abunaione

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So my cat just went for her yearly.
She is 14
Kidney levels are getting high.
Doctor recommends KD diet.
In the past, my other cats just wouldn't eat it.
This one is a very finicky eater.
Doesn't like wet food.
I thought i found one she would eat, but she changed her mind.
Any suggestions on what kidney food a problem eater might eat????

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I've had three kidney cats and not a single one ever ate a kidney diet. Our Vet said to just look for foods low in Phosphorus and try to get them to eat it. That's what we did and each cat lived for three years after diagnosis. Do you know what stage your girl is in? Take a peak all around the website LTS3 provided above as it has all kinds of wonderful information, not just food recommendations.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abunaione

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
According to the doctor, it's in the high normal.
He's a little concerned because it went high in a year.
She is 14, so getting old.
Got the food and crazy cat will eat it.
I'm surprised.
It is kind of expensive, but she doesn't eat much anyway.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not entirely sure what is different in kidney diet food than regular food but internet tells me renal diets are "restricted in protein and phosphorus and are generally supplemented with potassium, omega 3 fatty acids, and water-soluble vitamins."

There are quite a few low-phosphorus wet foods out there. I'm sure I saw in the regular line of Royal Canin and Pro Plan/Purina as well. But their protein levels aren't as low as renal foods. Like with Royal Canin their Feline Renal Support E Loaf in Sauce Canned Cat Food - Royal Canin is said to have maximum 9% protein, their regular wet foods are usually around minimum 7-9% and no info on the maximum.

Maybe there are safe food toppings you can use. Something to ask to the vet.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats with CKD don’t need a restricted protein diet. Most kidney diets have restricted protein because it’s difficult to restrict phosphorus without restricting protein. But, there are, and have been, some foods on the market with low phosphorus and high animal protein. These would be what I would use.

It’s also a good idea to learn to read pet food labels and calculate values as a percentage of calories. You can’t just read the as fed values on the can and compare min and max values. These values do not account for moisture in the diet and aren’t comparable. Catinfo.org is a good resource for learning to calculate the percentage of calories from protein, fat, and carbs. I would also call the pet food company and ask for exact values to use rather than min and max.

Personally I would do a completely wet diet, low in phosphorous, and high in animal protein. You can ask companies for phosphorus values too. Ask them for dmb phosphorous and try to stay below .8 at least.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A huge "yes" to what Azazel writes about kidney disease and diet. And the recommendation of Dr. Pierson's site: there's an entire section there (right here) about kidney disease and diet.

When we had a cat with mild kidney disease, we fed her a lot of Weruva foods that were relatively low in phosphorous -- I used 1% dry matter as my cutoff point. Our cat had lots of other health issues and kidney disease was not what killed her. But I can say that her kidney numbers did improve in her final months, after we changed her diet over to all wet foods with relatively low phosphorous. (The vet wanted to put her on prescription food but I refused.) Weruva worked really well for her. I read about it on a vet's site (I wish I remember whose!) as a brand that has worked well for many patients. Maybe the combination of low phosphorous, high water content, and good palatability were the key since many kidney cats are hesitant to eat at all.

Good luck!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
YES to everything A Azazel said, I don't have to repeat or add anything.

Also good for you A abunaione on getting bloodwork done yearly to catch this! I wish more people did that and didn't find out their cats were nearing kidney (or thyroid, or liver or whatever) issues until they start losing weight and showing symptoms.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A huge "yes" to what Azazel writes about kidney disease and diet. And the recommendation of Dr. Pierson's site: there's an entire section there (right here) about kidney disease and diet.

When we had a cat with mild kidney disease, we fed her a lot of Weruva foods that were relatively low in phosphorous -- I used 1% dry matter as my cutoff point. Our cat had lots of other health issues and kidney disease was not what killed her. But I can say that her kidney numbers did improve in her final months, after we changed her diet over to all wet foods with relatively low phosphorous. (The vet wanted to put her on prescription food but I refused.) Weruva worked really well for her. I read about it on a vet's site (I wish I remember whose!) as a brand that has worked well for many patients. Maybe the combination of low phosphorous, high water content, and good palatability were the key since many kidney cats are hesitant to eat at all.

Good luck!
Mikey & Molly's vet also recommends Weruva for kidney issues, just wish Weruva had more variety, e.g., turkey protein. We can't use their beef or lamb. But I agree, Weruva is excellent as far as quality protein and low phos, generally.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mikey & Molly's vet also recommends Weruva for kidney issues, just wish Weruva had more variety, e.g., turkey protein. We can't use their beef or lamb. But I agree, Weruva is excellent as far as quality protein and low phos, generally.
I agree about the lack of variety: their foods tend to be either very fish-based or very chicken-based! (And the same goes for their sister company, Soulistic.)

Some Weruva foods (Fowl Ball, from the Cats in the Kitchen canned line) also puree well, meaning they can work for a cat who doesn't like shreds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abunaione

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So she changed her mind again.
She will not eat the wet food.
Went through two cans over a week.
She wouldn't eat it at all.
Going back to the KD dry food.
She will still eat that.
For now anyway.
This is the first cat that is such a picky eater.
This is also our first female cat.