King Stumpy is gone

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's taken me a couple of days to be able to come out here and write about this. We had to let Stumpy go on Christmas Eve morning. He had gotten so bad that he quit eating and drinking, and had a massive seizure when he vomited. There was no specific disease that took his life, he was just old and done with life. He would have been 18 years old in April.

What can I ever say that would give justice to his life? He was king of my household since he was 18 months old. During that time, he ruled over as many as 17 cats and 5 dogs. Not only did he train the multitudes of cats that passed through my life in the last 16 years, he also trained all of the dogs. And he did this with a lifelong auto-immune disease.

Imagine a 17 year old cat with no teeth, half deaf, half blind, and bad arthritis putting a 120 pound dog in his place. He did that to the neighbor's dog who came by to visit one day. That was Stumpy.

Imagine a cat being idolized so much by his "minions", that they would try to nurse off of him, even when those cats were 12 years old themselves. That was Stumpy.

Imagine a 12 year old cat who just woke up from surgery to have all his teeth removed jump on a counter to eat the dry food that a vet tech was pouring into a bowl for another cat, then batting at the vet tech when she tried to take the bowl away from him. That was Stumpy.

Imagine a cat that spent hours upon hours purring or asleep on your chest, or snuggled up next to your chest when you were asleep. Then imagine that cat growling viciously at you if you shifted positions and disturbed him. That was Stumpy.

Imagine a cat that LOVED dogs so much that he spent hours snuggled up next to them (and growled at them if they moved). That was Stumpy.

Imagine a cat that lived for 8 years with little fur on his body because he was allergic to one of the things he loved the best, his dog pal Ellie Mae (his hair grew back a week after she crossed). That was Stumpy.

Imagine a cat that could control the behavior of a household of 17 feral born cats and keep a relative peace through his leadership. That was Stumpy.

Imagine a young cat spending hours flinging himself at the face of a 95 pound dog in rapturous play, just to have the dog slap him to the ground with his snowshoe sized paw. That was Stumpy.

Imagine an 18 month old "kitten" becoming alpha cat the moment that his role model died suddenly from heart failure, controlling his own grief to step into his ultimate role in life. That was Stumpy.

Imagine a kitten ripping a squirt bottle out of your hands when you held it up to warn him to stop a bad behavior (OK, so I was stupid with the squirt bottle back then). That was Stumpy.

Imagine a 5 week old feral born kitten, alone in a dirt floor storm cellar when a wooden crate toppled over and cut off half of his tail, and when I discovered him, fought me off like a hell-cat up until the time I dropped him on my husbands chest, when he decided to lay down, purr, then fall asleep. That was Stumpy.

Stumpy knew what he wanted in life with no uncertain terms, and got exactly what he wanted from it. He loved dogs, so took the time to train them so that they would bow down to him. He loved cats, so he smacked them into shape so that he could spend time with them. And he loved us, so he told us when he wanted love, and when he wanted us to stop what we were doing. He was the champion of his world and he never backed down from what he wanted.

There is a tremendous sized void in my heart and my household right now. While I normally resolve my own grief by throwing myself into helping the kids through their own grief, I'm finding that we are all trying to work through this together. We're all out of sorts and it's going to be a very long time before we start to heal. That is Stumpy.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Amy, l'm so, so sorry   
 We all know Stumpy was a special little boy, and reading your posts he was a character.

Have fun at the Bridge baby boy. It sounds like your going to keep some of the cats and dogs in order there  

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Amy, I'm so sorry to hear that he's gone from this world. Stumpy was obviously a very special boy who mastered every situation he found himself in and had the heart of a lion. Of course he's left an empty place in your family. He was unique. to all of you.

RIP, Stumpy, you're going to be missed so much.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, Amy.
  I'm so sorry to be reading this.  What a character he was
.  Even though there is such a void now, you will always have these wonderful memories to look back on.

As Susan said, he's probably already whipping all the cats and dogs (and whatever else) into shape and having a grand time!  Plus he's with Ellie Mae again .

Rule happily at the bridge, King Stumpy

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My heart is with you AMY....:( I´m really so sorry for this really unrepearable loss....:sniffle:
RIP dear Stumpy...Meowme miss you so much!...:(
My deep condolences AMY...:hugs: really so sorry...

