Kitchen Tools You Can't Survive Without

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have quite small amount of kitchen tools currently, in addition to picture there are 3 oven pans, oven mittens, potato peeler, frying pan, kettle with lid, few glasses and forks, spoons, knives, also a brush to apply melted butter to bakings.
There is only 1 plate, that is pizza plate, pizza stone and pizza shovel.

upload_2017-12-8_15-29-25.png

Oh and there is 1 sealed container and I have outdoor knife which I use for everything that needs sharp knife, but that is pretty much what I have.

Today I bought that white pasty/pie making set, cost was only 4 euros for all three, also that timer which was 3.5 euros, that should improve my pastrypies a bit.

Without that tabletop mixer machine I would not survive, 2nd most important is that digital scale.

I don't have mixing bowls or measuring cups, first ones I need to shop, latter I don't really need, but it would be handy to have some kind of flour scoop.

Not sure if I need plastic, stone, steel or what kind of mixing bowl, making fillings would be bit easier if there would be some kind of bowl, but plastic take flavors so maybe several kinds is needed? (glass, metal, ceramic, plastic, maybe all of them?).

Oh and my kitchen is indeed quite small, can't really fit table in kitchen, but for example cookies I made on that desktop which is at right side of the stove, while oven pan was on top of oven. Dishes are done by hand at washing table that is on left side of the photo (not visible), then there is a wall so it is kind of kitchen closet (not sure what is correct translation) more than a real kitchen.

That stove is terrible, one lamp is broken and some previous user had not cleaned it at all, I have attempted to clean it many times, but some spots are not disappearing, also there are rust and everything, it goes only to 482F/250C and has very uneven temperature inside the oven, everything must be baked at the bottom and when using oven stove top gets too hot to touch, but you have to manage with what you have, I guess.

So what are your important tools in a kitchen?

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My favorite is my Kitchen Aid mixer that sits on the counter. I survived a long time without it. I just didn't know what I was missing. Now, I will never part with it. I also enjoy my stove which also has convection cooking.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I have several items (I love your picture!). I have a drawer full of various utensils that I use all the time: many wooden spoons (I love wooden spoons because they don't conduct heat), a Microplane (wonderful for zesting lemons and oranges and for grating fresh Parmesan and even chocolate), long-handled forks, my long-handled tongs (for grilling inside and outside and for moving meat around in pans on the stove without piercing), chopsticks (you'd be amazed at what all you can do with chopsticks!!).

A 12-cup Pyrex glass measuring cup. It's perfect for all kinds of things, from heating water in the microwave to making tea, even using it to throw a batch of biscuits or muffins together. Mom gave that to me decades ago and it's worth its weight in gold to me.

My Kitchen Aid mixers - I have two: a smaller tilt head, perfect for small batches of cookies or for throwing a cake together. The large professional KA is for making bread and pizza doughs with the dough hook and for whipping egg whites. Both have their places in the kitchen. So does my hand-held portable mixer, for whipping egg whites in the top of a double boiler to make seven-minute and other frostings.

The microwave. Yep, the microwave. Soften butter and chocolate and cream cheese, heat water and milk, quickly thaw frozen meats, bread, muffins, and the like, heat up leftovers. I use it to gently heat refrigerated leftover cat food for the kids. I have several cookbooks for the microwave and they have given me skills to use the microwave for actual cooking without having rubbery chicken. I can use the microwave to proof yeast dough in the winter when our house is a bit on the cool side.

Thermometers - An instant read thermometer. Perfect for the grill. Similarly, we use a probe thermometer for the grill when doing pork shoulders and whole chickens. I also use a probe thermometer sometimes in the kitchen oven for convection cooking. A candy thermometer for brittles and other candies.

Kitchen shears - For cutting mint and other herbs from the garden. For cutting up a whole chicken. Sometimes I'll use my shears for slicing through pizza.

Sharp, really, really sharp knives. I love my Shuns and try to keep them as sharp as possible. I also love Rada knives, made in the USA and not expensive. Perfect little paring knives. A good serrated knife for slicing bread and angel food cake.

A good rolling pin. I don't know how many batches of cookies my grandmother's rolling pin has rolled out. It's got a beautiful patina from all the butter and shortening. My MIL gave me her rolling pin, too. I love rolling pins.

