Kitten adopted at 6 weeks

aisling31

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, all! I’m curious if anyone has input or advice regarding kitten to kitten intros where one of the kittens wasn’t properly socialized (I.e. adopted at 6 weeks). I adopted a rescue at 6 weeks who’s now 10 weeks, and I recently adopted a now 13 wk old kitten. I’ve had both for a week.

I’ve done a ton of research on introductions, and i haven’t seen anything related to my situation. I’ll start by saying that I *think* I’ve done my due diligence when it comes to making the transition for both of the kittens as smooth as possible: scent swapping, separate rooms, feliway, feeding across doors, no visual contact for days, rubbing one’s face and then rubbing the other’s, etc.

When I introduced the two, my resident kitten (now 10 wk old) was very curious; she didn’t growl and she kept approaching the new kitten (now 13 wks) hoping she would play with her. She would lightly tap the new kitten, and get into play stances, but the new kitten isn’t happy. She growls and takes on the fearful aggressive stance whenever Caoimhe tries to play with her (ears back, on the ground, growling, swatting). Caoimhe doesn’t get the hint, and doesn’t back up enough. She wont quit bugging Maeve! And I don’t see Caoimhe either asserting dominance or being submisssive; I don’t think she knows how. Is that possible?

I think part of the problem is that my rescue kitten hasn’t learned how to properly cat. I knew this would likely be an issue. She didn’t have any siblings when growing up, and no fellow foster kitten playmates. She’s feisty, playful, and spunky, and Maeve is more chill and looking for cuddles.

Anyone have suggestions for how to proceed? When Maeve gets into her fearful stance, I separate them, but neither seems to be making progress. Thank you!!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!

Your resident feline is comfortable in her territory and wants to play. Your new baby isn't comfortable and isn't ready to interact. Time should work it's usual magic I think - just make sure Maeve has some time to acclimate to her new normal :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aisling31

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!

Your resident feline is comfortable in her territory and wants to play. Your new baby isn't comfortable and isn't ready to interact. Time should work it's usual magic I think - just make sure Maeve has some time to acclimate to her new normal :)
Thank you for your encouragement! I’ve been so worried about Caoimhe, worrying that she’s not going to be ok or won’t know how to ‘cat,’ bc she was orphaned at 4 weeks...and I needed the reminder to give it time!!

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, personally I most probably wouldn’t even bother with formal introduction of kittens this age, so you seem to be very well prepared. Now time will help, they will sort things out and learn from one another. Good luck and enjoy them!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aisling31

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both for the support! They’re getting along a little bit better today, and I think the older kitten is starting to teach Caoimhe when enough is enough *and* Caoimhe is kinda getting the message😻