kitten always hungry for more?

pika007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone
I have a 6 week old adorable kitten, which I raised feom day 0.
She uses the litterbox, plays and eata well
The only problem is- it looks like she's always hungry for more.
Even after finishing her meal she'll search for more right away, and 10 or 20 minutes after finishing a meal she'll complain and ask for more, and suckling on my claws and knead me.
I am feeding her well, so there is no reason to overfeed her, so- what do I do? I'm really out of ideas...
Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Generally, you feed a kitten of that age as much as she wants to eat. :) Make sure you are feeding a good quality canned food, high in the protein and fats she needs to grow, and low in carbohydrates, which will not satisfy her and will make her even hungrier.

Are you sure she is asking for food, maybe it's just more attention she wants.

Last edited:

frappe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you taken her to the vet to be dewormed? Generally, it is okay to let kittens up to about 6 months eat as much as they want to. They grow SO much at this age that it is important they get adequate nutrition for growing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pika007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The point is, I feed her A LOT! 20cc or so every time when the vet said around 15 should be good, and around 1/4 of a wet food can when it should be around 1/6 or so
I feed her kmr for formulated milk, and fancy feast for wet food

Not wormed yet, could this be the cause?

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, she should be dewormed, unless her mom was a indoor only cat well dewormed or without worm problems... So this is prob part of the answer.    Use a preparate containing Pyrantel.

Kittens needs much. They are growing, AND playing a lot.  Make sure her food has a lot of fat...

So no low fats foods for kittens. They may be ok for oldies, but not for kittens.

I remember our younger resident when a kitten.

At first he ate up his own portion.  After it he ate up his dads portion, dad allowing him too. And after it he meowed for more!

He got to be a big kitten. As adult he was a rather small adult male. Now as senior citizen he got some rather protruding belly. While his dad is still like a handsome youngster.    :)

Good luck!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're going to feed dry food at all, at this age I'd leave a bowl of dry out all the time, and as much canned food as she wants (if no dry, even more canned!). You can also start weaning her off the formula, or add it to her food instead of giving a bottle. She's kind of like a year-old baby at this point--too old for so much formula, more solid food instead.