Purraise
Update: Blood Test Results

Hb - 9.2
WBC - 0.3 (yes, really, just 300) This scares me crazy
RBC - 6.26
PLT - 89
HCT - 26.3
Latest Temperature - 104.5 C

Treatment: RL, Ceftriaxone, Tribivet twice a day for the past 2 days and ongoing. Parvocare tablet started after blood test.
Any feedback from the TCS family?

Status: Has not eaten or drunk water in >4 days. Mostly immobile due to weakness. Does hobble around slowly 2-3 times a day moving away from excretions.

Vet recommendation: I've asked 3 different vets here at 5 different times regarding the complete lack of nutrition - They all say variations of "Do not force feed. RL fluids is sufficient. Food can cause diarrhea or vomiting, leave it be. Wait until fever stops to feed."

Thank you for your feeding tips, di and bob di and bob and Caspers Human Caspers Human .
Could you please check the status and vet recommendation above and let me know your thoughts regarding force feeding this kitten? I would love to verify that I'm not making a mistake either way. I'm scared.

subQ fluids are quite easy to administer. I worked at a vet’s office as a kennel assistant, but sometimes was brought to the front where I preformed technician duties— including administering subQ fluids with no practice and only one instance of oversight by one of the techs. Irresponsible, maybe, but doable, at least.
Interesting.
Good to know that it's doable.
Thank you for your service.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nilo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have no advice. I just want to bless you for taking care of this kitten. :hugs: You are a good soul and the world needs more people like you.
Thank you! You're going to make me cry with kindness.
I have lots to learn from the veterans who have the heart and strength to be doing this for years / decades.
Hope my efforts save Terry. He needs all the blessings and prayers.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He has my prayers......force feeding is scary. I would try the drop at a time in the cheek first with a syringe. With a white blood cell count like that, it sounds like leukemia, which my cats have. My one cats' WBC count was almost zero! I would start your little one on DMG, after asking the vets first of course, it builds up the immune system. If he can just hang on for a while, his bone marrow will start to produce more cells. You are an angel. I pray he will take a turn for the better and get stronger, but first he needs nourishment. you might try those high calorie gels that come in a tube and thin it down for now, he may even absorb some through his gums. you can get all that online at Walmart, Amazon, pet sites, etc. sometimes a farm supply store will carry the gel too. all the luck.....

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Take a clean medicine syringe, make a watery slurry of wet cat food and water and place a few drops in his cheek. If he swallows it, give him a few drops every few hours. He needs nutrition.
This! If you have a blender you can put the cat food and water through a blender. I did this immediately when taking care of a sick kitten. I don't think he can get better very fast if he doesn't have nutrients to use. You'll very slowly increase the food. Our vet here told me every 3 hours. I didn't use a tube to force feed I just gave the syringe and very slowly, a drop at a time he would eat it. I started with only a few drops and he built up to 3 syringes.

The vet is right. He might not like it, but maybe he would like it. He's on anti nausea medication I think it will likely be okay.

If you can use the toothbrush trick to mimic grooming or a cloth on a single finger, you should do that. It is helpful and will make him feel loved and safe.

Also there's a few studies in North America that say if you give a sick cat a box to sleep in that they recovery faster. Maybe you've already done this but I thought to let you know.

Last edited:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you get Hills A/D or Royal Canin Recovery from your vets? These are two prescription foods meant specifically for this: sick, anorexic cats who may also be nauseated. It's a highly palatable, high calorie "bridge" food to help you get him from here back to regular food. The recovery food is not a forever food. And anyway, it's too rich. Even if he will eat it on his own, he likely won't eat enough of it unless you force feed him small amounts at regular intervals or mix it with a food he also enjoys. I've never tried the recovery food myself. But I think of it like a rich chocolate mousse or chocolate ice cream. (Although in cat terms, that would be like mouse eyeballs and brains.) He's going to find a little bit of rally to eat some of that good stuff. But it's going to be too rich to eat very much of it. However, exceptional times require exceptional measures. I would suggest starting out just putting a little bit on a spoon or a wooden depressor (or if he will tolerate your finger) and just press a small amount to his lips and let him decide if he likes the flavor. If he wants to try on his own, I would start with like a pea-sized amount every couple of hours and build from there as he tolerates it. I wouldn't rush it because his gut and butt will be a little slow getting back up to speed. As he gets stronger and starts to show more interest in eating on his own, I would recommend mixing the recovery food with a regular wet food in whatever proportion he'll tolerate. 90% recovery to 10% regular is a perfectly fine place to start. When I was figuring out my Betty's nausea and vomiting issues, she ate 3:1 (3 parts recovery to 1 part regular food) for a long time until she started to show a preference for the regular food. Then we slowly swapped that ratio until one week she kept eating around the recovery food. Now she only ever gets the recovery food to take her meds or if she needs a little pea-sized jumpstart on her regular portion.

I definitely recommend one of these recovery foods over a sugar solution. You can even mix one up with water and syringe it into the side of his mouth if and when the vet says it's okay to "force feed". I prefer the term "assist feed." But that's just splitting hairs.

Nilo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Folks, just an update.
He's having consistent 106 degrees, I'm using wet cotton balls on paw pads and stomach to bring it down. Vet told me he mostly won't survive the night, and I should find a vet that's open tonight to give him a chance.
I'm making arrangements for that.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh dear...I'm so sorry his prognosis isn't better. I'm wondering if this is panleukopenia , based on the meds he's on. It's the parvocare that makes me think this. And the extreme low WBC. But in reading the treatment for it, the IV (or sub-q) fluids are the best thing for him right now, with minerals and vitamins added to them, which is probably what he's getting.

Hoping for the best :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vets are probably right about not force feeding. With a high fever, the organs aren't always able to process food. Sometimes the vet hospital will administer nutrients via I.V. but being in the hospital might create additional stress. Once the final verdict is made, you can explore using herbs such as slippery elm, res raspberry leaf and/or marshmallow root which can be soothing and sometimes healing; consulting a holistic vet would be necessary, especially because the medications already on board.
Between the excellent veterinary care and your devoted love and nursing, Terry has been given the best opportunities possible; now it is between God and him. Please be sure that Terry knows his options if he stays here with us (live in a comfortable home, get scratches and cuddles, tasty food and fresh, cool water at all times) and it may revive his spirit. I will be checking for updates frequently today!
Prayers and vibes from California for Team Terry :vibes::vibes::vibes:

Nilo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Guys, now it's 5AM here. And Terry's surviving. His fever is at 104.5. But he's visibly okay.

He's plenty pissed with me though :/ He's not cooperating anymore at the vet or at home, screams and bites for no apparent reason, doesn't let me touch him and has hobbled over to the door when we returned from the vet, asking to leave for the first time since the fever. I sincerely hope his rebellion and anger is a sign that he's feeling stronger. It hurts to see him like this.

Thank you for everyone's responses, prayers and wishes! It's like an army of people are rooting for Terry. If only Terry knew, he'd totally freak out.

He has my prayers......force feeding is scary. I would try the drop at a time in the cheek first with a syringe. With a white blood cell count like that, it sounds like leukemia, which my cats have. My one cats' WBC count was almost zero! I would start your little one on DMG, after asking the vets first of course, it builds up the immune system. If he can just hang on for a while, his bone marrow will start to produce more cells. You are an angel. I pray he will take a turn for the better and get stronger, but first he needs nourishment. you might try those high calorie gels that come in a tube and thin it down for now, he may even absorb some through his gums. you can get all that online at Walmart, Amazon, pet sites, etc. sometimes a farm supply store will carry the gel too. all the luck.....
Woah, that's even scarier.
I think Terry just has panleukopenia viral infection.
He's unvaccinated as he was a street cat.

Thank you for the new suggestions and the prayers!
I'll inquire about DMG and high calorie gels.
They don't seem to import the gel to my country, but I'll ask my pet shop for any local variants.
Thank you! Have a great day!

This! If you have a blender you can put the cat food and water through a blender. I did this immediately when taking care of a sick kitten. I don't think he can get better very fast if he doesn't have nutrients to use. You'll very slowly increase the food. Our vet here told me every 3 hours. I didn't use a tube to force feed I just gave the syringe and very slowly, a drop at a time he would eat it. I started with only a few drops and he built up to 3 syringes.

The vet is right. He might not like it, but maybe he would like it. He's on anti nausea medication I think it will likely be okay.

If you can use the toothbrush trick to mimic grooming or a cloth on a single finger, you should do that. It is helpful and will make him feel loved and safe.

Also there's a few studies in North America that say if you give a sick cat a box to sleep in that they recovery faster. Maybe you've already done this but I thought to let you know.
Great ideas. I've not heard of any of these.
The toothbrush trick is a great idea to attempt getting him to forgive me.
He's not using the box we have lying around, but I can relocate it and make it more comfy and inviting. I hadn't thought much about it until now.

Maybe these links can help give some ideas too..how is he feeling now?

Assessing Kitten Health — Kitten Lady

kitten lady sick kitten - Google Search
Wow, that's a perfect assessment list. I've been searching for something like that.
Thank you! Now we'll have a much better idea on what's going on with all the cats and kittens me and my family come across in our life.

