Kitten bathing alternative

4strayCats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 4 orphaned kittens. They were about 5 weeks when I rescued them. They don't have an idea of how to use litter box. I tried put them in the litter box but they just sleep there.

At night I put them in a cage with small litter box underneath. In the morning their bodies covered by their poo. When they out of cage, they're pooping everywhere. They're become dirty, as well as my house.

So I cleaned them with warm water and kitten soap and dry them afterwards.

Been doing this for about a week.
I run out of shampoo, so I come to the pet shop to buy one. The shopkeeper said I can't give a 5 wo kittens bath. She said they will die if I do so.

I feel guilty:(
But if I don't clean them they smell bad and looks like I didn't take care of them.
Is there alternatives way to make them clean as if they still have cat mom?

IMG20220801153729.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your best bet is to clean their bottoms and fur daily throughout the day with a warm wet wash cloth.

Continue putting them in their litter box before and after meals, and take a little front paw and gently show them how to dig. In the meantime, put puppy pee pads down in the areas they live and play to make cleanup easier.

Believe it or not, they will catch on in the next couple of weeks, but are still babies right now.

Here’s a helpful video:

Thanks for saving them and for your patience. They are adorable! Keep us posted!
4 4strayCats

HeyKat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Make sure you've cleaned wherever they've toileted with an enzyme spray. If it smells like urine/poo, they'll keep going there.

It's also possible that they're messing when they're out of the cage because they forget where the litterbox is. Try keeping them in a smaller area. 2x2 metres is plenty at that age.

Do they have diarrhoea? That could be causing accidents too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

4strayCats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your best bet is to clean their bottoms and fur daily throughout the day with a warm wet wash cloth.

Continue putting them in their litter box before and after meals, and take a little front paw and gently show them how to dig. In the meantime, put puppy pee pads down in the areas they live and play to make cleanup easier.

Believe it or not, they will catch on in the next couple of weeks, but are still babies right now.

Here’s a helpful video:

Thanks for saving them and for your patience. They are adorable! Keep us posted!
4 4strayCats
Thank you! This is very helpful and thank you for the kind words.

4strayCats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Make sure you've cleaned wherever they've toileted with an enzyme spray. If it smells like urine/poo, they'll keep going there.

It's also possible that they're messing when they're out of the cage because they forget where the litterbox is. Try keeping them in a smaller area. 2x2 metres is plenty at that age.

Do they have diarrhoea? That could be causing accidents too.
Oohhh!! I never used enzyme spray.. that's why they keep coming back there.

Noted. I let them wandering around the whole house except upstairs. But how can I make the 2x2m area? I don't have rooms with that measurement.

And yes, they have diarrhea.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What are you feeding them? Wet or dry or both? Which brand?

What color is the diarrhea? Have they been wormed or treated for parasites?

They may need a round of metronidazole or Albon to cure the diarrhea.

4 4strayCats

Last edited:

4strayCats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feed them wet food, alternate between whiskas and meo and other local brands. Sometimes I bottle feed them.

Their feces are yellowish.

I haven't give them any treatment for worm nor parasite. I once saw a big worm in one of the kittens feces. Should I wormed them now?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You should absolutely worm them. How old are they now?

And if the worming does not resolve the diarrhea, they need treating with metronidazole, which kills parasites and intestinal bacterial infection.

Their poop should be brown at this age and not yellow. Yellow indicates parasites, which they would have gotten from their mother’s milk.

This is fairly easily resolved with prescription meds. The kittens really need to see a vet for proper treatment so they can get healthy.

Can you see a vet?

It’s much easier for them to litter train if they are not having diarrhea. Diarrhea dehydrates them and also depletes nutrients they need to grow on that are not getting absorbed properly.

Another thing - their diet needs to be consistent. Changing foods and brands will upset systems.
4 4strayCats

4strayCats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They're almost 7 weeks now.

Yes I'm planning to see a vet this week.

Okay. I'll be more careful with the diet.

HeyKat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Noted. I let them wandering around the whole house except upstairs. But how can I make the 2x2m area? I don't have rooms with that measurement.

And yes, they have diarrhea.
Sorry, I thought they were still 5 weeks. If they're 7 weeks old they'll need more space than that. I wouldn't keepvthem in a cage at night either. Is there a room you can keep them in? Once they're feeling better and have got the hang of the litter box, you can let them roam the house again.

It sounds like the real issue here is the diarrhoea. It can be fatal in small kittens, so I'm glad you're taking them to the vet! Once their tummy issues are sorted out, and an enzyme spray has gotten rid of the "this is a toilet" smell on your floors and carpets, litterbox training will be no problem at all.

4strayCats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We went to the vet and they got dewormed. A lot of worm coming out they're bodies thru feces and their feces slowly turn brown eventho still bit runy.

About the litter box, they finally understand how to use it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That’s good news! They will need worming again in 7-10 days to cover the life cycle of the worms. I hope things continue to improve!