kitten age check

MackerelTabbyStripes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've offered to help trap a couple kittens living under a deck in my neighborhood. I don't know how to age kittens, so I'm not sure how much intensive socializing they'd need. I suspect they're at least 12 weeks old and it'll be difficult.

All the shelters and rescues in my area are very very full, and the TNR groups are helpful but very opposed to trying to bring any feral cat over about 10 weeks in for socialization or adoption. I know it can be successful after that time, but it takes a lot of work, I can't just drop them off at a rescue. I don't think I could actually adopt them long term, and again all the shelters are really full. The people who on the deck they live under are kind and perhaps already partly attached to them, should I try to explain TNR caretaking and see if they would be willing to do it, or should I try to socialize them and get them adopted?

Attachments

thewarriors

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i would try to explain tnr caretaking with them. you’ve already expressed that you likely wouldnt be able to adopt them out. unfortunately we all do what we are able to and in this situation it may be best to tnr them and care for the colony. i was in your situation before and tried to adopt out a kitten knowing i likely may not be able to and a year later i now have her as another member of the household.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I think that these kittens are at least 12 weeks old and, as you say, certainly can be socialized after that point. Given your situation, I think I would explain TNR to these people, along with maintenance of a small "colony" of two and see what they think. If you have misread them or they have rethought this, then you can consider trying yourself. Maybe someone else in your neighborhood would help out?

Kokomo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I adopted Bug as a "feral" cat. I put feral in quotes because while he was born in a feral cat colony and trapped from there he isn't your traditional feral cat. However, I got him when he was between two and three months old based on the vet's best guess. He still has not warmed up to very many people other than myself, but as you can see with me he is very comfortable and a complete lap cat/cuddlebug. So they can definitely be worked with when they are a little older.

1629939400857.png

1629939450160.png

1629939503891.png

1629939660492.png

1629939866414.png

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MackerelTabbyStripes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your Bug is adorable!!

Update -- One of the two kittens has been successfully trapped and is isolated in my bathroom! The other one was too light to trigger the trip plate, unfortunately, but he's a little too old to be small enough that someone could just pick him up. I think they may be younger than I thought, and just barely independent from mom-cat. Or else, something happened to them or mom cat to separate them and they normally would still be with her.

I am really hopeful that the other one will be caught soon, it feels pretty bad to have them apart right now. But I'm glad that we have one that for sure will be safe and can get vetted.

I'm keeping her isolated in a crate in my bathroom, but I am wondering-- after a vet visit would it be safe to introduce her to the cats I have now? I don't want to spread any disease, and of course they need to get introduced by smell first and have some time, but I know my boy-cat loooves cuddling and snuggling other kitties, and I think he could help make her feel less scared.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
That is such good news! Most of the time when I have been in these situations the other kitten is not that hard to trap. Use KFC one time if you have to! I have always let cats mix, after introductions, if the vet has cleared them. She probably still needs her safe room, but your boy cat could help you to socialize you.

MackerelTabbyStripes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope that's the case! They are going to try a bit longer tonight with tuna, then put the food away in case of raccoons, etc. Tomorrow they'll start trying again if they don't get him tonight. I'll suggest KFC :)

It's just so frustrating that he went in the trap! More than once! Ate a whole meal, just it wasn't sensitive enough for his weight. He's such a little thing I hope he gets trapped soon. But their deck seems pretty secure and safe, so I am hoping he will be fine, stick nearby, and be trapped soon.

MackerelTabbyStripes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update -- the kitty hasn't bee inside more than a day and already started to purr and make biscuits! Still very nervous but warming up so very fast. I really hope the sibling gets trapped soon. He was seen nearby again this morning, but they haven't caught him yet.

Any updated guess on age given this photo? It's hard getting a quick vet visit and so I still don't have a real understanding yet.

Attachments

MackerelTabbyStripes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We got the boy!! He's adorable, but very scared. He tried to fight me when I put him in with his sister.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:) SOOO nice to read about someone just jumping in and getting trapping done! Good for you!
You're getting good advice from lots of great members! I agree - at least 12 weeks old (always hard to tell w/o comparison to other cats/kittens/etc. - but think at least 12 weeks or a tad older (right around 4 months), but hate to say definitively how old. And I'm SOOOOO glad you got 1! It's best for her for SO many reasons - - - a big one being that at about 4 months she can start having litters of her own!!!!!! Which would be SO hard on her and on any surviving kittens. So WOOHOO for catching her!

For other, lighter kitten, you might need to use a drop trap. If you have a local spay/neuter clinic, they very likely might have a drop trap you could borrow. Your vet might also - - - or any of your local vets. If she really is just too light to set off a regular, trip-plate trap. Double check first though that the trip-plate trap can't be set so it's more sensitive - most can be.

