Kip's tachnical coat term

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I absolutely adore studying cat genetics, colors and patterns. However, I'm a little stumped with one of the cats at the Humane Society where I volunteer. His name is Kip and he is what should be called a grey tabby, I would think, but instead of being just dark grey and like grey, he has cream, tan and even rusty red showing through in his coat. he has no stripes on his sides, back or neck, just on his tail and legs.

Would he be described as a Blue/Grey Tabby or something else?

Thanks for any help.   : )

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm a little stumped too, but mainly I would just like to say wow, what a beautiful little guy he is! Also, the last few pictures he's on an wooden-looking cat tree of sorts.. do you know what it is or where it's from? I'd really love to have something like that for my cats.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if the shelter bought it or built it. The cats adore climbing on it. It is fitted with toys, hammocks, beds, ramps, and even food and water stations. I'll have to ask one of these days.  : )

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if the shelter bought it or built it. The cats adore climbing on it. It is fitted with toys, hammocks, beds, ramps, and even food and water stations. I'll have to ask one of these days.  : )
Yeah, I sort of spotted some toys on there and some dishes, that's really what intrigued me on asking you about it. If you find out, do let me know! I have 14 cats, I think they'd really love something like that, aha.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Handsome boy! He appears to be a ticked tabby. The hairs are individually banded with color. Sometimes the cat has the tabby markings on legs and tail while the body coat is ticked.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
By the way, Kip was just adopted today!!! Yay for him!   : )

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Very handsome boy! He could be a proto-russian blue....   although he is probably as Posiepurrs tells, a blue ticked tabby.

I have heard about a street cat from Archangelsk (the site of the originals Russian blue) whom got adopted to Poland.  They called him for Lucky. Because he wasnt no typical Russian Blue, he was sort of a tabby-ish cat...  I hope he is alike this here boy...   :)

I would be proud of such proto-ancestors for my residents.