kitten 8days old has swollen arm + ongoing issues (rapid breathing)

Priya26

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
On 6th day the sweeling happened and since then it has swollen more . There are no sting mark .also the kitten always stay with its mother in a sufficiently big carton. Kindly help I am very scared

Attachments

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could it be infected? If so, your best bet is taking the kitten to the vet.

Also, does the kitten seem to be in pain? Is it using the paw normally when nursing?

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Priya26

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes its using the paw also there are no marks of infection or insect bite.

Priya26

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Regarding vet, i dont have any vet near me and due to covid many are not taking visits. And the mother might freak out if i take her kitty as this is her only baby .

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Call a local vet and explain the situation. Or if you have an emergency vet nearby they have been seeing new clients. Regarding mom, you can and should take mom along with the baby to the vet. It will keep both of them calmer.

If there is no vet you can truly visit, you can only watch and wait at this point. With no outward sign of injury there is no home treatment option. If a wound opens, keep it clean. Otherwise supportive care by making sure the kitten is getting food from mom and staying warm.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If a wound does open be very cautious about using human medicines on it. These can be dangerous for cats.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Swelling would generally indicate a soft tissue injury or infection. Infection might require an antibiotic. A soft tissue injury would likely heal on its own in time, and could be from the leg getting inadvertently twisted or stepped on by mom. If it continues to swell or does not improve soon, you should really get it looked at by a vet.

The leg looks red. Do the other legs look that way? If not, it may be infection and need treating as soon as possible.

Priya26

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey! Thanks for all the help. Unfortunately the vet was unable to cure my baby and it died . I took the time to absorb the patheticcccc situation . Meanwhile my another cat gave birth to a litter of 3. Among them two were pretty weak only the first one was born strong . But all of them were very active sadly yesterday i found one kitten still , can anyone help me with my question" is it normal that in litter of many one kitten dies?" This is mamma cat(Baghini s) first set of litter.

Priya26

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Swelling would generally indicate a soft tissue injury or infection. Infection might require an antibiotic. A soft tissue injury would likely heal on its own in time, and could be from the leg getting inadvertently twisted or stepped on by mom. If it continues to swell or does not improve soon, you should really get it looked at by a vet.

The leg looks red. Do the other legs look that way? If not, it may be infection and need treating as soon as possible.
No the leg turned blue , and rest of the paws were normal.

Priya26

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If a wound does open be very cautious about using human medicines on it. These can be dangerous for cats.
Thankyou. No i didnot commit any such mistake . I am well versed with the harshness of human medicine on cat and how deadly it is on kitten that too so young

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It is not uncommon in a litter for a weak kitten not to make it. Do you plan to spay your cats to stop the breeding cycles?

Priya26

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can anyone tell me my cat js active and playfull but breathes very fast . She is only 6wks old and very thin unlike her brother.

Joelle and the kittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A kitten that young should still be with its mother. What age was she when you got her? How much and what are you feeding her? She should definitely be on wet kitten food or at least kibble soaked in KMR or goat milk.

Priya26

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is with her mother, its my cats litter...

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
If it is a fast rate during exercise, check her chest. Kittens can have 'flat chest' or 'pectus excavatum', where the ribs are deformed and affect the amount of space in the chest cavity.

Priya26

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A kitten that young should still be with its mother. What age was she when you got her? How much and what are you feeding her? She should definitely be on wet kitten food or at least kibble soaked in KMR or goat milk.
She is with her mother but still very thin and looks weak ...... The weather in my place is quite dramatic is it possible she has pneumonia or something? How am i suppose to understand?

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is with her mother but still very thin and looks weak ...... The weather in my place is quite dramatic is it possible she has pneumonia or something? How am i suppose to understand?

if you are concerned cal your vet surely they can talk over the phone i don't know where your at but do you have any stores the might sell kitten milk replacer / nutri-cal supplement gel? these things i used on my now 7 y/o cat at 8 weeks when he stopped eating & drinking(under the advice of my vet) i fed him via syringe every 4-6 hours and used a fingers worth of gel smeered on his face once a day it could be mom dosent have enough milk or little one may have an underlying condition. talk to your vet and i wish you all the best.