Kitten at death's door from some infection/ ongoing issues and updates

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nilo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Urgent help required.

I measured temperature as 105.7 but his feet are cold. I did it twice. Am I measuring wrong? If not, how do I reduce the temperature? He's too calm and not rebelling.

It's 1AM New Year. All 24 h vets in the state are closed, atleast until morning. I called every single one.

Nilo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Happy New Year, people!

As of now, Terry's doing okay.
I will give a longer update later when I have the time, it's been hectic.

He's drunk about 25 ml ORS and eaten a tiny bit of Recovery food today. I found some switches of his to make him cooperate better. He still runs away, but he doesn't try to bite anymore.

Thank you! @furballsfor the immediate response. It was therapeutic to hear from someone when no one else was there irl. I was panicking hard.

But I found a govt hospital cum college with boarded students, and the night watchman woke up an interning student and helped save Terry last night, with an anti pyretic. At least for a day. It was a lucky turn of events after an unfortunate turn.

Thank you, A Alldara , that makes sense. I do have more questions on the same, hope I can ask you later.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Happy New Year, people!

As of now, Terry's doing okay.
I will give a longer update later when I have the time, it's been hectic.

He's drunk about 25 ml ORS and eaten a tiny bit of Recovery food today. I found some switches of his to make him cooperate better. He still runs away, but he doesn't try to bite anymore.

Thank you! @furballsfor the immediate response. It was therapeutic to hear from someone when no one else was there irl. I was panicking hard.

But I found a govt hospital cum college with boarded students, and the night watchman woke up an interning student and helped save Terry last night, with an anti pyretic. At least for a day. It was a lucky turn of events after an unfortunate turn.

Thank you, A Alldara , that makes sense. I do have more questions on the same, hope I can ask you later.
Poor Terry, I am glad he is eating a bit and you were able to get help. What did they give him? I did not know that cats could take any of those drugs, or maybe had forgotten. 🙏🏻 for him 💓🐾

Nilo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Terry might have the strength to keep going. But I don't know if I do. I've been getting little to no sleep, am having minor panic attacks, and my brain's not been functioning properly as I'm always on edge. I keep doing super dumb things instead of obviously clear solutions to life's daily problems, and it scares me that I might make a bigger mistake anytime. How do you people who take care of sick beings for months or years even manage?

Meowmee Meowmee
Yes, you're right. Sadly, I forgot the name. I was crying most of the way there and my brain was not functioning properly. I've been racking my brain to google about the side effects myself. But no luck. And I can't call them and ask.

Paracetamol is toxic for cats, so Terry was given an anti-pyretic without paracetamol that I was told is usually not given to cats unless during emergencies. It's been effective, his temperature dropped to 100 steadily from 105.7 and is rising back. It's at 103.4 after about 14 hours. About the internal side effects, I have no idea. That's why it could be a day extension, instead of a life saver. I really don't know what's going to happen and when.

Nilo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, even if Terry has high temperatures and his hair is raised like he's cold, when I wrap him in a towel or bedsheet, he almost always slithers out the moment I leave him alone. He apparently stays in the blanket only for my sake. What's the deal with that?

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Terry might have the strength to keep going. But I don't know if I do. I've been getting little to no sleep, am having minor panic attacks, and my brain's not been functioning properly as I'm always on edge. I keep doing super dumb things instead of obviously clear solutions to life's daily problems, and it scares me that I might make a bigger mistake anytime. How do you people who take care of sick beings for months or years even manage?

Meowmee Meowmee
Yes, you're right. Sadly, I forgot the name. I was crying most of the way there and my brain was not functioning properly. I've been racking my brain to google about the side effects myself. But no luck. And I can't call them and ask.

Paracetamol is toxic for cats, so Terry was given an anti-pyretic without paracetamol that I was told is usually not given to cats unless during emergencies. It's been effective, his temperature dropped to 100 steadily from 105.7 and is rising back. It's at 103.4 after about 14 hours. About the internal side effects, I have no idea. That's why it could be a day extension, instead of a life saver. I really don't know what's going to happen and when.
Hang in there… you are doing the best you can. Make sure you get rest, just keep him near you so you can check on him as needed. Whatever they gave him I am glad it helped and he was able to eat a bit.

I have never taken care of a sick kitten like this but have taken care of my older cats and it is not easy. We just do the best we can. It’s very draining with highs and lows so go easy on yourself.

🤗 💕

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, even if Terry has high temperatures and his hair is raised like he's cold, when I wrap him in a towel or bedsheet, he almost always slithers out the moment I leave him alone. He apparently stays in the blanket only for my sake. What's the deal with that?
I am not sure why he would do that, maybe others will have some ideas. How is he doing?

Nilo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, friend Meowmee Meowmee
It's been relaxing chatting with you.
Mad respect for taking care of multiple old cats. That sounds far more difficult.
Hope you're all doing well.

Terry seems to be doing fine. His fever's at 103.9.
He's being such a doll. Cooperating well, except when it comes to eating.

I'm praying he makes it through tonight without his fever rising any further. The last 2 nights - it rose too high.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you! @furballsmom for the immediate response. It was therapeutic to hear from someone when no one else was there irl. I was panicking hard.
I'm so glad I was able to help 😊

Bless your heart, you are incredible!! I stayed up around the clock for two days/two nights with my angel Poppycat :angel: and I remember thinking that I simply have no clue how people do this with kittens.

But, it's people like you who do. And that baby is actually beginning to eat, oh my gosh I hope that continues!!

Nilo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Folks, Terry seems to feel nauseated. His throat and head moves like he feels like retching now and then. He seems to be in a bit of distress. This started right after I gave him ORS with a syringe in his cheek pockets. Could I have messed something up? Could it be it went down the wrong pipe, or I gave too much ORS? What should I do to make him feel better?

Nilo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom Thank you for your timely advice again!
S silent meowlook Thank you for the quick suggestion, I'll remember that for next time.

Sorry for the late update.
He vomited a while back. And his distress has gone away.

I feel the vomiting is not necessarily a bad thing, because his temperature is down to 103.2. I hope it's just a way of him healing and nothing else. Even if vomiting is a core symptom of his disease FPV. What're your thoughts?

Also, guys, how much ORS is normal to give a kitten just over 1 kg ? Something like 5-10 ml every 2 hours?

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, friend Meowmee Meowmee
It's been relaxing chatting with you.
Mad respect for taking care of multiple old cats. That sounds far more difficult.
Hope you're all doing well.

Terry seems to be doing fine. His fever's at 103.9.
He's being such a doll. Cooperating well, except when it comes to eating.

I'm praying he makes it through tonight without his fever rising any further. The last 2 nights - it rose too high.
Aww ty… that was a while back, all my last furbabies passed in old age and now my current cats are younger. Merlin and Zena have some health issues with food/ gastro but are doing ok.
I am glad Terry is eating a bit now. 🤗 I would ask the dvm about the dosing of any meds and if that one is ok.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last edited: