kidney problems in Zoe

peaches123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originganlly from Massachussetts now living in Nor
I have an 16 year old cat named Zoe.  For the past few weeks she has been vomiting and drinking tone of water.  I can barley scoop all the urine out of the litter box every day because so stuck  and clumped together at the corner where she pees.  I know this is some sort of kidney issue and I plan to make a visit to the vet on Monday.  I know the bill  will be enormous bill and am only on disability.  Never mind that I mentions this to my sister and she rolls her eyes and says "you can't diagnose her with kidney disease over the internet".  Well over the years I've taken care of a cat with kidney disease and had to give him sub Q IV fluids the last three years of his life, have taken care of cats with respiratory infections, ect. over the years, heart mummers also.  I find this offending because my sister thins she knows every thing and I know you can't help family but if any one could, 'I could use some validation about my diagnosis about my Zoe.  Thanks to all opinions both good and bad.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Vomiting and drinking tons of water can be a number of things, not just kidney issues. Symptoms can look very similar between different diseases. Drinking tons of water is a classic sign of diabetes, for example. Sticky large clumps of urine is typical for many diabetic cats.

The Internet may give you a general idea of what may be wrong but only the vet can make the diagnosis after doing a thorough exam and doing bloodwork.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peaches123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originganlly from Massachussetts now living in Nor
Thank you for your  input alpha cat.  Yes. you're right, it could be diabetes. She hasn't lost any weight and is a bit on the chunky side so I guess over weight people can get diabetes who are over weight why not cats?  I know I'm putting the cart before the horse and she just needs to see the vet.

marian100

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don't panic, it may or may not be kidney disease. Let your vet know you are strapped for cash, the advantage of doing this assists the vet design a care plan for whatever diagnosis they might make. A vet does NOT need to xray or scan to test for organ damage so ask for a blood test.

marian100

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
diabetes is usually, but not always, accompanied by dramatic weight loss despite good appetite. Kidney disease may decrease appetite, particularly for solid food.