A good oven stone. Not only for pizza, but also for bread. You can't go wrong with a pizza stone. I think mine's easily about 30 years old now. It makes great pizza. (In our family, pizza is a major food group!)

A fire extinguisher!!! Every kitchen needs a fire extinguisher and there are no exceptions! Keep it where you can easily grab it....and not close to the stove. If the stove is on fire and you can't get to your extinguisher, what good is it? If you only need it once in your life and you have it? Then it was worth it.

Our kitchen is small and I've mentioned before that countertop space is limited. We do have a lot of cabinets in the kitchen, for which I'm thankful. The last stove we bought has a double oven and uses convection as well as regular heating and that thing is wonderful for the holidays and for large family dinners. I truly do love to cook and bake and I'm probably happiest when I'm doing something in the kitchen.

I'll shut up now. (Sorry for the book)

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitchen tools I can't survive without? Well besides the obvious things like the stove and oven and microwave... I love my microplane, Cutco knives :loveeyes: , cast iron skillet, probe thermometer (I have never over cooked meat again since buying that), Veggie peeler that the blade goes horizontal and not vertical, food processer, emersion blender.

Maybe also my steamer pot. And I have another pot with a lid that has holes and it locks so you can drain pasta.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A good oven stone. Not only for pizza, but also for bread. You can't go wrong with a pizza stone. I think mine's easily about 30 years old now. It makes great pizza. (In our family, pizza is a major food group!)
I did enjoy reading your 'book' :)

I'm curious if you put bread directly on pizza stone or if you put it on oven pan so that there is some gap between pizza stone and the oven pan?

My pizza stone is quite thin, it is some kind of pottery kind of material.

Wood burning oven we used to put bread directly to bottom of oven and I have found out that almost everything I must bake at near the bottom of oven with this current oven, same was true with previous one.

Many recipes indicate middle rack, but that is not working out too well, lowest position seems to be only one that works somewhat, tends to bake bottoms bit too much, but that is better than middle position that scorches the tops while leaving bottoms raw.

Did I mention that I hate my oven? Landlord did call kitchen appliance service so that they would come to check my oven out, it has missing lamp, rust etc. Maybe they will replace it with better model, I wish!

My frying pan is cast iron, I got so annoyed with those aluminum frying pans that lasted only about a year, this cast iron pan is really great, food tastes better when made with it, also it will not wear out during my lifetime.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
It depends, jtbo jtbo . If I'm making conventional bread in a loaf pan, then I don't use the stone. I do have some stoneware loaf pans that work well. If I'm making a round bread or something that I can't just toss into a loaf pan, then I use the pizza stone. And I always use the pizza stone for pizza, calzones, stromboli, etc. When I make a galette, I use the stone for that, too. When I'm putting something directly onto the stone, I will preheat the stone for a good hour. Then I can put the pizza or whatever food on the hot stone, so the bottom gets a chance to brown a bit.

You cannot go wrong with cast iron. Those are wonderful pans. I have to be careful using cast iron on my stove because I have a glass-top stove. Old cast iron is heavy and then add the food to the pan and it's really heavy. Supposedly, heavy cast iron has broken glass-top stoves and they are expensive to replace. So it's not just a matter of not moving the pan around on the stove top and scratching the stove top, you also have to consider the weight of the pan with the food.

Today's cast iron pans aren't that heavy at all, not compared to the old Griswold cast iron pans. If you can find an old Griswold, you've got yourself a great pan! I have two; one was my great-grandmother's and the other one belonged to Rick's grandmother. Both are worth their weight in gold to me and I'm pretty meticulous about taking care of them. Fried chicken in a cast iron frying pan is the best dinner on earth; we don't have it that often because of the whole health thing, but I will make it on occasion. And cornbread in a cast iron pan is wonderful stuff. I'll do frittata in a cast iron pan, too, simply because I can put cast iron into the oven and not have to worry about it getting too hot. (Those aluminum pans you were talking about? A lot of times, you can't put them into an oven hotter than 350 - 400 degrees F.) And if you've taken care of your pan, eggs will slide right out.

You know, I'm wondering if you could put a cookie sheet on that lower rack and then put your food to be baked on top of the cookie sheet? Would that be enough to help to protect the bottom of your food from being over-baked? Or put your food on that middle rack, but then cover the top with foil for about half of your baking time and then remove the foil for the rest of the time? Would that help your top from getting scorched? You can always reuse your foil, too, if it didn't get marked up from your food.

