Kitten always hissing

NovusAnimus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
2 weeks ago I adopted a ragdoll kitten, 18 weeks old at the time, female, from a breeder. I started her off in my room, where she quickly made her home under my bed, and I got to talk to all day while I worked. I'm a writer and work from home, I have no children, no other pets, and 1 roommate who's gone most of the time. I spend 15m-45m playing with her every day, and often approach her either on all fours, on my butt, standing, sometimes sliding on my stomach.

Day 1: Car trip home, 6 hour drive, not fun for kitten in carrier. Get home, kitten hides under my bed.

Day 2: Kitten continues to hide, but isn't bolting terrified. I get under the bed with her, try and talk to her gently, but she dislikes this, so I leave her be. She is eating and drinking and using the litter box, but only if I'm not around. Will hiss the moment I approach.

Day 3: Begins to explore the room, very slowly and shyly. Will hiss the moment I approach.

Day 5: Brave enough to run around the room floor while I work. When playing, is brave enough to chase toy up to my leg and touch me. Sniffs my leg, sniffs my hand. Will hiss the moment I approach.

Day 6: I open door to bedroom to let her explore the apartment. She doesn't. Will hiss the moment I approach.

Day 7: Shy, quick trips out of the bedroom to explore. Will hiss the moment I approach.

Day 8: Jumps up onto my desk while I'm working. Hisses if I move my hand toward her even slightly. Is exploring the apartment more thoroughly. Will hiss the moment I approach.

Day 10: Jumps onto my bed, playing and stuff. I set my head onto bed, no problems. Will hiss the moment I approach.

Day 12: Comfortable exploring the apartment even when my roommate and I are watching TV. Will sit on cat tower 7 feet away from the two of us, grooming herself. Lots of slow blinks. Will hiss the moment I approach.

Day 13: Breeder suggests picking her up and ignoring her the hissing. I do, cat hisses for 2 seconds, squirms for 5, then starts meowing sadly. I pet her, put her down, she runs away. Will hiss the moment I approach.

Any attempt to get my finger in close enough to let her sniff (not touch, just let her sniff), makes her hiss, then leave. If I touch her with a wand toy's stick end, she'll hiss and run. I get her food and bring it, the path into my room makes her hiss. She can eat food with me only 6 inches away, she'll slow blink at me all day, will actively move to sit under my work chair and groom herself, she'll play with me all day, but any attempt to actually move into her space gets a hiss, and then if i move any more, she runs.

Thoughts?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I disagree with the breeder. You have to wait for her. Sure, she is taking longer than normal, most kittens are settled in under a week (and often much less), but two weeks isn't totally crazy long. More importantly, I don't think "show her how nice it is" on the lap or being picked up ever works.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hissing, is fear. She's still very unsure and it's her way of letting you know she's afraid. What I find interesting is that you are able to get her to play, and she is coming out and utilizing the space she's living in. So she's comfortable where she is.

Having experience with a hissy cat I'm going to suggest what might be the opposite of what some might tell you to do, but it did work for me personally. Especially since you are dealing with a kitten.

If you are able to get her into a smaller space, where she isn't able to hide I'd ignore the hissing and go ahead and pick her up. This is what I did with our cat, who was a heck of lot older. She hid for weeks under our guest room bed, hissing at me and finally I just felt like she needed to know I meant her no harm and the only way I could show her that, was to actually get her in my arms and quietly talk to her, stroke her and love her.

It worked like a charm and the hissing stopped within a day or so. She just needed to know that I was worth her trust I guess. I took a big chance because an adult cat could have done me harm but you are dealing with a kitten and she surely isn't going to be able to do much to hurt you. It's worth a shot at this point.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NovusAnimus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I disagree with the breeder. You have to wait for her. Sure, she is taking longer than normal, most kittens are settled in under a week (and often much less), but two weeks isn't totally crazy long. More importantly, I don't think "show her how nice it is" on the lap or being picked up ever works.
Breeder's advice was in hopes frequent, forced (but gentle) holding will help kitten get over her fear, like sivyaleah suggests.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are very brave. 😱 I'm afraid of damaging our new relationship. If she were an adult, I'd be too worried about more than hissing.
Honestly, I was kind of afraid too. But I just had a sense it was what she needed. I just felt she had suffered some trauma and it's in my nature to nurture - so I threw caution to the wind.

