Kitten attacks ankles

Sugar Plum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Rafalea Puff has taken to ambush attacking ankles. What do I do? She also still bites hands, especially when held. She's growing fast and I really need to learn how to curb these behaviours. Please help!

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are several suggestions. When he attacks your ankles, Say "Ouch" in a loud voice, or hiss at him. Hissing is what mom cats and other catd would do.

Don't let him attack your hands.Whjen he grows up, that can be painful. As when the ankles are attacked, Plus put him down and ignore him for five or ten minutes.

All of these responses will take multiple repetitions to take effect. Other members of TCS have given time spans of up to a week. for changes in behavior. Your milage may vary. GTood luck!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
A ArchyCat gave you great suggestions. In addition, I would suggest trying to redirect her aggression. If she attacks your ankles, say “ouch”, or hiss, like A ArchyCat said. Then, throw a toy, such as a kickeroo in her direction. When she attacks the toy, instead of your ankles, praise her, and reward her with a treat. One reason that she might be attacking is that she has a lot of pent-up energy. I would recommend trying to add in more interactive playtime (such as with a fishing-pole type toy, for example), which would give her a positive outlet to release some of that energy.

canucksfan1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i wouldnt be mean or trip out your cat man, they grow outta the frisky behaviours for the most part

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sugar Plum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you to those of you who provided constructive ideas. :) I've also taken to wearing socks around her. It seems to be much less fun to attack ankles when there's no reaction.