And absolutely keep her from your kitties. You just never know what she might have that's contagious - and it's not worth exposing your current kitties to give her more space temporarily. (I know you WANT to - I would too! - but she needs to be apart from your other guys until you know she's tested ok for everything, been fixed, and gotten all necessary vaccines. It's really critical they stay apart until then. If being in your bathroom is too tight - - - do you have an extra bedroom or an office? Even a large walk-in closet? If not - - the bathroom won't be bad for her until she's "vet approved - - - just might be nice for a bit of a leg stretch. But making sure she's healthy is most important!

As far as socialization - - - - good for you! Sounds like she's making progress already!!!!!! It's possible she's had some kindness from a few people in your neighborhood, so she may be used to getting a litttttttle close to people (like 5 feet away :)). We did have, however, one that - despite being 2 years old and us being told she was "way too late to try to socialize: - - take a look at little Flick's picture I attached. She's now a bonafide lap kitty -who disdained the idea of rain or snow. So socializing an older cat (and yours really doesn't qualify as "older" :lol: - if so I qualify as "ancient") can definitely be done.

And once you can socialize her with your others - PLEASE take it slowly! Lots of us have suggestions on how to do slow introductions (which are WAY more successful then "open the door and see what happens" :headshake:. Keep us posted where you are with her. We can also help you socialize her while in the bathroom. Check the sites articles (see "cat articles" in the top navigation - - lots of useful stuff there!)....and don't be afraid to ask questions. Many of us have done LOTS of this and are very happy to help!

(and here's Flick cuddled in a blanket - with her little "flick" of white that looks like a heart, front and center- - - feral no more!)

Flick3_15_2019.jpg

MackerelTabbyStripes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Flick is lovely!! We got the other kitty last night -- so now we have them both. He was a bit traumatized from being caught & transported, and maybe from not knowing where his sister was last night, so he was really freaked out when I transferred him from trap to the crate they're living in. I think he also made the first girl more scared too from his reactions, since this morning she was more flighty than she had been before. But after a bit of waiting and then some petting, she was back to purring. I didn't try to touch the new one, I figure he can just calm down and watch the other kitten enjoy getting touched for a little while.

They both were still too nervous to move around much while I was there, and didn't eat breakfast while I watched. I did leave it for them, but I understand that some feral kitten socialization techniques rely on only feeding when you are there? I might do that in the future, but they're coming along so well and only just got trapped, I wanted to give them some peace and let them eat while covered in the crate.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
This is a real success story....and so fast! You did a great job getting those two. After a day or so, they may both be calmer as the boy recognizes and bonds with his sister. I once trapped a brother and sister 6 weeks apart. The sister was a mess until she realized that she was in the same room as her brother and completely calmed down. Definitely let them have some peace and quiet and eat and then evaluate them.

MackerelTabbyStripes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They are so adorable!! I came to check on them earlier today, and they were just cuddling and holding each other. The girl we first caught is sometimes very, very happy to be petted. She will roll on her back and let me rub her belly, or rub her face on my hand. She won't come to me, and is still nervous of moving around while I'm there. And sometimes she's in a less trusting mood it seems, and doesn't start purring. But she's doing very well!

Her sibling, who I'm calling a boy though he's not at all let me check, is still far more wary. He now will let me touch him, even pet, but no purring yet. I had to transfer them out of their crate to a carrier today and thoroughly clean it up for them, and he gave me a couple small hisses through the process. But it's just a little warning, he's just scared still. He seems to be more food motivated of the two of them, and will move to a food dish sooner than she will. I'm still allowing them to eat while I'm not watching most of the time, but they've eaten treats while I was there, and I can hear them start eating while I might still be in the room just have replaced their cover.

It seems like great progress since Thursday!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are making wonderful progress with them. This is so fast for little ferals...the girl almost sounds as if she can be socialized enough to become a pet and forget her feral past. Even the boy, to let you touch him is a big step. I bet the fact that they are together gives him some confidence. Hopefully they can be adopted together since they are so bonded?

MackerelTabbyStripes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, we're definitely planning to try to place them together. Still no purring from the 2nd kitten yet, but got stepped on a bit while his sister was arranging herself to best get more petting, or when she was turning around so she could rub her cheek or back on my hand! LOL. We are having a vet come by tomorrow to give them their shots & examine them. I guess I'll also get a professional opinion of their age!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Too cute how the sister has handed in her feral card and the little boy is not sure yet. They are very lucky to have a vet come to the house for their first visit.