Kitten battles

KlaudiaDominika

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! I have two male kittens from different litters. One is about to be six months old (Wlad) and the other is four months old (Beerus)

Beerus was neutered upon adoption, Wlad however just got neutered two weeks ago. They’re having a hard time getting along. Wlad was growling and hissing during every interaction. That’s stopped now, but the are fighting quite a bit.

I got Beerus August 10th, so October 10th it’ll mark two months since I got him. Do you guys have any tips for smoother integration? I was going to include a video of their interactions below but I’m seeing there’s no option for video upload.

They play rather rough, the little one chases the older one. Wlad constantly bites Beerus throat. It seems like they want to keep playing even when I seperate them, I’m just worried it’s too rough of play.

Thank you in advance 🖤

Attachments

VioletReaver

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When they engage in the rough play, do either of them shriek or yelp? In my experience, real fights are very loud and kittens will make everyone aware when they’re in pain.

When we introduced our kitten to our 10mo old Maine Coon we had a pretty scary time trying to decide if the MC wanted to play with the kitten or eat her. Seriously, it looked like she was hunting the little one, but when we separated them they cried for each other. After the kitten gained a bit of confidence and the initial thrill wore off for our MC, the kitten started initiating this play and we could tell it wasn’t harmful.

I think generally, if there’s no shrieking/yelping, no blood, and no missing fur, it’s just play!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitten almost Never actually hurt one another. No matter the noise or hissing, it’s usually just play, albeit loud. At their ages, I would just step back and let them sort it themselves. it if it’s starting to make you nervous, distract them both with wand or laser play or offer them some new and exciting toy to wear off their energy.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All cats, including kittens, play mostly by simulating hunting and fighting behaviors. So it almost always looks too rough for folks that aren't used to it. And play biting is a normal part of it.

Like susanm9006 susanm9006 said, its fine to just let kittens do their thing. In the very beginning their might be some hissing and tension, but they will transition to play soon enough.

All of that said, with an age difference, at times the younger one might yelp, hiss or run away. Thats normal. It means that there was temporarily a little bit of discomfort - but you won't find injuries, and the smaller one will be right back to play more soon enough.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yep, just saying it again...all that yelling is about like little boys giving each other noogies on the playground. If there is no blood on the floor, and no hunks of fur in the air, it is not a fight.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My two have had *loud* "fights" since they were kittens. They never actually hurt each other. Athena just expresses herself quite vocally. They are absolutely best friends, constantly grooming and snuggling together -- it just looks like the playing is too rough to us. So the question of "is anyone actually hurt?" is important, since even hissing/complaining doesn't always signal that something's wrong.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nick & Jackie are brothers. They lto wrestle/play fight. Once I photographed how they initiate play with each other. One taps the other, cat two taps back & then it is wrestlemania!!! But they love each other!

It sounds like your boys are just, well being boys.

Their fight sequence:
747D2F78-AAFC-4C94-840F-95B48CB51650.jpeg
B709E23B-D410-429E-A7E9-6F90C67DD3C4.jpeg
E3EC8013-C23F-4722-96B6-96009004270C.jpeg
01CCF900-18D2-48E2-84DF-48E5FB57F78C.jpeg

How they are when it isn’t wrestle time...., they hang out & snuggle together:

970C26DC-C999-402E-A220-FA8DA6AB1BC7.jpeg

What their play looks like:
4F573C0A-C2B9-477F-9638-F7CA4FD7FBD7.jpeg
EDC90DF6-8AE9-44E5-A491-72074777F462.jpeg
But remember they have & always will love each other, Just like I’m sure your boys will:
DC407BEB-DFFC-48AE-92B5-2FB37FC34706.jpeg
66989863-B019-4270-962F-A4A12B98573A.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KlaudiaDominika

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When they engage in the rough play, do either of them shriek or yelp? In my experience, real fights are very loud and kittens will make everyone aware when they’re in pain.

When we introduced our kitten to our 10mo old Maine Coon we had a pretty scary time trying to decide if the MC wanted to play with the kitten or eat her. Seriously, it looked like she was hunting the little one, but when we separated them they cried for each other. After the kitten gained a bit of confidence and the initial thrill wore off for our MC, the kitten started initiating this play and we could tell it wasn’t harmful.

I think generally, if there’s no shrieking/yelping, no blood, and no missing fur, it’s just play!
There is no shrieking or yelling, occasionally hissing from the older one. There has been no blood, sometimes fur flying all over the house after an encounter but I’m now seeing that perhaps its just rough play

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KlaudiaDominika

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Nick & Jackie are brothers. They lto wrestle/play fight. Once I photographed how they initiate play with each other. One taps the other, cat two taps back & then it is wrestlemania!!! But they love each other!

It sounds like your boys are just, well being boys.

Their fight sequence:
View attachment 397309
View attachment 397310
View attachment 397311
View attachment 397312

How they are when it isn’t wrestle time...., they hang out & snuggle together:

View attachment 397306

What their play looks like:
View attachment 397308
View attachment 397307
But remember they have & always will love each other, Just like I’m sure your boys will:
View attachment 397313
View attachment 397314
Oh they are so precious! I’ve been keeping my boys seperate and letting them out a few times a day, but I’m going to give it a shot letting them out all day. Thank you for the photos, they were really helpful

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cami (their sister) hisses when either boy bugs her to play or they play to rough. The brothers have rarely but occasionally played to rough & some fur flew a bit. Then there was the sad 3 weeks when the little baby kittens kept nipping each other’s balls during their play sessions (which produced an awful shrieking meow.)

Maybe one of the kittens didn’t grow up with a siblings to teach them how hard is to hard to bite and how not yo play to rough?

In the meantime one on one play with both kittens before they are together, lots of treats/toys/catnip/wet food/ a feather wand in each hand when they are together.