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Amy, I'm so sorry he's gone but know he will always live in your heart. :rbheart:

david's steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for Stumpy's passing, he sounded like a true friend to you and your canine buddies, that is rare.  What a strong cat soul he was, how fortunate that you and he had crossed paths and hearts - RIP good friend Stumpy

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Amy, I'm so sorry for your loss of Stumpy.

Some cats are just big souls it's obvious Stumpy was one of them and that he was well loved (and adored) in your house.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

Amy.... I'm SO sorry. :heart2: I know he continued to amaze and surprise right up to the very end.... but it's still just crushing. :heart2: :rub: My heart is breaking for all of you.... :grphug2: :grphug2: :grphug2: :grphug2:

....the flip side to that, of course, is that Stumpy's with Ellie Mae, and that's worthy of a smile through the tears. :rbheart:

Holding all of you close to my heart during this difficult transition. :heart3:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't mention him by name, but Stumpy's favorite dog companion was the one were he launched himself into his face for hours on end. That would be Jethro. Stumpy taught Jethro to bat like a cat, but the problem with that was that Jethro was 95 pounds and had monster snowshoe sized paws. When Jethro would bat back at Stumpy, Stumpy would fling thru the air. It never stopped him from leaping back at Jethro for more. We've always kicked ourselves that we never got a video of the 2 of them playing.

Everyone is still a little bit off of their game. Muddy has visually relaxed and is actually playing more than he has in a couple years - Stumpy knew that Muddy is chronically ill and picked on him from time to time. Scarlett is her usual clingy self, but is subdued about it. Spanky has simply claimed Stumpy's chest sleeping spot. Pinky wanders up for scritches but doesn't stay very long - I've been finding him sleeping in areas away from others. He's always been my strongest griever. Weirdest of all is Lucky Pierre, the most feral of the gang, has suddenly decided that he really wants to be next to me or even in my lap. Poor Koko seems to be oblivious to everything, which is a good thing since her leukemia looks like it is causing another downturn. She's getting the most attention right now from me because I'm not sure how long she is going remain stable with her illness.

Got a call from the vets this afternoon. We had him cremated and his ashes are already available for us to pick up. One day we'll release his ashes in some grand area, but not here.

The worst moments for me are sitting at the computer (Stumpy spent most of that time in my lap), and at food time, when there is one less food bowl to fill. The counter looks empty without his bowl.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Amy,

I just saw this today.  I am so very sorry, what a magnificent fellow.  I would have loved to have met him.   I was sent this poem when I lost Patrick, and saved it.  Would like to now send it to you.

"I loved my friend

He went away from me.

There's nothing more to say.

The poem ends,

Soft as it began--

I loved my friend."

Langston Hughes

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Amy,

I just saw this today.  I am so very sorry, what a magnificent fellow.  I would have loved to have met him.   I was sent this poem when I lost Patrick, and saved it.  Would like to now send it to you.

"I loved my friend
He went away from me.
There's nothing more to say.
The poem ends,
Soft as it began--
I loved my friend."
      Langston Hughes
This, I will keep. Thank you!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Amy, I'm just seeing this now. :hugs:
Rest in peace, King Stumpy. He sounds like a unique and wonderful cat and you were lucky to have him enrich your life for so many years. :rbheart:

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I'm so sorry that this time has come.  Stumpy was such a force here too as you shared his personality with us.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Amy, I am very late in seeing this as I have been away from TCS for a bit. Wanted to jump in and add in my deepest sympathies and condolences for your loss. I am certain your gang is still trying to sort things out after their leader has passed. Hard on everyone. Hugs, prayers to you, hun. :hugs: :vibes: :hugs: :vibes: :hugs:

FLY FREELY :rbheart: STUMPY :rbheart: You are missed sorely and will forever be in your momma's heart. :heart3: :rbheart:

Last edited:

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you. My boys are playing hot potato with the alpha role. No one really wants it and they've just decided to take turns in that role when it happens to be convenient to them. And they aren't upset by it. Scarlett on the other hand is in-your-face clingy. She has never adapted to change very well. It is what it is.

loverly7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so very sorry about your Stumpy.  His personality shines through in your posts.  What a wonderful kitty he was.  Stumpy better watch out though.  My sweet Garfield is with him now, and Garfield was always in charge around this household.  He had to do no more than put out a paw very lightly to knock a kitty over...he was such a tough guy, though I never once heard him growl or hiss in all his nine years of life.  RIP, Stumpy...you are missed.

Hugs,

Amy, Furball in Heaven, Garfield in Heaven, Eclipse, Spooky, & Cutie