Kitten afraid of other people

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all! My.MIL is coming in two weeks and staying until the end of February to help with baby in the way.

How can I help the new kitten not be scared of her?

When we have people over she hides under the couch / bed / closet until they leave.

Any tips would be helpful!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she is patient and quiet near the kitten the kitten could come to trust her. That may be tough with a new baby in the house and her spending a lot of time with the baby. Still, kittens are very adaptible; as long as she is patient it will likely happen.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A ArtNJ should I pick kitten up and bring her down to her mom? Or any tips like that?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A ArtNJ should I pick kitten up and bring her down to her mom? Or any tips like that?
I'd say no, because the last thing you want to do is make the kitten stressed in the vicinity of your mom. When people talk about handling kittens and exposing them to things, they are talking about super young kittens. Once they get old enough to venture off away from mom, that time is past and its best to let them be the boss of how fast relationships go. I always say to think about courting someone of the opposite sex. What do you do? Whatever they like and will accept. You don't grab at them. You can use presents (treats) and try to engage them in activities (toys) in a low key way.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! There are some terrific tips in those articles :)
Can you have your MIL bring you something (or send it, well sealed if distance requires that it needs to be mailed) of hers such as worn as-yet-unwashed socks or a tshirt so the kitten can have the chance to become a little more familiar with her scent?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So my MIL is here as of last night (Oscar) who has seen her before is his normal self.

Ellie came out at night when everyone was sleep and back into hiding.

We have someone else staying tonight and a baby shower tomorrow.

Do y'all think it's best to put Ellie in her own room for the next few days?

MIL is staying until end of February

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, she is stressed out enough. A party will scare her badly. Put her in a far away room, when the party is going have Oscar in there with her. Have a litter box, food and water. Don't let ANYONE go into that room, she could be scared enough to attack if someone forces her to do what she doesn't want to do. She may really panic. NEVER force a cat, it just doesn't work, the are not like dogs that are pack animals. Later, when everything is quiet again, open the door and that is it. My cats are scared to death of everyone. But if the company stays more than a couple of days, they start coming out. Have your MIL talk to her in a low, quiet vice and DO NOT approach her. she will also observe Oscar and see he is alright and feel safer. If she hides the whole time that is her choice, she will come out at night. My family is loud, so my cats will hide a whole week if they have to.

platty

Hobbyist Bengal Cat Breeder
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a russian blue which was just like that she never changed at all but was still a sweetheart.