Can you get Hills A/D or Royal Canin Recovery from your vets? These are two prescription foods meant specifically for this: sick, anorexic cats who may also be nauseated. It's a highly palatable, high calorie "bridge" food to help you get him from here back to regular food. The recovery food is not a forever food. And anyway, it's too rich. Even if he will eat it on his own, he likely won't eat enough of it unless you force feed him small amounts at regular intervals or mix it with a food he also enjoys. I've never tried the recovery food myself. But I think of it like a rich chocolate mousse or chocolate ice cream. (Although in cat terms, that would be like mouse eyeballs and brains.) He's going to find a little bit of rally to eat some of that good stuff. But it's going to be too rich to eat very much of it. However, exceptional times require exceptional measures. I would suggest starting out just putting a little bit on a spoon or a wooden depressor (or if he will tolerate your finger) and just press a small amount to his lips and let him decide if he likes the flavor. If he wants to try on his own, I would start with like a pea-sized amount every couple of hours and build from there as he tolerates it. I wouldn't rush it because his gut and butt will be a little slow getting back up to speed. As he gets stronger and starts to show more interest in eating on his own, I would recommend mixing the recovery food with a regular wet food in whatever proportion he'll tolerate. 90% recovery to 10% regular is a perfectly fine place to start. When I was figuring out my Betty's nausea and vomiting issues, she ate 3:1 (3 parts recovery to 1 part regular food) for a long time until she started to show a preference for the regular food. Then we slowly swapped that ratio until one week she kept eating around the recovery food. Now she only ever gets the recovery food to take her meds or if she needs a little pea-sized jumpstart on her regular portion.

I definitely recommend one of these recovery foods over a sugar solution. You can even mix one up with water and syringe it into the side of his mouth if and when the vet says it's okay to "force feed". I prefer the term "assist feed." But that's just splitting hairs.
That's brilliant. Yes, Recovery is available here.
Delivery says 3-4 days, but I'll try the local pet shop in the morning.
Thank you for such an ideal recommendation!
Yeah, 'assisted' feeding is better.

Oh dear...I'm so sorry his prognosis isn't better. I'm wondering if this is panleukopenia , based on the meds he's on. It's the parvocare that makes me think this. And the extreme low WBC. But in reading the treatment for it, the IV (or sub-q) fluids are the best thing for him right now, with minerals and vitamins added to them, which is probably what he's getting.

Hoping for the best :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:
Yes, you're absolutely right. That's what our vet has diagnosed. I forgot to mention that above.
Thank you for the verification and the wishes. Good to know we're on the right track.

The vets are probably right about not force feeding. With a high fever, the organs aren't always able to process food. Sometimes the vet hospital will administer nutrients via I.V. but being in the hospital might create additional stress. Once the final verdict is made, you can explore using herbs such as slippery elm, res raspberry leaf and/or marshmallow root which can be soothing and sometimes healing; consulting a holistic vet would be necessary, especially because the medications already on board.
Between the excellent veterinary care and your devoted love and nursing, Terry has been given the best opportunities possible; now it is between God and him. Please be sure that Terry knows his options if he stays here with us (live in a comfortable home, get scratches and cuddles, tasty food and fresh, cool water at all times) and it may revive his spirit. I will be checking for updates frequently today!
Prayers and vibes from California for Team Terry :vibes::vibes::vibes:

Yes, the organs concept makes more sense.
What do you mean by final verdict?
I've never heard of using those herbs, I'm such a newb, I'll ask my mom about that.
I can only help Terry because of all the support from the online communities, and wholesome people like yourself. Thank you!
Wish Terry was less pissed with the frequent vet visits.
Thank you for all the support!

Nilo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All of your prayers and wishes are keeping Terry and me going!
You have no idea how much strength and motivation I derive from this community to support Terry.
If Terry is saved, you guys deserve more credit than me. I'm absolutely serious.

Terry's still pissed and scared. His fever's fluctuating 103 - 104 F.
He is scared of even a toothbrush. Everything looks like a needle to him probably.
Despite being too weak to walk properly, he chooses to walk away from me everytime I approach him and he bites if I hold him.
It's been hard getting him nutrition or oral fluids, and it's also making me feel bad to approach him and feed him.

I got him to swallow some ORS a couple times though.
He didn't take to the soft toy. He just ignores it. He was the only kitten of his litter who survived past a month, so he's probably not used to cuddling.
I made a box comfy for him and placed it in one of his favorite locations, and he spent hours lying in front of it, instead of inside it.

daftcat75 daftcat75
The Royal Canin Recovery seems to be out of stock. I instead bought Calibra Recovery. It was more expensive, but it would totally be worth it if only Terry eats it. He hasn't shown any interest yet. I've just used a spoon to tease him with it. I'll keep trying. Thank you for the great suggestion.

You're update made my eyes water:redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump:
Just like your messages make mine.

Is there feline panleukopenia in your area?
Oh, I bet there is.
My suburb has 3-5 unvaccinated street cats in every single street. So, yeah.

I’m so relieved that he’s a little bit better— better enough, at least, to have an attitude.
Yeah, it's pretty confusing to me. He actually seems weaker walking on his own. He's much slower today. But upon seeing humans, he somehow finds strength to rebel more. Sad that he chooses to spend his energy like this.