When I'm baking pies, for example, I always do them on the middle rack. But if the pie is to be baked for 45 minutes, for example, I'll cover the top of the pie with a layer of aluminum foil for about 20 or 25 minutes to stop it from browning. Then I'll take the foil off for the remainder of the time to give the top a chance to brown. I've done that with bread, too, if I thought it was browning too much. It's just a thought and I realize that you already know it, but thought I'd throw it out there.

ETA: jtbo jtbo , I have a variety of mixing bowls, but most of these things were handed down to me by grandmothers, my mother, and Rick's mom. So I have a nice assortment of stainless mixing bowls (but they can't go into a microwave), many stoneware, ceramic, Pyrex, etc mixing bowls, and lots of the really old plastic Tupperware bowls as well as some Lock 'n' Lock bowls. I use the stainless most often with my mixers, but if I can just whisk something together (pancake batter, for example), I just use my Pyrex bowls. I tend to use the plastic stuff for storage more than anything. I like Lock 'n' Lock for storage, too, particularly for the freezer. Again, the only reason I have a collection is because they were given to me. If you have a couple of stainless mixing bowls (and you do from your stand mixer), you're in good shape. If you need something for the microwave, then get a couple of good glass bowls (that are microwave-safe). And honestly, that would be enough.

Last edited:

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Crock-Pots, and several of them. They make the best meat, chili, soup and stew. I also use them in the restaurant to keep food warm, even it isn't slow-cooked. You can slow-cook in a pot on the stove, but I think it's not as tasty. I have four large ones, and often, on a Sunday morning, have them all going with different meals to freeze for the month. There's also something comforting about a Crock-Pot of soup or chili cooking all day in the kitchen on a cold day.

I also use them to slow cook meat for the feral cats. I recently slow-cooked the Christmas ham bone, which had some hard-to-get meat. I threw it in the Crock-Pot, added a few cups of water, and cooked it for about 6 hours. The tender bits of meat fell off, and I used it and the broth to supplement their canned food. I heated it up (without the canned food) before feeding them, and they were drinking the hot broth on a bitterly cold day, and seemed to love it.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
We have accumulated many different kitchen gadgets and such over the years, but lately, more and more, I find myself ignoring most of it.

What I use the most:
1.5 quart size copper bottom Revere pan
large wok (teflon style... I need to replace!)
small and med flat Calphalon anodized pans
small broiling pan (toaster oven size)
silicon spatula
plastic scraper
pasta scoop
plastic serving spoon
scissors/shears
peeler (has to swivel well)
cheese grater (flat, 2 sizes of grate)
paring knives
med Forschner chopping (veggie) knife
plastic cutting boards (yes, bad, I know)
med stainless steel mixing bowl
tongs (salad & metal)
tea pot
pyrex glass measure (1 & 2 cup)
ziplock plastic containers
Foodsaver
food scale

I use the microwave, our toaster oven, and our gas stove for cooking. Sometimes I use the large gas oven for cookies or bread. Occasionally, I'll break out the crockpot for roast, stew, chili, or even mulled apple cider over the holidays.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally-My juicer!!!
(When produce season erupts, leftovers, ends, and rinds go into the juicer and we drink it and pets get the pulp, if they so desire. Our dogs love it, our cats are mixed. They like cucumber/squashes but dislike anything with carrots or apple, and we don't offer citrus to anyone...goes to compost.)

Keurig single brew
-I'm a lone morning coffee drinker and can't function without at least one cup, so this makes making a single cup easy.

Ugly arsed bottle opener
-This is personal as I remember this hanging on my childhood homes fridge since I can remember. It's ugly as sin, a mustard yellow thing with bronze looking ends but opens all bottles of juice, milk, applesauce, sauces, preserves, etc. without a bead of sweat. Ugly, ugly ugly but has a nice magnet and sticks to the fridge, as it did in my childhood as as that ugly damn thing does today =D

Personally and non-personally--
My kitchen shears.
-Cuts meat for humans and pets like a hot knife through butter. If I need to cut up food for us or cut up food for pets, it goes WAY fast and is very efficient!

Good pots and pans
-not a gadget but a good set of pots and pans that don't rust, corrode, or aren't a PITA to clean are such a good investment if you cook a lot.

Heavy duty knives
-keep them sharp and treat them well, and they'll treat you well.
Cutting vegetables, let alone meat, is a PITA when you're using dull knives.
If a new set is out of the question, find a good, reasonably priced sharpener and ask if they do kitchen knives. Most do. You'll be amazed.

(I can't stress this one enough)---RELIABLE BACK UP FREEZERS.
-Ever been entered in a dog or cat show knowing you have to leave very early in the morning (I'm talking 3-4AM), only to wake up to realize your freezer has died overnight and your food in said freezer is no longer frozen solid? Having a back up freezer will save tons of money (provided space is available) and will save you a huge head ache if the freezer dies at the worst time ever. If you have extra freezers and space, you chuck the food into the space and deal with the issue when you get home/off work/whatever.
If you have a close friend (even if they live 20 minute away) that has the same concerns, I'd consider talking with them on going in together (financially) to buy a community chest freezer for that purpose; extra storage, emergency space, etc., provided you trust they won't steal your food! =)

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I yse my glass pyrex bowl for mixing, big pots for cooking foods in, t-fal frying pan I picked up at a yard sale for $3! It wasnt scratched either. Its got 2 handles. One long one. One short one on other side for tipping. It fries food nicely. I also bought some new rubbermaid containers to store cooked food. I hate cheapo containers...I've become quite a snob about my tools...I do need a decent set of knives as the ones I have are not that sharp..i only use this one knife for chopping veggies...just a basic steak knife from a restaurant. I like it because its got a huge handle and makes easier for me to grip as my hands hurt most days it seems. Plus I am clumsy. I love my kitchen aid from my mom...when she passed away my sis told me to take it home. Glad I did. The dough hook pays for itself. Ive baked bread a few times last winter. Came out not bad either.
Dont have many measuring cups. Need a set as I'm missing a few from the set I had..yard sales are dime a dozen...will find some more. Glass measuring cup is nice to have but i have plastic.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
I got a really good deal on kitchen gadgets for a while, so my collection is especially large.

My vacuum sealer. I mostly use it for sous vide, but also for preserving. it is great to cut a large cheese wedge in half and vacuum seal half so it stays good longer, for example.

my sous vide circulator(s). I sous vide a lot. It is just such a great way to coo so many things.

My ISi whip. it makes whipepd cream, sure, but also other whips like cheese.

my soda siphon. It is great to be able to make delicious soda water.
my vollrath induction burner. I need the precision and control to simmer and similar actions. I could probably do without it if I had a gas stove, rather than an electric range, but I don't, so if i want to have any real control, I ned to use my induction burner.

my thermometers. My IR moreso than my probe, since I usually cook meat sous vide (and thus don't need a thermometer for it.)

My Searzall. Not only is it fun and effective at searing meat (and other things), it also doesn't fill my house with smoke like using cast iron would ( we don't have a good vent hood in my kitchen, and never will, since that sort fo upgrade makes no sense in a house we plan to replace in a couple of years.)

Our juicer (a cold press slow juicer by Omega). My wife and I juice regularly. it is an easy way to get our veggies.

Our cooking island. We replaced the table with a cooking island, and it was a big upgrade. We don't' eat at it much, but the added counter space has really helped in our small, somewhat overgadget stocked kitchen.

My dehydrator: I love jerky, and it is nicer and much more affordable to make my own.

My iced tea maker and my wife's coffee maker. I drink a lot of iced tea, and my wife is a very devoted coffee drinker ( despite my best efforts to convert her to tea.)

my crock pot. I don't use it super often, but I make all my soups in it.

the dishwasher. The house didn't come with one, and we only had room for an 18 inch unit, but it is such an improvement.

Our Reverse osmosis water filter. Having clean plentiful filtered water is extremely handy for cooking, making teas and coffee, etc.

our blender. I make a lot of smoothies (mostly for protein powder), and a good strong blender designed to make them helps a lot.

the usual: good pots and pans, spatula, tongs, knives, cutting boards, etc.

We have an assortment of more specialized kitchen gadgets ( a precision hot tea maker, an espresso maker, a precision smoker called, "the smoking gun", a KitchenAid professional mixer with nearly all the attachments they make, an immersion blender, a small deep fryer, a french fry maker, a rice maker, a jerky gun, a spiralizer, dutch oven, bread maker, and numerous others that are nice to have, but don't get used every week)

Last edited: