Kind Of Free-feeding? Also Temperature Of Environment?

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I kinda have two questions. I have two cats both about to turn one year old. I currently feed them at 7:10 am, 12:10pm, and 9:10pm. I feed them in a closed cage since the one cat will move the food out of the plate and onto the floor. I normally put around 100 grams in the cage on a plate at 7:10 and 9:10, but only 60 grams around lunch time. I normally just let them “free-feed” with these amounts and they almost always have it done before the next meal. Is this okay?

Also should I be worried that I have raw meat out for that long? The temperature of my apartment is usually 70-77 at all times.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the times are fine. I do the same thing except I do 4 feedings (I have another feeding around dinner time (5-6pm)).

How long does it usually take for them to eat the raw food? I personally don't like leaving raw food to sit out. I am lucky though that my cats always finish all of their food on the spot.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think the times are fine. I do the same thing except I do 4 feedings (I have another feeding around dinner time (5-6pm).

How long does it usually take for them to eat the raw food? I personally don't like leaving raw food to sit out. I am lucky though that my cats always finish all of their food on the spot.
It's hard to say. My apartment isn't large, usually at 700sq feet, and the cage is in my bedroom. Lately the two cats haven't being enjoying hanging out in my bedroom. Even though the bigger cat tree and windows to the bird is in that room, so I almost have to put them in there for them to "enjoy" the bedroom. And I do have to drag the older 11.5 month tuxedo female kitten to have her notice there is food there.

So maybe a few hours for them to eat it all?

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Would it be possible to do a 4th feeding so that you can spread the portions out even more? That way the food won't sit out as long.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Would it be possible to do a 4th feeding so that you can spread the portions out even more? That way the food won't sit out as long.
I could add another meal at 5:15 I suppose when I get back from work, really not much more effort from me, but my worry then is just them wanting to eat the food I guess. The tuxedo cat is almost never interested in food and I have to really persuade her to eat. Which usually means locking her up in the cage for 10 minutes until she finishes. But with this method which would be fairly close to free-feeding I guess I can just let them eat whenever and hope they eat it in appropriate times.

The orange cat does show more interest and will follow the plate, but lately he still follows the food, but will take a look at it and walk away. Not sure if he got a cold or something.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried sprinkling the food with a little bit of fortifloria? Your vet's office should have sample packets.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you tried sprinkling the food with a little bit of fortifloria? Your vet's office should have sample packets.
No, but I have tried a large variety of treats and this:
It mostly works, but I don't want to use it all the time, which is what I essentially would have to do.

Do you think Fortifloria would really make a difference compared to those two?

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Fortiflora might work better. The first ingredient is animal digest which in my experience makes cats go crazy. It's worth a shot.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Fortiflora might work better. The first ingredient is animal digest which in my experience makes cats go crazy. It's worth a shot.
Okay, so this?

I'll ask my vet if they have it, but in case they don't I could buy some of that I guess.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, so this?

I'll ask my vet if they have it, but in case they don't I could buy some of that I guess.
Yep, that's the one. It is pricey but I do think it's a good thing to have on hand, especially for times when cats refuse to eat or might be sick and need a little appetite stimulant. You don't have to use an entire packet if you're using it to induce appetite. You can just sprinkle a little and put the rest of the packet in the fridge. And I'm pretty sure unopened packets have a very very long shelf life.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yep, that's the one. It is pricey but I do think it's a good thing to have on hand, especially for times when cats refuse to eat or might be sick and need a little appetite stimulant. You don't have to use an entire packet if you're using it to induce appetite. You can just sprinkle a little and put the rest of the packet in the fridge. And I'm pretty sure unopened packets have a very very long shelf life.
Yeah just checked the local vets and pet stores, no luck...

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah just checked the local vets and pet stores, no luck...
Pet stores usually don't carry it, but I'm surprised your vet doesn't. Well, I guess you can just order from amazon.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Pet stores usually don't carry it, but I'm surprised your vet doesn't. Well, I guess you can just order from amazon.
Yeah I got it in the past at my old vet and at a emergency animal hospital, sadly I think I used it all up.

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If free feeding works for your cats, you could put out food twice a day and it will be fine. Even with those indoor temps the food will be ok to sit out that long. They key to successfully free feeding raw is to keep food in the bowl at all times, so you're better off not trying to regulate portions that closely.

I WISH I could have kept free feeding, because it's so convenient and my cats obviously prefer it. Unfortunately, because food is out all the time my kitties got picky - they'd hold out for their favorite foods, and I ended having to throw a lot of food out. Then they started getting competitive over the food bowls and that pretty much forced an end to free feeding. However, the meal plan deal is starting to go awry as Grazer Cat is staging a rebellion, while Vacuum Cleaner cat is always ready to raid Grazer's food bowl. Starting to think I will either have to go back to free feeding, or buy one of those expensive microchip feeding stations for Grazer Cat. The feeding stations would certainly make my life a lot easier...anyone have any experience with those? Otherwise, I might have to go back to free feeding and maybe try increasing the number of feeding stations to prevent guarding.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If free feeding works for your cats, you could put out food twice a day and it will be fine. Even with those indoor temps the food will be ok to sit out that long. They key to successfully free feeding raw is to keep food in the bowl at all times, so you're better off not trying to regulate portions that closely.

I WISH I could have kept free feeding, because it's so convenient and my cats obviously prefer it. Unfortunately, because food is out all the time my kitties got picky - they'd hold out for their favorite foods, and I ended having to throw a lot of food out. Then they started getting competitive over the food bowls and that pretty much forced an end to free feeding. However, the meal plan deal is starting to go awry as Grazer Cat is staging a rebellion, while Vacuum Cleaner cat is always ready to raid Grazer's food bowl. Starting to think I will either have to go back to free feeding, or buy one of those expensive microchip feeding stations for Grazer Cat. The feeding stations would certainly make my life a lot easier...anyone have any experience with those? Otherwise, I might have to go back to free feeding and maybe try increasing the number of feeding stations to prevent guarding.
Yeah my slight worry is that the orange kitten, although almost 10 month, is starting to show signs of gaining a bit too much weight.

Also that is another problem. I just made another two batches. One has main protein as chicken , beef, and turkey, other has main protein as chicken and pork. Problem is today I noticed that after lunch they left the beef chunks untouched. Granted the beef chunks are large, and the size of what you use in a beef stew. I'm sure when I get home they'll be gone, but they'll be lazy with it.