Kitten always hissing

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I can try lying down and see if she'll run over me with the toy today. I can already get her to run into and bounce against my legs, but I haven't tried actually getting her to go onto me in pursuit, since she's still a bit skittish. She still runs off if I walk directly at her (hiss, runs, comes back out 20 seconds later).
I would definitely give it a try.
The 'coming back' is a very good sign.:)

And your goal is to get your kitten to accept human touch.
You will have to get her used to this, since she will need to go to the Vets, need all her shots, spay, flea meds, etc.

Plus, when you said you picked her up, while weighing her, and she hissed, squirmed, meowed,....this was a total normal reaction.
If you have to weigh her again, try to pick her up in her 'cat blanket'....she may feel more secure in this.
And put down one of your worn shirts near her, when she sleeps out on her cat bed, cat tree, etc.
Have a great day with her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NovusAnimus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just fed her a Catit Creamy by hand, which she devoured readily. She sees my other hand move over her head (I was pointing at something), she hisses and leaves. Comes back literally 2 seconds later for more, until she's slurping this stuff down an inch from my fingers.

This girl. 😐

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you get on the floor, while feeding her the Catit Creamy, and get her to step on your leg, ...next time.
Also, move your hand slowly in front, or from the side of her....not over her head....that tends to scare even adult cats.

Get some of that Catit Creamy stuff onto your hands, ...and get her to lick it off. Cats tongues are rough, like sandpaper...so be prepared.:thumbsup:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NovusAnimus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you get on the floor, while feeding her the Catit Creamy, and get her to step on your leg, ...next time.
Also, move your hand slowly in front, or from the side of her....not over her head....that tends to scare even adult cats.

Get some of that Catit Creamy stuff onto your hands, ...and get her to lick it off. Cats tongues are rough, like sandpaper...so be prepared.:thumbsup:
lol I've lived with cats before, several, in different times in the past. Got along well with all of them. That's part of why this experience with this kitten is so unusual to me.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
lol I've lived with cats before, several, in different times in the past. Got along well with all of them. That's part of why this experience with this kitten is so unusual to me.
lol. Well, I think that your kitten is just unique and special. And to me....you are getting along fine with her, too.

They say that all cats have their own unique personalities....and all of them teach us different things...about them, about life,...making our lives way more interesting, enriching and fulfilling.

Your little kitten is just teaching you things, in a different way.:)
(My guess would be that she may have been the last one born, so maybe a little bit slower in getting used to new things.
But it does not matter anyhow, since the last ones....end up being the best ones. And her history, does not really matter.
How you respond, and how she responds....is all that counts.)

Hey, they say that 'unusual experiences' are what makes life so much more adventurous.
So here's to your 'kitten adventure' continuing. (take plenty of photos, too....they grow up way too fast.) :blush:

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of my kittens is quite shy and he's a hisser too (although never at people, just at other cats and new situations). He is helped greatly by the other kitten who is fearless. . .when he first came home with us --and wasn't allowed to be with our first kitten yet-- he would hide away in a corner or under something in any room except his kitten room. But once they were together he started exploring.

But anyway, I find even now that he's quite comfortable here with us, that he shys away if I just reach out to pet him(unlike my other kitten who will take an affection offered!). However,when I lay in bed he will approach me and ask for pets and will purr like mad. I think the combination of my looming over him and being in motion still spooks him, but when I am laying quietly in bed he feels happy to approach and snuggle. your girl maybe isn't there yet, but I was just thinking about what a previous poster suggested. . .and thinking that if you are laying down she may feel less afraid. Just sharing some observations in case they are helpful. . .I've not had a cat as shy as this one before and it still surprises me. Our other kitten is afraid of nothing (helpful when you have children at home!) and I'm so used to her that the difference in his personality was very interesting. And I know he was socialized well!!! It's just in his nature to be very shy and cautious.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Isabelle was growly when I took her in at 6 months. Playing with her seemed to help get her negative energy out and she calmed down. Although, she still growls to communicate with me, such as if I need to get up and she is content and cuddling in my lap, when I move she will growl to show she isn't happy I'm moving but jump down. Not sure when she was separated from her mom and siblings, but the girl I adopted her from had some pictures that made Isabelle look young.

A few months ago, I adopted 2 kittens. One had been found a stray at about 2 months and the other one was given up by a family who had too many cats at almost 3 months. They were both almost 3 months when I adoptedPersia, the stray, was very timid and while she loves to be held and would start purring when anyone held her at the shelter, did not like me approaching her once home. Once it was nighttime and I laid in bed, she came over and curled next to my leg and allowed me to touch her.

For the next week or so she seemed hesitant with me approaching her. Katrina, the other kitten, seemed to help Persia gain the confidence to approach me and ask for pets. Katrina is extremely bold and would climb right into my lap or approach and meow begging to be picked up. Persia seemed to understand Katrina did this for attention and tried to mimic her. Times when I was holding Katrina were also the times Persia seemed most comfortable trying to approach me. I'd see Persia approach, but then seem to slink back wondering if she should approach, then she would advance towards me again, and hesitate again. Persia also started making this tiny, strained meow when she approached me, like vocal Katrina, even though Persia wasn't quite sure if she wanted me reaching out towards her yet. I truly believe that having Katrina helped Persia a lot to feel comfortable and confident and be able to open up.