants kitten on your lap. Not faulting you, probably anyone would have been slow to realize there was a change given how the kitten was acting previoiusly. With a typical normal and hyper kitten, you need to pet them only when they are receptive. You never forcibly put them on their lap when they dont want it, pick them up or worse, restrain them. No permanent damage done, you just have to adjust to the change and let the kitten be the boss of how you interact.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In all likelihood, when the second vet visit is done and there aren't so many visitors, you and your baby will be able to develop your relationship :vibes::heartshape:

If you think it would help, try some music in the car, treats in the carrier, treats at the vets, that sort of thing ;)

Last edited:

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He is gorgeous. I second the idea of a playmate. It doesn’t have to be a sibling just a kitten about the same age . I have 2 boys 4 1/2 months old and I can’t imagine them not having each other to play and wear each other out.

creekgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Once again, you guys make a lot of sense. Maybe he does perceive me as being a bit of a "helicopter mom" and is exercising his independence.

Tonight Minky (that's what I've been calling him) was sprawled next to my BF while he was working on the computer. He used to do that with me! But I'll allow him his choice. He IS a darling, in any case. Hasn't damaged anything, and took to the litter box from the start.

I do have another cat, but she's old and not interested in playing with him. I agree that it's good to have 2 cats the same age, but kind of hesitant to get a third cat!

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Aw, thanks for sharing pics of Minky. I have a particular fondness for gray kitties. :D

To some extent, I think all cats cycle between independence and cuddliness, and I'm sure you'll be back to kitten snuggles soon.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Someday when he's older and much more sedate, I'm sure I'll remember his crazy kitten days fondly too
You will. We all have that masochistic streak in us.

I do have another cat, but she's old and not interested in playing with him. I agree that it's good to have 2 cats the same age, but kind of hesitant to get a third cat!
Well...I'll tell you what my mom's friend told my mom. I was an only child. My mom's friend had nine. Yes, NINE. Mom commented that she didn't know how June did it, and June replies, "Jackie, one child takes 100% of your time. Nine children take 100% of your time." A kitten near Minky's age would keep him from harassing your older cat, at least!

creekgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, he's a handful all on his own. He's going through a pretty wild phase. Nipping and clawing when you try to pet him. I guess that's just normal, too. But how do you teach him to stop? I mean, it can hurt!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely hiss at him when he does any unwanted behaviors. Don't ever use your hands to play with him. Always use a toy or laser or something else. He will learn eventually.