I do think in your case the breeder would have a good sense of what the kitten needs. After raising many litters I'm sure she/he has seen dozens and dozens of various behavioral challenges come and go when kittens are placed in new homes. It can be a small trauma for a kitten to suddenly be without it's mother and litter mates. Some, adjust easily because it's in their nature to be outgoing, friendly and good natured. Our new kitten came to us in September very well socialized and it only took a day for her to feel "at home". But other kittens take longer to acclimate. You've been quite patient to your credit but I do understand the frustration you are feeling. I hope you realize that eventually there will be a breakthrough and all will be well and good. But I do think you may have to push a little bit to get to that point - gently, of course. Don't put her down right away. Try walking around with her in your arms talking to her, see if you can engage her in something - look out a window, have a yummy treat for her perhaps, maybe a favorite toy you can entice her with as you hold her. Anything to help her connect you as a "good thing" instead of "a scary thing"

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to admit that I have never adopted a pure bred kitten but I have had a number kittens and adult cats. While picking up a fearful cat against their wishes may work, I don’t think it works for all cats and I would never put a cat or kitten through that kind of stress. If you are patient and wait the kitten will lose their fear on their own without having to suffer through the scary experience of you not respecting her boundaries.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every cat is different. I can understand the thought of pushing past the fear and holding the kitten. I work mostly with feral or abandoned kitties and I have to take that into consideration when trying to catch them. I can’t always just pick them up. My personal preference is to get the kitten to come to me if possible. You have made progress by bringing her towards you with a toy. I think you could take this a little further. With ferals I lead them to me while I lay on my back on the ground. Belly up is less threatening. I have used toys and food to bring them close by degrees. Eventually I lead them to climb on top of me but I don’t immediately try to touch them. I let them get accustomed to walking on me as I lay still. Once they are brave enough to climb over me , I put my hand, palm down, where they can fully examine it. Movement begins with extending a finger. Putting some Gerber 2nd foods , all meat, baby food on a finger tip can help. That’s hard for a kitten to resist.
Another trick I use is giving them a shirt I have worn to lay on. They get used to my scent that way.
Using a small room , like a bathroom can give them fewer places to hide. I give every kitty their own carrier or cage as their safe haven for life. It is their napping place, hiding place and traveling turtle shell. Lol No matter where they go, they always have their safe place to retreat to if they get frightened or just want a peaceful place to hang out. This is very helpful during vet visits and travel. The kitties seem reassured if they have their house to protect them. If you put a carrier in a small room ,the kitty may be more easily accessed for socialization.
It sounds like the kitten is making progress. Some just take longer than others but love and patience will win out.
BTW we love pictures if you could post one!

NovusAnimus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Every cat is different. I can...
Here's the princess: This is around the corner of my bed. My work chair is 5 feet away from her. Her carrier and food and water are 7 feet away in the across corner of the room. Her favourite place is under the bed, and she sleeps there during the day and night.

As for your suggestions, I can try them, but I can't move her into a smaller room now, not after she's started getting used to so much more of the apartment.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She’s beautiful! I totally get that moving her would feel like setting her back. It may not be needed anyway. Under the bed seems to be the favorite spot of nearly every kitty in the beginning. I think they know it’s a hard place for us to access! :lol: The laying on your back and trying to lure her to you might work though. Kitties are smart and she looks very content. Hmmmm. Maybe she’s “putting her paw down”. Lol Our kitties do have independent natures but she looks like a snuggler to me. I’m betting that she mostly needs adjustment time. Just keep working with her. There are lots of methods you can try as you go if you find a need.
Thank you for the photo! She melted my heart! :redheartpump:

NovusAnimus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Day 14: So I had to weigh her today. I picked her up again, which she didn't like, same hiss, then some squirming, then some sad meowing. I pet her, stroked her chin and cheeks until she calmed down. Weighed her with me, then myself alone, for the difference. When I set her down, she didn't run as far this time, and thirty minutes later stood on the couch and watched me do my workout from 4 feet away.

I'll back off on picking her up or touching her when she hisses for a while, and see if I can coax her into being more willing to touch me on her own. She has a vet visit in a week, so hopefully I'll see some success.

Sidewinder

"Say what, crackerhead?"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Patience is a virtue... when I rescued Phoenix & Tiger, they spent at least a week under the sofa in the living room. I didn't bother them much, I just let them get used to their new surroundings at their own pace. Sometimes, just ignoring a cat's fear and going about your own business will help ease the tension... no staring down the cat or suddenly moving toward it. Feeding time and treats will help reinforce the idea that you are not a threat... to a small kitten, a human is truly a giant, but once the kitten learns that you're a gentle giant, the situation should improve. Good advice from others here, let the kitten lie on a shirt you've worn to get used to your scent... my cats love lying on clothes I throw on my bed, not dirty clothes but shirts I may wear again later that day or night (no extra charge for cat hair, LOL). :dizzycat:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here's the princess: This is around the corner of my bed. My work chair is 5 feet away from her. Her carrier and food and water are 7 feet away in the across corner of the room. Her favourite place is under the bed, and she sleeps there during the day and night.

