Kiki, Worries And Concerns Graphic Images

Flairey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi all! I’m fostering a pregnant cat named Kiki, she’s around four years old and this is her first litter. We were told the estimated date the kittens were conceived was sometime between Nov 28 2017 - Dec 3 2017.
She lost her mucus plug last Tuesday and since then has shown obvious signs of being close to queening, including nesting, she spends about 90% of her time in her nest. Today when I got home from school I was presented with a dead kitten, I believe it was a miscarriage as the kitten doesn’t look developed enough for this late in the pregnancy. I got home at 4:15, and the kitten was still warm when I got home. I will attach photos of the kitten so you can add in your thoughts in what may be going on. Since then, Kiki has yet to pass any other kittens and seems just fine, I’m posting this at 7:07. I just want to know what you guys are thinking about this, because it has me perplexed. I’ve fostered plenty a kitty who was expecting and none of their pregnancies have lasted this long or been this odd. For the last 5 days or so I’d say she’s been having CRAZY amounts of discharge. I know there are still other kittens alive in there because I could feel them moving around last night. The kitten that passed today is definitely not the one I felt moving last night.

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I’m sorry to hear that her first kitten didn’t make it. I understand that this is a stressful time, but that’s why we’re here for you. This article: Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens! answers some of your questions regarding time between kittens, and discharge.

Please do keep us posted. Thank you for fostering! People like you are so important for cats, and to the animal-loving community.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Flairey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yea if her kittens don’t make it I’m going to ask the shelters around me if they have any kittens that need a mom, that way her milk can go to a good cause.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It could be that the kitten was from a different dad, a few days younger then the others, or died in womb and her body aborted it. If you can feel the movement of the other kittens then they still have a chance and may be just fine. You may want to contact the group you foster with and see if you can get her into a vet just to check on her. If you stop feeling movement she does need to see a vet just to be sure she isn't in danger.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
I also am worried about the discharge comment... how much? What color? And does it smell?

Flairey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It doesn’t have a noticeable smell, but when I mean crazy amounts of discharge I mean every time she moves or sits, for the past week or so, she has left droplets and in some cases, if she sits longer she will leave small puddles. She used to lick it away before it was able to get anywhere but now there are spots everywhere around the house. Most of which are in her nesting box. She slept on me last night and she slept fine, doesn't seem to be in any pain. I still felt the little kittens moving inside of her, which is great! As of this morning when I left for school there have still not been any new kittens but it does appear that her vaginal opening is still dilated just as wide as yesterday when I arrived home to the kitten pictured above.

Flairey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im in school at the moment but when I get home I will call the person who I am fostering her from to see about getting her to the vet, that was my plan regardless if there still isn't any kittens by the time I get home around 4pm.

Flairey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will add too, that since the dead kitten was expelled yesterday, her discharge is much less, and seems far more normal to me. I noticed this yesterday after my initial post.