Kitten acting strange in litter box

ezramc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have an 11 week old kitten. This has been going for a little over a week. When she approaches the litter box, most of the time, she starts whining. She doesn't seem to be in pain, just anxious. She then starts digging as if she were looking for something, pausing, then digging some more. Sometimes when she pauses, she'll lie down in the box and smell around. She doesn't even go there to poop/pee sometimes when she does this. She'll look anxious while doing this and then maybe meow a bit before heading out. She poops/pees normally though. She poops 2 times a day (morning, evening) and pees 1 or 2 times a day (I think). She eats very well and also plays and rests like a normal kitten. It's just the litter box that seems strange for her. She even meows/whines a bit when she passes by the litter box while playing, almost as if she had litter box related trauma.

The litter box doesn't smell or anything, though it may be too small as we got it when she was younger. It measures 14×11×3.5 in inches. She's a small 2.6 lb, 11 wk old kitten.

(As for her weight being low, she's been on the lighter side for a while but is progressively gaining weight so it doesn't seem to be a problem).

Any advice as to what the issue might be?

Here's a video sample (not all details there)

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Announcing their need to pee or poop is a common kitten behavior that usually goes away as they get older. They may sound anxious or like they are calling for their mom. I would check her poop though to make sure it isn’t super hard and if it is you can add a teaspoon of plain canned pumpkin to her wet food to soften it up.

nwc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Announcing their need to pee or poop is a common kitten behavior that usually goes away as they get older. They may sound anxious or like they are calling for their mom. I would check her poop though to make sure it isn’t super hard and if it is you can add a teaspoon of plain canned pumpkin to her wet food to soften it up.
I hope you're right. Mine is roughly 6 months old, and also still makes that anxious trilling sound when approaching the box.