As for your suggestions, I can try them, but I can't move her into a smaller room now, not after she's started getting used to so much more of the apartment.
She's gorgeous :redheartpump:

NovusAnimus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sitting in my work chair, kitten in her scratching bed, the one in the picture. I lean down and put a treat down between us. She comes over slowly, eats it, goes back to scratching bed. I get another treat, and put it down in literally the same spot, and she hisses at me from her scratching bed.

:(

NovusAnimus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
2 hours from her feeding time.
I go to kitchen to make myself a salad.
She follows me, standing outside the kitchen (we keep it closed off normally). She begins meowing sadly, wanting food. Meows and waits until I'm done making food.
I leave kitchen, she's at my feet, and hisses at me before heading 5 feet toward bedroom. Looks behind her at me, sees me moving toward bedroom. Hisses at me, enters bedroom. I enter bedroom, she hisses at me, goes under bed. I sit down at desk, she then immediately begins wandering around me, meowing sadly, looking for food. Sits under my chair, looking up at me, meowing for food.

:(

If I go get her food, the same thing will occur. I can then set the food down, sit 2 inches from it, and she'll eat it (done this experiment already). She'll then go back to her scratching bed, and ignore me. Unless I move toward her even slightly, then she'll hiss.

NovusAnimus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the spam, but detailing the strange behaviour might lead to something.

So for her last meal of the day, she follows me to the kitchen, and stands at the kitchen entryway while I get her meal ready.
She meows sadly, waiting for her food. Meal prepared, I walk toward the entryway where she is seated/lying down.
She hisses at me. So I step back, put the food bowl back on the counter, and leave my arms at my side so she can see I left the food behind.
She starts meowing sadly, waiting for her food. I pick up the food bowl, walk toward the kitchen entry.
She hisses at me. So I step back, put the food bowl back on the counter, and leave my arms at my side so she can see I left the food behind.

This happens about 7 times before it becomes clear the kitten is not going to move, and is going to hiss if I approach. So I am left with no choice but to walk forward, sending her into a repeated routine of 'hisses at me, heads towards bedroom, hisses at me, moves more toward bedroom, hisses at me, I feed her.'

This time, I not only sat 2 inches away from the meal while she ate it, I also got up and stood over her while she ate. This startled her, but she went back into eat in a second. I shifted around, moving my leg in toward the bowl until it was touching the bowl, which made her hiss, but I kept my foot there, and she started eating again. I shifted around a little more, no more hissing about the foot.

I really have no idea if I'm making progress or not. The little hisses at the drop of a hat from moving or looking in her direction feels so out of tune with the rest of her.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
NovusAnimus NovusAnimus I'm curious - do you talk to her as all of this is going on?
Also, you say "feeding time". At 18 weeks she should have food available to her at all times. Do you keep kibble down for her to munch on in between meals? Kittens need a LOT of food. The burn off an enormous amount of calories a day. I ask because maybe she isn't being fed enough and part of her hissing may be she's hungry, and upset, and trying to tell you this.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you not simply set the food bowl down, step over or around her, and leave her to eat? I know that you are trying to get to warm up to you but your actions may be having the opposite affect on her. Give her space, a lot of space and ignore her until she comes to you. She should have dry food out all the time and wet food a couple times day.

NovusAnimus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
NovusAnimus NovusAnimus I'm curious - do you talk to her as all of this is going on?
Also, you say "feeding time". At 18 weeks she should have food available to her at all times. Do you keep kibble down for her to munch on in between meals? Kittens need a LOT of food. The burn off an enormous amount of calories a day. I ask because maybe she isn't being fed enough and part of her hissing may be she's hungry, and upset, and trying to tell you this.
She gets 3 meals a day and generally takes 2-4 hours to finish 1 meal. If she scarfed down her food or some such I'd be worried about it, but she takes her sweet time, and occasionally I have to chuck some left overs in the garbage.

Please cite your source about leaving food out all the time, as well. At 20 weeks old, everything I've read suggests 3 times a day is fine.

Could you not simply set the food bowl down, step over or around her, and leave her to eat? I know that you are trying to get to warm up to you but your actions may be having the opposite affect on her. Give her space, a lot of space and ignore her until she comes to you. She should have dry food out all the time and wet food a couple times day.

The kitchen isn't a safe place for her to eat. Ant trap! (it's a clean apartment, but some ants have sneaked their way in using the kitchen pipes) It has a door so closing it and keeping her out of there is easy enough.

Stepping over her would end in her hissing and running, unfortunately.