Kitten and new puppy playing too rough!!

Lukasmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!! We adopted now-7 month old kitty Luka two months ago. two weeks ago, we brought home 3 month old puppy Millie. We tried to take things slow but Luka was immediately obsessed with Millie- running out of his room to look at/play with her constantly. We let them meet each other, each one in a crate and slowly let them begin to interact. About 3 days in, they were chasing each other back and forth down the hallways very respectfully. However, two weeks in, things are getting rough. I *think* they are still playing and they each just go too hard occasionally. He will bite her neck and she will squeal and then I separate. She will nip him too hard and he meows so I separate. But they both keep coming back for more and it’s hard to keep them apart, they are constantly looking for each other. It’s getting exhausting constantly separating them and I’m just wondering- is this just two babies getting overexcited and not knowing when to quit? Are they suddenly butting heads and no longer getting along? How do I address this? Thanks for any advice you can give me!

Here is a video of them:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
They're so cute together!

No, I don't think you have anything to worry about. They look like they are getting along fine. Litters of kittens play the same way, they sometimes get too rough and squeal to let the other kittens know it hurts. They're just working out each other's boundaries.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lukasmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They're so cute together!

No, I don't think you have anything to worry about. They look like they are getting along fine. Litters of kittens play the same way, they sometimes get too rough and squeal to let the other kittens know it hurts. They're just working out each other's boundaries.

Thank you so much, that’s a big relief! I’ve been worried, I don’t want either one to get hurt! :)

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, with cats you know everything is ok if the smaller one keeps coming back. Maybe they squeal and run when its a bit much, but they come back in 5 minutes and even initiate play sometimes. Here, they BOTH are playing rough, too much at times, but both of then are telling you its fine. They are friends and neither is trying to hurt the other; just a little discomfort at times.