Kitchen aid, kenwood or sunbeam?

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've just broken my mixmaster glass bowl. I love my mix master. It's a little old sunbeam. It wasn't very expensive and I've had it for ten years so I'm Going to upgrade. I'll do my research but I would really appreciate your reviews on the mixmaster you have. Any owners of kitchen aids, sunbeams or kenwoods out there? They are the leading brands available to me.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think you will find that almost if not everyone in the U.S. will vote for the Kitchen Aid.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I have two Kitchen Aids.....Tammat, you cannot go wrong with a KA mixer. I have the Cobalt Blue classic KA and I use that for when I'm throwing together a cake or one batch of cookies. When I'm doing yeast dough or several batches of cookie dough at one time, I go for my Empire Red KA Pro. They both have their uses in my kitchen and I'd be lost without them.

Definitely KA here.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I bought a Kitchen Aid last year because I needed something powerful enough to mix gluten free bread doughs. It does the job in a great way.
Also, the potatoes are the creamiest. Everything I have done, the K/A has exceeded my expectations.

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
KitchenAid here

I purchased mine way back in 2002, and its still going strong. If you are leaning towards a KA, I would suggest minimum 450 watt. There are many different models out there now for the different markets. I think you can get as low as 250 watts for about $200.00, but in my opinion you may be disappointed if you like to do a lot of heavy-duty mixing. Beware of the refurbished models. The pro model which has been around forever, is now available at a much reduced price of about $300.00 for a machine that should cost $600.00+. This is most likely because these machines are refurbished or made with parts that are more lightweight.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so so much. Thanks for the links Karen. I'm sold. I'm going to hopefully go get one on Monday. It's a pity I don't live in the US though. I had a quick look in the shop window this morning on the way to work, I think it was an artisan stand $799. Yikes! I'm pretty sure they used to be $1000 though. Last time I was in the shop I saw a food processor. I really need one but thought it was pricey. After reading your reviews I think I'll get one of those too. Not Monday though!!! The $$$ shock maybe a bit too much all at once lol!!
Thanks again :)
I'll post a pic when I get it.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yikes!!  Shop around and look for sales if you can!  I was able to get mine a few days before Black Friday and get a really really good deal.  My old one hasn't died yet; but when I found that deal DH agreed to go for it as my Christmas present. 

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think there would be nearly as many of them sold here at that price.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got it!!!! It's The Artisan Platinum. The colour is Sugar Pearl Silver. It came with the glass bowl, flex edge beater, flat beater, dough hook and wire whip. I've been on the kitchenAid website all weekend watching demonstrations and reading recipes. The price tag makes me giddy still. That's why I wanted opinions from people who owned them and used them. Once again I thank you all for your help. :) here's a pic of my beauty. I have to go buy some butter and get to work!!

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Beautiful!  

Mine is red, like coca cola red.

One note about the plastic ring on the bottom of the glass bowl... it can get stuck pretty good sometimes.  I've found that running it under very hot water seems to help loosen it when needed. 

Of course, NOW that I think on it, if I were really clever, I'd put a very very thin layer of vaseline on the glass before attaching the plastic.

Apparently, I'm not very clever. 

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got it!!!! It's The Artisan Platinum. The colour is Sugar Pearl Silver. It came with the glass bowl, flex edge beater, flat beater, dough hook and wire whip. I've been on the kitchenAid website all weekend watching demonstrations and reading recipes. The price tag makes me giddy still. That's why I wanted opinions from people who owned them and used them. Once again I thank you all for your help.
here's a pic of my beauty. I have to go buy some butter and get to work!!
Congrats!!! I love that colour!  You'll get a whole lot of use out of it!

Welcome to the KitchenAid club!

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks FurmonsterMom. I didn't realise the plastic bit comes off. Thanks Natalie ca. I've just put a sponge cake in the oven. As I was pouring the batter into the tin I noticed a black cat hair!!! Oops.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Awesome! 
 That is a beautiful mixer! I hope you two have many happy years together!  

(You know, that mixer is beautiful on that wooden counter and up against your backsplash
)

I need to get the Flex beater. I still don't have one.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Congratulations! :clap: You bought the same color I have. :) Best of luck with it.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations! :clap: You bought the same color I have. :) Best of luck with it.
Thanks Karen. Katherine and I didn't have the best day yesterday actually. We made flops!!! That's ok. We will get used to each other. Katherine is what I named my KitchenAid. She's my new best friend ;)

Last edited:

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, very nice! ..
It looks almost like ice blue up against your blue backsplace at first glance, but is the brushed stainless look, yes?

Mine is a butter yellow colored mixer 

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
We should post pictures of our KAs! 

My red KA is called Big Red. The blue KA is Baby Blue. They've been called that forever.

Tammat, you were talking about food processors. I have a 12-cup KA food processor and wouldn't ever be without it. I went through two cheaper processors and broke both of them when trying to shred cheese. After I broke the second one, I went to KA and never looked back. I don't use it every day or even every week, but when I need it, it comes in handy. It lives on the kitchen counter next to Baby Blue. But it is not named....I don't know why.